mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Insights on trails around Burlington?

Hello everyone, it's great to see such an active MTB community in the area. I'm trying to decide where the best place to stay (extended stay hotel type deal) while I'm visiting Burlington. I've found the following trails in the area:
    • Lowell Dracut Tyngsboro State Forest
    • Sawmill Brook/Mill Pond
    • Russell Mill + Great Brook Farm State Park (Scenic XC)
    • Harold Parker
    • Landlocked Forrest
    • Beaver Brook North
    • Middlesex Fells Reservation (Gird your loins)

I prefer trails that keep some good flow, but also enjoy technical features. Some good booters and jumps would be gravy. Since you guys have ridden these trails, I'd really appreciate your insights about the trails on which you think I should focus. I don't know when/if the riding season ends up there, but I hope to get a few good rides in before that happens. I've seen people riding in the snow (on really fat tires) but I'm not sure if that's common; I'd certainly give it a shot if I could rent or borrow such a bike.

I'm not sure what bike I'll end up with out there, hopefully a used AM 29er size medium, but I'll be sure to check the forums for any listings. If you know of any deals in the area, I'd appreciate hearing about them.

Thank you all!
    Seth

edit: updated list
    Last edited by Siress; 07-30-2014 at 10:00 PM.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you haven't already, check out NEMBA website. There are group rides at most of the places you listed. Best way to get to know the trails. I don't know if there is any clear favorite in the area. You left off Harold Parker, which is one of the more popular destinations. Lowell Dracut state forest is also a possibility.

On 9/14 NEMBA is having an event at Great Brook, which will possibly also include Russell Mill The two connect with a little pavement riding.

10/5 at Bear Brook Park in New Hampshire

The Wicked Ride of the East is 10/26 at Harold Parker

Contact JRA Cycles in Medford, great bike shop and they might have info on used bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I checked out the NEMBA forums, and registered, but the MA section is dead. I'm still waiting on the Greater Boston NEMBA Facebook group to accept.

Thanks for the heads up on those events!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 08-01-2014 at 06:23 AM.

mtbr member
    While you're at it join both the North Shore and Merrimack Valley NEMBA Facebook groups. The Face book groups are far more active than the NEMBA forum these days.

Merrinack Valley rides:
    Tues. at Lowell Dracut
    Friday at Russell Mill

North Shore rides:
    Monday at Willowdale Stae forest (ipswich)
    Thursday at Harold Parker

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    For flow AND tech in the area, it's hard to beat LDT (Lowell Dractut Tyngsboro state forest). There is also a killer uphill, with a couple of nice downhill-oriented trails down from the top, complete with big berms and jumps. I highly recommend the Tuesday night ride at LDT.

Russell Mill also rocks. It rides like the builders put more love per foot of trail into that park than any other trail system I've ridden in the area, and it's small enough that you won't spend much time riding around looking for each different trail.

I work across the street from landlocked, and I NEVER ride there. Maybe twice a season. I always go to RM or LDT - 2-4 times a week, between the two. They are just that much better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Wow, thank you all for giving me the run down on the area's trails and group rides. I was worried the scene wouldn't be as good as it is at home, but I dare say it's starting to look as though it may be better!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 08-01-2014 at 06:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hard to beat Lowell/Dracut and Russell Mill in this area

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    LDT is my favorites in that area. RM is like a smaller more concentrated version of it (same builders). Best to get a tour from someone that knows the lay of the land; lots of intersections, etc.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just got my first ride in at LDT. Great trail system. Good variety of terrain and great trailbuilding. RM was my previous favorite, as it's easy to get to, has great trail building, and very decent trails, but it gets old riding the same 6 miles of trail. It's still a really nice network though.

I'd put either of those over harold parker right now, and I wouldn't bother with the fens, but that's just me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Willowdale has some great pedaling, about 35 minutes from Burlington.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangur View Post
    For flow AND tech in the area, it's hard to beat LDT (Lowell Dractut Tyngsboro state forest). There is also a killer uphill, with a couple of nice downhill-oriented trails down from the top, complete with big berms and jumps. I highly recommend the Tuesday night ride at LDT.

Russell Mill also rocks. It rides like the builders put more love per foot of trail into that park than any other trail system I've ridden in the area, and it's small enough that you won't spend much time riding around looking for each different trail.

I work across the street from landlocked, and I NEVER ride there. Maybe twice a season. I always go to RM or LDT - 2-4 times a week, between the two. They are just that much better.
    You work across the street and never pedal there? Interesting. Ever go from the LLF to paint mine the MM extension and on to Great brook? Lots of epic from there. There are also some Bedford trails on the bottom of page street nearby.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Never is an exaggeration. When my riding buds at work don't feel like battling the rte 3 traffic, we head over LLF way. But more often than not I beat the traffic up to the tuesday night nemba ride at LDT...

I have been a ways down the paint mine trail, but only once. It was a lot of flat and even more boardwalks. Not exactly mountain biking... am I missing something? Does it continue across that paved road at the end?

What's the MM extension?? Are you telling me you can hook up LLF and Great Brook? Got any GPS/Strava maps of this ride? That would be awesome. I've never actually been to Great Brook, but I understand that it's a short hop from Russell Mill. To connect all three - RM, GB, and LLF - in one ride could be incredible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Dangur.....I will draw a map showing a few options...up to you to follow and figure it out unless you want me to do a 50 mile ride and show you it all, which I am all up for doing.

MM = minuteman. they are suggesting LLF, paint mine, but that is incorrect. It should be LLF, -shawsheen- then skip out and behind stopnshop, cut to the MM paved, take MM paved to bikewaysource bike shop, near behind there pickup the dirt version of MM to concord, in concord hit the road and go to red coat lane, jump into estabrook woods, and from estabrook woods you do one of two things:

exit davis corridor-to 225/4, then behind ice cream shop, llama trail, then great brook via some roads
    OR
    exit estabrook via 'bee sting trail' and go school street, into carlise town hall trails and out at the maintenance shack and back into the woods alongside someones driveways....pop out at the cranberry bogs Otter Run trail and off to great brook, then Russell Mill

standby...drawing maps now

Ok this is the cheesiest map ever, close but not 100% accurate... but the little red lines show generally where to go, and if you check out strava, and get out there, you can adventure and figure this out.

imgur link to zoom in a bit imgur: the simple image sharer

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    openstreetmap.org is your friend here. The reservoir trails connecting LLF to the cemetery as well as the trails from Concord > GB are pretty well detailed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    openstreetmap.org is your friend here. The reservoir trails connecting LLF to the cemetery as well as the trails from Concord > GB are pretty well detailed.

yeah reference my chicken-scratch cheese map, and zoom in with openstreetmap, and most of it is already marked, except the carlise town hall trails to otter run is not exactly clear. anyhow the llama trail is there, go figure !

llama trail

OpenStreetMap

carlise town hall trails are in here (behind post office) but not marked

OpenStreetMap

old morse road is an inner connector takes you to otter run on cranberry bog side

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/42.54449/-71.35870

this trail is otter run, it is actually along a brook

OpenStreetMap

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's pretty easy to add trails to OSM if you have a GPS trace (hint ). I've detailed a lot of the stuff I ride in Leominster State forest. Lots of phone apps pull from OSM (ie RidewithGPS) for the mapping tiles so you can check your route as you go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    ^that will be my next project then. when my new bike arrives and I do a few shakedown cruises, I'll pop 'the patented 60 miler' under my shorts and do this stretch on openstreetmap. don't wait up, this is just an idea now, I have 2 new bikes coming and all trails and roads I have ever ridden in my life are now targeted for re-ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Lots of variations an a theme here. I did a 62 miler from my house in Wilmington connecting 10 properties. From the dirt extension of the MM trail , I take monument st, to Punkatasket( sp) hill then 2 rod road to connant land and to the back side of kimballs ice cream( they open @ 10:30 am). Beyond the cranberry bogs there are the pencil factory in Westford and strawberry hill.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    ^that will be my next project then. when my new bike arrives and I do a few shakedown cruises, I'll pop 'the patented 60 miler' under my shorts
    Ye Olde B.A.D.A.S.S. run? I tagged along for one of those bitd. Good times.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    yes!

Bedford Area Daring All-terrain Sixty Something

basically Lex-LLF-Mup-Estabrook-GreatBrook and back somehow