mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Landlocked parking

Is there anywhere near exit 26 off of Route 3 that I could park? Driving all the way around to the other side is silly to me if I don't have to.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    There is some parking under construction in Bedford. It by the mill falls.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you're heading east on 62, the first light after RT3 is the intersection with Mitre on the left. On the right is a commercial building that has been vacant for years. I usually park there. Certainly not legal per se, but no one has hassled me. You could also go a little further down and park behind Bamboo if this makes you nervous.

Another option is here: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.49...num=1&t=h&z=20

The trail is a little grown over, but obvious once you get a little off of the street. Pay attention to the map, it is the first break in the curb after the large open pit/dirt piles(or first break before if coming from Rt 3). The trail is marked with blue ribbons and obvious once you get about 10ft off of the street. This is a pretty deserted residential street and we just park on the side. I wouldn't show up here with a crew of five cars, but the neighbors walking about have always been cheerful and friendly when I park here.

EDIT: Here is the commercial lot I'm referring to, down to the exact parking spot.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.50...num=1&t=h&z=19

Here is the Bamboo/Flatbread lot. This lot tends to get packed during peak hours so I would avoid squatting if it's busy.
    https://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.50...num=1&t=h&z=17
    Last edited by car_nut; 09-13-2012 at 04:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks! That vacant lot was pretty much exactly along the lines of what I was thinking, I just wasn't positive if there was anything like that in the area.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinF View Post
    Thanks! That vacant lot was pretty much exactly along the lines of what I was thinking, I just wasn't positive if there was anything like that in the area.
    I've done the same there - never had any trouble. Just stay off to the corner and don't draw attention. You know, the usual MTB parking plan.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi car_nut,

I work at one of the buildings on Network drive right near Flatbread. When you park in the empty commercial lot. how do you avoid crossing 62? Is there a shortcut along route 62 on the left? I really don't want to cross 62 to ride up the right side to only cross over again. Where do you leave 62 to head to the Forest? Google maps indicates that Old Burlington Road may or may not exist across from the ramps to route 3 south. It would be nice if I could pedal from work to the Forest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I just crossed route 62. Didn't really think it was too big of a deal. Plus coming back is even easier since you just stay on the right side where you parked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rdb View Post
    Hi car_nut,

I work at one of the buildings on Network drive right near Flatbread. When you park in the empty commercial lot. how do you avoid crossing 62? Is there a shortcut along route 62 on the left? I really don't want to cross 62 to ride up the right side to only cross over again. Where do you leave 62 to head to the Forest? Google maps indicates that Old Burlington Road may or may not exist across from the ramps to route 3 south. It would be nice if I could pedal from work to the Forest.
    If you zoom in on this in satellite view you'll see where I go. The trace gets a little wonky under the overpass since the GPS lost reception, but you get the idea.
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 6miles near Bedford | Times and Records | Strava

I ride the sidewalk on the left side of the road(I know, but it's only 75 yds) from the last parking lot, across the Rt-3 off ramp and towards the Rt-3 overpass. When you're about 2/3rds of the way to the overpass, there is a break in the guard rail. Follow that trail up and under the overpass. Take an immediate left at the end and follow the trail parallel to Rt-3.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks! I was hoping there was a trail that avoided the roads.