The Road Warrior

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Living in Beacon Hill and Riding to Trailhead(s): Doable?

I live in Los Angeles, and might be moving to Boston.

I'm curious if it's possible to ride to any trailheads outside of Boston, coming from Beacon Hill/Frog Pond downtown?

I ask because that's the type of riding that I prefer to do, riding straight from home to the trails. I've always done it that way.

And, what trails would these be that I'm riding to?

Thanks guys

PS: It'd be a bonus if you guys can tell me if living in South Boston is a good idea, or not.

mtbr member
    Well for mountain biking you need woods and there isn't any in Boston. But the closest places I can think of are the Middlesex Fells in Sommerville, Lynn Woods in Lynn, and Cutler Park in Newton. Check out my map below

mtbr member
    There's also some singletrack in Arlington, Lexington, and Belmont.

You can get out there using dedicated bike paths and only a few on-street sections, but you'll have a decent hour on pavement before reaching the good stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm pretty sure you can reach landlocked in Burlington/Lexington via the minute man.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The Land locked Forest in Bedford/ Burlington has some nice riding there, maybe 12 miles of trails. Strait out the Minute man bike path, 15 miles of pave or so. Cambridge or Somerville would put you closer to good singletrack.

mtbr member
    Try somerville. Fells is right there as well as minuteman which will get you to some pretty good trails.
    The summary is, there are no easy trails to get to from beacon hill. And South Boston isn't all bad anymore, in fact its pretty nice in places, just don't expect singletrack from your door.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It's going to be about ~10 miles to several different trailheads if you don't want to use the commuter rail or subway to cheat on your ride there. Middlesex Fells, Blue Hills, and Cutler Park are probably your closest bets.

mtbr member
    To clear up any out of towner confusion, South Boston is not Southie. South Boston is pretty nice. Southie ain't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, although it's still not my cup of tea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Southie is in South Boston last time I checked.

mtbr member
    South Boston is (in) Southie
    South End is not.

mtbr member
    I agree with DomPedro. Somerville (particularly Davis Square area) puts you in a good position to reach singletrack at the Fells, Belmont, Arlington and Burlington Landlocked Forest. On a long day (40+ miles) you can even reach Great Brook Farm, Estabrook Woods, and Russell Mill with a few short on-street sections.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd say you have an hour of pavement out of Beacon Hill before you hit dirt. Between traffic, pedestrians, dogs, and needing to find a dedicated bike trail... yeah, sorry, man.

Part of why I moved was to get closer to trails!

mtbr member
    from the center of charlestown it takes about 25 minutes to ride to the Fells. between 4.5 and 5 miles depending on what entrance to the Fells you use.