I like to ride my bike.

Landy's - deep frustration

My god am I annoyed with my LBS. I originally was getting both of the brakes bled, pads replaced, and a BB tune up. At first, I thought I would go to the big REI and have them do everything for half the price. But, then I said to myself that really, I should be good and support my LBS. Landry's in Danvers is where I got my first MTB a few years back. So I went there about a week ago to get both brakes bled, pads replaced, and BB repair thing. Originally the mechanic or manager offered $55 for all of it. Good deal, I was happy. But, I'm still low on money after paying off a loan from my mom on a Reba Team w/pop and U. So, I figured that I could wait a little. A few days later I came back even though I did not have the $ and turned it over to them. Now, the same guy that said it would cost $55 is saying that is would be $90. Too much so, I had them just bleed the rear and do the BB. Supposidly that would cost $35. But today When I went to pick it up, the bill was $107. They just did everything without even calling me. They almost replaced the BB after they discovered that it could not be fixed.

MAD. How the F___ do you go from $55-$107. My mom was mad, made them take the new pads out and somehow charge less. Anyway I'm super pi**ed. I've had this happen before.
    -------Sorry for long post
    Last edited by RideFaster; 03-29-2006 at 04:12 PM.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Black Lion

It happens all the time

The different price quotes can happen that is life son. But agreeing on work and price for said work then finding out the shop did more work incurring more cost, without calling you is very uncool. Unfortunately this kind of thing happens all day long. Some shops think they are doing you a favor with this practice.

There may have been a communication issue in this instance. Landry's in Danvers has a pretty good rep. Usually.

Greg
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Unfortunately you have to get them to write it all down. Write the things they're going to do, the parts involved, and the prices for each. If you have it in writing, they can't go back on their word. I've had similar things happen at my LBS, not just to me but to friends of mine, and it's one of the reasons I don't go back there. Unfortunately this doesn't help you now, but in the future it'll help you out.

Beat on the Brat
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    My god am I annoyed with my LBS. I originally was getting both of the brakes bled, pads replaced, and a BB tune up. At first, I thought I would go to the big REI and have them do everything for half the price. But, then I said to myself that really, I should be good and support my LBS. Landry's in Danvers is where I got my first MTB a few years back. So I went there about a week ago to get both brakes bled, pads replaced, and BB repair thing. Originally the mechanic or manager offered $55 for all of it. Good deal, I was happy. But, I'm still low on money after paying off a loan from my mom on a Reba Team w/pop and U. So, I figured that I could wait a little. A few days later I came back even though I did not have the $ and turned it over to them. Now, the same guy that said it would cost $55 is saying that is would be $90. Too much so, I had them just bleed the rear and do the BB. Supposidly that would cost $35. But today When I went to pick it up, the bill was $107. They just did everything without even calling me. They almost replaced the BB after they discovered that it could not be fixed.

MAD. How the F___ do you go from $55-$107. My mom was mad, made them take the new pads out and somehow charge less. Anyway I'm super pi**ed. I've had this happen before.
    -------Sorry for long post
    I know that I have posted my frustration with Landry's in the past. They BITE! Dude, if you're in the Danvers area, go to Western Cycle in downtown Danvers. Those guys are the BOMB and will always give you a fair price. I have been doing business with them since I was on training wheels back in the 70's, and they've never done me wrong!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Good experience with Landry's

Just for perspective I have had a good service experience with Landry's of Norwood. I needed a new fork installed, and also wanted to know how to do it.

The guys there scheduled time with me so that I could come in and have them give me a lesson on fork installation, as well as use their tools etc...

They only billed for the installation itself, no cost for the hands on training.

In contrast other shops were not open to what Landry's did.

one less car

Western Cycle Rocks!

If you're on the north shore of boston, you got to go to Western Cycle.

Beat on the Brat
    Quote Originally Posted by cvviol
    Just for perspective I have had a good service experience with Landry's of Norwood. I needed a new fork installed, and also wanted to know how to do it.

The guys there scheduled time with me so that I could come in and have them give me a lesson on fork installation, as well as use their tools etc...

They only billed for the installation itself, no cost for the hands on training.

I didn't even know that they had a shop in Norwood. Here's my experiences with 3 of their other shops:

Framingham (now Natick) - Had a wheel built there. Went to pick it up, and after they tried to overcharge me for the build, I threw the wheel on my bike and started to pedal out of the parking lot. Before I even got out of the lot the wheel was so out of true that it was rubbing on the frame! Just the force of me pedaling knocked it out of true!!! Brought it back in and the "tech" says "that's not THAT bad". Really??? He then "re-trues" the wheel and this time I made it two blocks away before it was out of true again. Had to pay a real tech to fix it.

Westoboro - Listened to 2 of their sales people make snyde remarks to each other about every customer who walked through the door who didn't look like they were total techno-weenies. This was while my friend was outside test-riding a Stumpjumper out in the parking lot.

Danvers - Got attitude from one of their employees when I was in there asking if they had any cheap ridgid forks around that they wanted to sell for a beater I was building. Then he tried to sell me this $80 ridgid fork even after I told him it was a beater.

Beat on the Brat
    Quote Originally Posted by cvviol

I didn't even know that they had a shop in Norwood. Here's my experiences with 3 of their other shops:

Framingham (now Natick) - Had a wheel built there. Went to pick it up, and after they tried to overcharge me for the build, I threw the wheel on my bike and started to pedal out of the parking lot. Before I even got out of the lot the wheel was so out of true that it was rubbing on the frame! Just the force of me pedaling knocked it out of true!!! Brought it back in and the "tech" says "that's not THAT bad". Really??? He then "re-trues" the wheel and this time I made it two blocks away before it was out of true again. Had to pay a real tech to fix it.

Westoboro - Listened to 2 of their sales people make snyde remarks to each other about every customer who walked through the door who didn't look like they were total techno-weenies. This was while my friend was outside test-riding a Stumpjumper out in the parking lot.

Danvers - Got attitude from one of their employees when I was in there asking if they had any cheap ridgid forks around that they wanted to sell for a beater I was building. Then he tried to sell me this $80 ridgid fork even after I told him it was for a beater build.

mtbr member
    I've never had a problem with Landry's...I just dealt with them twice in the past month - no complaints, good attitudes, happy with the service and the price I paid for it.

Unfortunately with anything, someone is bound to have a bad experience even with the best of the bunch....I personally am cool with that just as long as it's not a repeat offender like a BeyondBikes.com, for example!

Just my 2 cents...

Beat on the Brat
    Quote Originally Posted by whittij
    If you're on the north shore of boston, you got to go to Western Cycle.
    You got that right! The least pretentious shop on the North Shore! And they're not the corporate atmosphere that Landry's has become.

KB1LQC
    Yeah, Someitmes miss pricings happen by accident. I work at a LBS not too far from landry's . Just a Ma and Pa type Bike store one outlet nice 'n small. Even that happends to us. However, there is NO reason they should have NOT called you to agree to put in parts. I could see if a LBS accidently re adjusted the gears or breakes because they were absolutely unusable or sometime. But installing parts is a different catagory.

my 2 cents
    Bryce S.

Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
    Electrical Engineering 2012!

mtbr member
    I've had nothing but great experiences with Westboro Landrys, many guys in my office go there as well, they have several excellent mechanics and salespeople. Some of the shop services are expensive however I do all my own stuff (unless it its warranty-related).

Ridefaster, I'd suggest budgeting a little $$ each month towards tools and learning how to fix some stuff yourself, its fun and rewarding

Quote Originally Posted by oddestfellow

Danvers - Got attitude from one of their employees when I was in there asking if they had any cheap ridgid forks around that they wanted to sell for a beater I was building. Then he tried to sell me this $80 ridgid fork even after I told him it was a beater.

mtbr member
    welcome to boston. From my experiences, techs at LBS's in boston are worse the used car salesmen. (i grew up in CT and go to school in boston, CT bikes shops are much more honest) Ive raced for a while and have always done work on my bike by myself, so i know how much time it takes to do just about anything on a bike. Ive gone to several bike shops to test out how much i can trust the techs. all bikes shops ive been too are looking to take advantage of ignorant bikers, doing anything to rip you off.