Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Kona-Kenda NEMBA RIde at Wendell SF 7/1

2K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  woodsguy 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

We (Pioneer Valley Chapter of NEMBA) along with our sponsors KONA and KENDA will be hosting an adventure series ride on Sunday JULY 1st.

We'll have a good, rugged, mostly single track marked loop for advanced and intermediate riders.

There will also be at least one guided beginner ride (possibly) more-and I'm hoping to get a few ride leaders for a guided, advanced epic loop.

It looks like we'll also have some demo bikes on hand from Iron Horse, K2, and Possibly Giant (I believe that is in the works-no promises).

There will be some quality Barbecue available as well.

And as always, there will be a designated place to convene for post ride "refreshments"

So here's the basics-Hope to see you all at wendell.

WHAT: KONA/KENDA Adventure Series ride at Wendell SF in Wendell, MA

WHEN: July 1st-Sunday: Registration is between 9-11 am.

WHERE: WEndell SF-on Montague RD in Wendell, MA

Any questions?? Please feel free to PM me.

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
BEGINNERS!: Hey All, I've got a leader for one guided beginner tour of Wendell--Going out from the registration area at 10:00am.

EVERYONE ELSE: with some encouragement we've laid out a new route at Wendell-most notable because
1.it'll feature some new trails (but alas, not the mother of all trails-as it just ain't ready...)

2. It'll offer some serious opportunities for extended riding beyond the forest boundaries into leverett.

3. Those who've done one of our rides before might recall the one long, helacious grunt climb up to the lookouts near the end of the ride. And I'm sure you thought-what the heck is wrong with these PV-knuckleheads--don't they realize this would be a great downhill--why are the taunting us...well, we've decided we agree-The Steep climb to the lookouts is now the challenging descent from the lookouts (of course, now you'll have climb the hannah swarton....)

We'll be out all week touching up the trails for the ride so conditions ought to be great.

See ya all on Sunday 9-11am

#8 ·
Come on out to Wendell

Swooping Downhills, Challenging Climbs, Scenic Views, Twisty Singletrack, Rugged FireRoads, Gnarly Rock Gardens, even a few Hucks!

Come ride the best Massachusetts has to offer.

This Sunday July 1 - Start your 4th of July Week off with a BANG

details at

http://www.mtbadventureseries.org/mtbadventure/Wendell.html

Hope you all can make it!

#9 ·
hado_pv said:
Swooping Downhills, Challenging Climbs, Scenic Views, Twisty Singletrack, Rugged FireRoads, Gnarly Rock Gardens, even a few Hucks!

Come ride the best Massachusetts has to offer.

This Sunday July 1 - Start your 4th of July Week off with a BANG

details at

http://www.mtbadventureseries.org/mtbadventure/Wendell.html

Hope you all can make it!
Well said, H. I know this forum is dominated by our eastern, ma friends-I hope they come on out and see what's happening in the wild west! It's not that far, really. See Ya sunday.

#15 ·
Ok these are probably a dumb question and I appologize for asking both but...

1. Will credit cards be accepted for the registratioin fees or is it cash only?
2. I ve been putting off joining nemba for a little while now so I plan to get that done while im there. Will it go towards a chapter of my choice or will I be signing up with who ever is hosting the event? Basically I want to go with BVNEMBA since thats who I ve been riding with and they are the most local. Thanks.

#17 ·
There will be a 9:30 guided group ride for advanced riders (at a friendly-no drop pace)

However-the marked route for advanced riders can be self-guided as well--since you're a local dfinn-please stop by and say hi--I'd love to get more local riders helping out with our trail efforts.

See ya tmorrow! Route is awesome by the way.

#18 ·
strangeland2 said:
Ok these are probably a dumb question and I appologize for asking both but...

1. Will credit cards be accepted for the registratioin fees or is it cash only?
2. I ve been putting off joining nemba for a little while now so I plan to get that done while im there. Will it go towards a chapter of my choice or will I be signing up with who ever is hosting the event? Basically I want to go with BVNEMBA since thats who I ve been riding with and they are the most local. Thanks.
Not dumb questions, and others will probably want to know as well

Yes CC is OK for registration and Dues Payments at the site.

Yes you can designate any chapter of NEMBA you choose.

For the food you will need cash. See the in-process photos Jaime has posted on the NEMBA forum - it looks yummy.

See you in the morning!

H.

#19 ·
However-the marked route for advanced riders can be self-guided as well--since you're a local dfinn-please stop by and say hi--I'd love to get more local riders helping out with our trail efforts.
Sure thing. I don't think I'll be making the 9:30 ride but I'll probably be there sometime around 10 or 11. I'd be more than willing to take a group out at that time if anyone is interested. Does the marked route include any of these new trails you mentioned?

I'm looking forward to riding the new trails, as far as I know I haven't ridden them yet.

#20 ·
The New Trails: re-route off of ruggles pond-adds about 1/2 mile new trail (called Two Brothers Trail btw) Included!

The New CCC Trail-near the end of Ruggle Pond/ Pine Tree Trail-short up and over with some challenging technical features-Included!

The Trail that By-Passes the Tornado damage on Wicket Pond (called Wickett Pond escape) and the Trail after it-are included.

About 4 miles of new trails in there--the biggest new trail (2.5 mile bruiser!!) just ain't ready for prime time yet.

We rode the whole route as we marked it today--It'll be the best route and the most trail we've had at any event. Bring Water, though!

#21 ·
You know-these events, in th end are always so weather dependent.....What a Friggin' perfect day-low 70's, bright sun, no humidity-bone dry trails-ah, got to love that.

Just wanted to thank the 130 or so riders who came out, kicked in, and spun tires around the hilly, rocky glory of Wendell SF. I hope everyone had fun, enjoyed the bbQ and the good vibes. As most of you know-over the last 15 year Massachusetts (and Ct, RI, NH, ME, and VT) have seen a boom in trail creation and land access, a rise in responsible trail maintainance, and a general elevation in the esteem in which mountain biking and mountain bikers are held-and this is due squarely to the vibrancy of the regional bikers themselves. To that end, I'm grateful to all those that come out and visibly and vocally support the work we do in our state parks-and enjoy the fruits of our labor to the fullest.

Anyway-I've got to go out and spend a day taking down all those Pink arrows! Enjoy the fall-like weather!

#22 ·
Great time yesterday. Trails were in awesome shape, weater was perfect, pace was quick (I slept well last night), and the company plesant. Awesome pork sandwiches as well. One wasn't enough for me, I had to get two!

Anyway, I didn't take many pictures but I did take about 50 minutes of helmet camera footage on the long loop and grabbed about 50 pics from that.

Below is the link to the slideshow. You can click the icon in the middle of the screen to view it full screen. However, I recommend not using the full screen. It streaches the images so it actually looks a little worse. There is music so adjust your volume accordingly. If the music doesn't start right away you will have to restart the show (sometimes the show starts before the music is done downloading).

Slideshow Link

Enjoy!
Kevin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.