mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Keeping it going: We can't rest now!

Last night was a high water mark in a long, long dry season of MTB advocacy at the Fells.

Time to get back to work however.

It was clear that DCR *wants* more comments submitted. This is **very** important to DCR. They are counting them all up - they had nice bar charts summarizing them. What struck me was that the bar representing "Expand Mountain Bike Access" wasn't very much higher than it's opposite "Don't Change a Thing" bar. We must do better.

Action Item: We need everyone who hasn't sent comments to send them in. Keep them short and to the point. Here's the original DCR source page: http://www.mass.gov/dcr/news/publicm...usersurvey.htm

Some suggestions:

Simply state that you:

1. Support increased mountain biking opportunities.
    2. Support a change to the winter closure policy.
    3. Support increased NEMBA volunteerism
    4. Support after dark riding.
    5. Support separating loop trail overlaps
    6. Support providing access to the reservoir trail systems
    7. Support improved signage

You don't need to answer all the questions -- just the ones that are important to you.

There are some basic principles we hope riders will support:

1. Fair and equitable access policy
    2. Access to singletrack
    3. More marked loops
    4. Positive use to replace illegitimate use

It's even better if the comments are in your own voice and express your own concerns. We're not trying to control the message -- it's the getting a message out to DCR that is really important.

If you are looking for other ideas, here's some stuff that Greater Boston NEMBA has come up with (look at the bottom of the webpage): http://www.gbnemba.org/fells-action.html

Email your comments to: Paul.jahnige@state.ma.us

When you send them please also cc: fells@gbnemba.org

Spread the word. Tell your friends. Make a point of getting the word out about this.

This is like when you are on the last leg of an epic ride and you can feel yourself beginning to bonk. We need to find that extra energy to keep us going and get us home because we have a lot of traction right now.

Regards,
    A

Huh?
    Apr 2005

now that you voted

Send an e-mail letting the DCR know you care and support mtbing in the Fells. I was pleasantly surprised I got a response back letting me know that they are listening. The more support we show the stronger our case is.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd
    Send an e-mail letting the DCR know you care and support mtbing in the Fells. I was pleasantly surprised I got a response back letting me know that they are listening. The more support we show the stronger our case is.
    Same hear. It sounds like they are actually listening. Try and send some comments even if you don't ride the Fells.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813