mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Kid friendly terrain in MA

Hey all,

I was wondering if you could shed some light on kid friendly trail systems in MA?

I have taken my kids to Callahan, Great Brook, and Russell Mills. They really started liking mtn biking last summer, so looking for new places to ride next summer.

They love the pump track at Russell Mills and some of the trails there, some are too rocky and advanced for their skill level though. They enjoyed riding at Great Brook, nice trails, good views, fairly flat, ice cream at end. We live close to Callahan, which is OK, but not great.

The terrain should be advanced beginner, not a lot of hills. I'd like to find some places that have faster and flowy stuff, but I know we don't find that a lot here in MA.

I was thinking of checking out Cutler Park in Needham and making a trek to Otis sometime. I have not been to Cutler in years and have never been to Otis.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Its hilly, but its a fantastic ride, look at Duxbury. Only technical stuff are lots of roots when you get down to the lake level.

Tool
    I wouldn't recommend Otis for the kids. It's not very technical, but it's constantly up and down. Despite the fact that none of the hills are very big, it can wear you out quite quickly if you're not used to it. ToT is similar.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Cutler park - Def kid friendly trails. Go right from the parking lot and then take the fork to the right of the pond for some nice flowy trails. It does have some hills that can be hard to get up though.

Willowdale - I know I'll probably get skewered for this one, but some of the trails at willowdale are pretty easy and fun to ride...some are not though.

Blue hills - The pond side (white loop I think) is rocky but nothing very technical (just make sure you stay on the white loop). Across the street (by the police barracks) is where it gets hilly and downhills can be a handful for beginners. Plus during the summer they can go swimming in the pond afterwards.

Harold parker - nope, none of it...maybe if you stick to the fire roads.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Try wompatuck. Lots of singletrack and old jeep roads. Plus a lot of paved roads throughout if tout kid gets tired and you need to bail. I took my seven year old out for the first time there this fall and he loved it

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good suggestions so far, thanks for your help. My kids are just turned 13 and 11. They are in pretty good shape from soccer and lax, but hilly mtn bike riding kills them for some reason, especially when it's hot out.

I have not been to Otis, Willowdale or Wompatauck. I used to ride Blue Hills once in a while after work when I had a job in Needham. Blue Hills was pretty tech in some spots, but I should go check it out again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nail Every Trail View Post
    Good suggestions so far, thanks for your help. My kids are just turned 13 and 11. They are in pretty good shape from soccer and lax, but hilly mtn bike riding kills them for some reason, especially when it's hot out.

I have not been to Otis, Willowdale or Wompatauck. I used to ride Blue Hills once in a while after work when I had a job in Needham. Blue Hills was pretty tech in some spots, but I should go check it out again.
    The blue trail is pretty technical, but the white trail is def. easier/wider. For easy trails you would be restricted to the south side (and miss a lot of the fun parts!)

mtbr member
    You don't have to go very far for some really good beginner trails.

There are some great trails in Weston. I haven't fully explored Fiske Town Forest, but what I've seen so far I liked.

Also the Western Greenway trails are pretty tame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey378 View Post
    Try wompatuck. Lots of singletrack and old jeep roads. Plus a lot of paved roads throughout if tout kid gets tired and you need to bail. I took my seven year old out for the first time there this fall and he loved it
    I believe womp as a whole can be hit or miss depending on the age of the kids. Younger I'd stick to the northern section of the park. Small hills flatter ride, some obstacles. Once you start getting into the middle sections you'll encounter more mud, rock garden, and tougher roots. Of course prospect hill. Not bad Ive seen kid racer do it, but it wasn't pretty.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Both Rocky Woods in Medfield and Adams Farm in Walpole are fun to poke around in. Adams especially is quite flat. Rocky Woods is not really technical but has allot more ups and downs and can make you work a bit. Both are Trustees of the Reservation properties and may have mtn. bike limitations in force for the winter months.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    If you want to take a trip to Western Mass, Robinson State Park's trails are as kid friendly as trails get.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You'd find plenty they can handle at Willowdale. I say that as a proud Willowdale rider.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I think Landlock in Bedford would be pretty kid friendly. I plan to bring my son over there as soon as its dry and snow free.
    rise above

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Harold Parker SF in Andover. Most of the flat stuff is on the Double track. Check out the Beginner loop on the wicked ride of the east maps. About 7 miles. I would also check out Lowell , Dracut SF, some hills but not too many.

see me rollin, they hatin
    i dont know how close you are to Nashua NH, but Mine Falls is good for beginners. lots of fire roads, and easier singletrack (there may be a few sections that they struggle with, but that invloves only one or two trails) its where i got back into riding
    fap

aka Gumbo
    Apr 2006
    Stow Town Forest (Gardner Hill) is close to you and has a nice mix of relatively easy trails. Nothing very technical but enjoyable. I ride there a lot since I live next to it, pm me if you want me to show you around the area. Trail map and directions are on the NEMBA site.

mtbr member
    I'd like to add to the list Ribbon Candy Trail at Plummers Landing in Northbridge. Not technical,flat, but it's fun to ride. Lots of switchbacks. My 6 & 8 year old love it.

mtbr member

Kid friendly terrain in MA

Destruction brook woods in Dartmouth is small but there diffrent loops let you put in a fun and fast 8 to 9 miles. Took my very beginner girlfriend there after many attempts at other parks. It really help her confidence and desire to ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by auntesther View Post
    I think Landlock in Bedford would be pretty kid friendly. I plan to bring my son over there as soon as its dry and snow free.
    I,m going to second the Landlocked Forest. The trails are in Burlington, but the trail head is in Lexington. It's a fun place
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I second Destruction Brook Woods in Dartmouth, also the dirt roads in Freetown State Forest depending on the age/skill level of your kids.

Just a flesh wound
    Whitney Thayer Woods in Hingham and Cohasset is kid friendly. It is next to Wompatuck, but the trails are buff and the technical level is kid friendly. You can loop up to Turkey Hill which the kids would love. You can see the ocean from up there and there is a huge field to run and ride around up top.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'd think Cutler Park is a great spot, too. Only 1 or 2 sections of anything technical, and the majority of trail is very smooth. Sure, some rolling hills, but only 1-2 notable ones. It's smaller, too, so less concern on if they get bushed and you want to head back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would agree on Cutler Park as well. Even the few technical sections are not that technical.