hmmm.

Jiminy Peak do-able on a hardtail?

I was interested in heading up to Jiminy Peak with a friend to ride, but I really can't tell from any searching how intense the trails are. We've both got 4-inch hardtails, and are pretty used to getting beat up on them.. So, how difficult is it to ride there with a hardtail?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well, there is some xc-ish stuff, and the adjacent Pittsfield SF has some of the best mtb-ing anywhere. And, in theory, any bike is 'doable' if the rider has the skills and fitness required (afterall-the original competitive downhill bikes were hard tails with barely 4 iches of suspension). But the best stuff at Jiminy is steep, gnarly, and 'jumpy'-like any other ift service place, so a proper modern DH or at least free-ride rig would make it a heck of a lot more fun (and, to me, 'doable').

They rent bikes there,you know.

Have fun

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I don't see too many hard tails at Jiminy, there really arenít any XC trails but some of the trails down are definitely more rideable than others.

On weekends the big lift to the summit will be running. If you head left off the lift the trails are STEEP are hardcore, even on a 7" Full Suspension.
    The trails down to and by the top of the small lift are a little easier but still pretty technical, lots of roots, a couple of good fast single track section across the open areas. The trails are pretty well marked.

Like the other poster said they now rent DH/FR bikes if itís too hard on your bike/body. I always have a great time there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    In case you haven't already found it here's a link to their trail map:

http://jiminy.lsw.com/page.php?PageI...Name=Trail+Map

hmmm.
    Alright, so possible, but difficult. Mostly everyone I ride with 5 or 6 inch full-suspension bikes, and I hang with them just fine.. I guess we'll see how it goes!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Actually there are quite a few XC trails out there they are just not that known to "non-locals." Many are hidden intentionally and not talked about to keep ATVs off. I hooked up with a group of local riders last season and had a blast!!! (XC). I'll PM you with the name of a great guy on this board that is always willing to show somebody new around. He knows this area very well. I'm just not sure if it's proper to post it publicly. Maybe some others will chime in from this group.

B

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I have found a few nice marked trails on the mountain that aren't on the map. The entrances are pretty well conecaled, but they all connect to the regular lift accessed network of trails.

hmmm.
    Nice... I guess I'll be keeping my eyes out!