Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Moving from Denver to Boston at the end of the year and the single thing that keeps me up at night is the lack of flowy singletrack. All of the pics from riding around Boston look like huck to flat.
    PM me when you are in the general area of Boston and I will show you something which will blow your freaking mind. 14 miles top secret stash (legal, no commoner knows this place, only hard riders) and it is expert XC (no hucks required, but technical) it will make you rethink what you used to be riding.

Nope... no one knows what place I am talking about and I will never post it electronically either. madcap stuff. bring your A game I don't wait up j/k I always wait for show-n-tell rides. but next time, it is a left-for-dead event.

*it is 'sort of' comparable to Lynn, but a) better trails b) under far more trees so you don't bake in the sun all day

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    and a side note for anyone else

quote"All of the pics from riding around Boston look like huck to flat."

that is because all the cool stuff is ridden by old timers who don't have time to stop and take pictures or even need to post a snapchat or instagram 'lookit me' thing...

They think the mtb is their ally, but they merely adopted the bike. I was born on it, molded by it. I didnít tweet about anything until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but an excuse to stop. The cool spots betray you, because they belong to me. I will show you where I have made my home, whilst preparing to bring justice. Then, I will break you. Ah yes, I was wondering what would break first. Your spirit, or your body.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Flowy singletrack. Everyone has their own definition. Bermed corners of smooth sculpted clay/dirt. Not here. New England has lots of rocks. Big rocks on top of small ones, granite etc. Try willowdale in Topsfield. Less tech and more dirt. Russell mill in Chelmsford is built by mt bikers. Nice stuff by the NEMBA MV chapter. Try Harold Parker in Andover/ N.Andover. Lots more tech, can get 25+ miles if you connect to Ward hill. Plenty of really great riding opportunities, just not what you are used to. NEMBA has led rides most days in the Boston area. Check out the Greater Boston, North Shore and Merrimack Valley chapters on FB.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We don't have a lot of bermed trails here and have plenty of rocks (they are called the Rockies for a reason) and chundery trails. We ride a lot of trails that were originally burned in by motos in the 70s so while they can be flowy as can be (Buffalo Creek, Doctors Park, etc.), they can also be flowy, rocky and steep (Indian Creek). What we don't really have in abundance is roots. What are you guys running for tires?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That is like a favorite beer question. 29ers full sus. very popular here. Im 6'4" so the big wheels suit me fine. On my enduro 29 2.3's front and rear tubeless. Spec. butcher up front, purgatory on the rear. Big and knobby, heavy duty. 850 ish grams? 30 -32 psi up front, 32-25 psi rear at 235 lbs. Roval rims, medium width. I favor grip and durabilty over weight. Wet roots, good luck. Try the cont's with black chili compound. Others like the maxxis suff. The ardents in 2.4 are popular. Go see Brian @ JRA cycles, Medford, Great mt bike shop. Oh, beer. Try the Rich and Dans rye ipa from Harpoon, solid stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I ride a 29er+ WaltWorks and an Ibis Ripley (the Walt has been shipped to MA, but the Ripley stays in CO until I move). Run a 2.35 Hans Dampf and 2.25 RR on the Ripley and Surly Knard and Ardent on the WW. I'm big like you and surprised people like the Ardents with all the wet roots out there. They are a tire of choice out here, but its dry and dusty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Schwalbe's should do fine. I find them really pricey. Move date? Will you be in Boston?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    The Schwalbe's should do fine. I find them really pricey. Move date? Will you be in Boston?
    I find the Schwalbes have no peer save for price which at $84 a tire is pricey (especially on the rear which is more susceptible wear and tear). Move date is sometime in November/December. Need to close a deal here in Denver. We will be living in Boston.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Definitely enjoyed myself today at Vietnam. Soooooo different than riding back West, but no less fun. Really looking forward to exploring.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    PM me when you are in the general area of Boston and I will show you something which will blow your freaking mind. 14 miles top secret stash (legal, no commoner knows this place, only hard riders) and it is expert XC (no hucks required, but technical) it will make you rethink what you used to be riding.

Nope... no one knows what place I am talking about and I will never post it electronically either. madcap stuff. bring your A game I don't wait up j/k I always wait for show-n-tell rides. but next time, it is a left-for-dead event.

*it is 'sort of' comparable to Lynn, but a) better trails b) under far more trees so you don't bake in the sun all day
    Thanks for the tour today. Those trails lived up to the hype and could not believe that such beautiful hand-built singletrack could exist.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    They think the mtb is their ally, but they merely adopted the bike. I was born on it, molded by it. I didnít tweet about anything until I was already a man; by then, it was nothing to me but an excuse to stop. The cool spots betray you, because they belong to me. I will show you where I have made my home, whilst preparing to bring justice. Then, I will break you. Ah yes, I was wondering what would break first. Your spirit, or your body.
    Did you steal that from a Judas Priest song or something?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    ^ Batman movie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2