mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Just moved to the Amherst area, and need a good local MTB shop

I just moved back to the Amherst area after a 12 year stint in Phoenix, AZ.
    I need a good local shop with employees that love the sport and can give some guidance to the trails in the area.

No corporate shops, I need a real shop with real people that ride real bikes, and know what a 29er is.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance,
    Rob

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Valley Bicycle, Rt 9 Hadley,,,,,,,Good People

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yeah, the valley bike and ski werks is the best mountain bike shop near amherst (best ski shop, too) especially with the departure of comp edge.

Check them out:

Home - valleybikeandskiwerks

I bought a 29er from Laughing Dog right in downtown Amherst (Banshee Paradox)--it's a lot more roadie focused, but they have good mechanics and are pretty knowledgeable (and, from Amherst, they are easy to bike to). Further up the road, on 116 North, you have Flye Cycles, a nice , low key shop and the proprietor is a solid mechanic.

All the local shops are independents (even comp edge is owned by a few locals, and they have two locations) so avoiding 'corporate' stores is fairly easy as every bike shop in the region is owned and operated by actual cyclists who love the sport.

Welcome to the area, hope you are enjoying the riding.
    Last edited by SuperbMan; 07-29-2012 at 11:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Joe's Garage in Haydenville. It's not super close to Amherst, but it's not to far and is an awesome shop. Joe is top notch.