mtbr member
    Mar 2010

land locked forest riders question

after work i went to land lock and did a walk thru , as you get to the top of the hill there is a trail that breaks to the left and one to the right about 20-30 yrds up , which is the best trail to start on ? is there stuff to hit on both ? walked the trail on the right about 100 feet in and did not see much . but it was getting dark . any info will help going to try a early ride sat or sunday morning .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Where did you park? The place isn't that large and most of the trails are set up as loops that kind of come back to the same main path that heads down to Rt3. There is a lot of single track with a few spots for drops mixed in here and there. One path has a series of wood ramps for jumping though I'd inspect them before use. Some of the less traveled looking trails will usually be tighter/techier stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Good job! Tips

Quote Originally Posted by tmhar28
    after work i went to land lock and did a walk thru , as you get to the top of the hill there is a trail that breaks to the left and one to the right about 20-30 yrds up , which is the best trail to start on ? is there stuff to hit on both ? walked the trail on the right about 100 feet in and did not see much . but it was getting dark . any info will help going to try a early ride sat or sunday morning .
    It sounds to me like you went up the hill on the powerlines road, and saw trails to the left, and then off to the right, correct? if so, you'll find the trail to the right contains a couple of fast, flowy loops which return back to the powerlines quickly, and serve as a good warmup. The trail to the left is the first of two, which lead NW parallel to each other for quite a distance, until merging in pine woods, and leading into the parcel. It's not until quite a ways in that you get any of the good trails. This map http://www.landlockedforest.com/trail%20map.7.31.09.pdf is quite accurate and useful for finding your way around in there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yes, i like going left from the powerlines onto that yellow trail, and following most of the whole yellow loop, but mixing in some blue trail tracks as well.

I think it's alot of fun in there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Do you guys have a preferred direction,clockwise/counter, to ride (specifically for a first timer)? Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I prefer generally counter clockwise, although pretty much everything in there is fun both directions. a notable exception is the rocky, twisty loop which reminds me of Harold Parker. It is located somewhere in between "tire at fork" and "tire around tree", and is much more fun clockwise. if you can find the "blue crate trail" which is a little northwest of "tire around tree," it is fun both directions, really flowy with some fun obstacles, but definitely more fun coming down to the crate, than heading up from the crate. neither of those trails is on the map, by the way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    phipsi, thanks for the tips... the blue crate trail was phenomenal!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    phipsi, ditto on the tips. I haven't got to the area with the blue crate yet, but it sounds like fun. Here is an updated map with terrain and intersection numbers--

http://landlockedforest.com/trailmap6-13-2010.pdf

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Anybody thinking about riding there Sat? the 26th? I may check it out.

B

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I would, except i need a new rear wheel- bent beyond repair last time I went to Vietnam, broken spoke, etc. Getting a new set of Sun Singletracks laced to Shimano XT hubs- can't wait to get back out!

mtbr member
    Resurrecting an old thread. Was in there for the first last week. Nemba has done a fantastic job in such a small place. Which direction is better on the trail to the right on the powerline. It starts or ends on 12 or 13 in the trail map.
    The serpentine in the middle was also cool
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

cash money
    This is an awesome place, I have ridden here many times. The abandoned cars add some good scenery too.
    I work at a bike shop. Trek, Gt, fuji, DB, etc...

2012 Trek Superfly 100 al pro-sold
    Soon to be 2014 trek slash 8

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I finally got a chance to check out land locked today, not a bad after work place to ride at all. The built up jumps were nice and the one, sort of dirt jump, isn't bad.

Is there any dirt jumps left anywhere near Boston? I've seen all kinds of videos from some Fenway jumps that have been torn down for years now, just wondering. I'm sure most people won't want to list a location on here but if you can give me any kind of idea I'll see if some of the more entrenched locals I know can point me in the right direction.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Russell Mill pump track. Not a dirt jump line, but maintained by the town/NEMBA and a solid, fun few lines.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    Is there any dirt jumps left anywhere near Boston? I've seen all kinds of videos from some Fenway jumps that have been torn down for years now, just wondering. I'm sure most people won't want to list a location on here but if you can give me any kind of idea I'll see if some of the more entrenched locals I know can point me in the right direction.
    Google "prison trails billerica". Not sure if these are still around but it looks like there is a nice dirt jump trail there. There's a bunch of youtube vids from about 5 years ago from this area.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Thanks, TNeed. Those are exactly what I'm looking for, I'll see if they're still around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    NEMBA did do a nice job on this small area. They must have put lots of work into building all the single track. Fast and smooth. We didn't get a chance to go the smaller portion on the other side of the power lines. Did we miss anything good?
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    I definitely enjoy the landlocked forest and go in and take my first right from the power lines and go counter clockwise... It's a nice little circuit.