I wear two thongs

Info on Lynn Woods

Hey hows it going everybody? I've got a couple questions to ask you about Lynn Woods. I have a good riding buddy who goes to school at Tufts University in Medford and he will be living there all summer doing an internship. I have the opportunity to travel out to him from Upstate NY a few times this summer and we were looking into riding at Lynn Woods.
    I was wondering if you could provide me with some information on these trails? First off I was wondering how would I go about getting there from Tufts University? Also I was wondering what is the terrain like and are there any trail access rules? For example the riding club I am affilliated with has a lease on a bunch of terrain but you have to either be a member or be riding with a member of my club to legally ride these trails, does Lynn Woods have any policies like this, or is it open to the public?
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Hey Eric,
    No access issues in Lynn other than closed to biking in the winter which is now past.
    For more info check out dieselbikes.com They do a-lot of trail work there and has trail maps on the website. I believe there are directions also.
    Good Luck.

MC MasterShake
    I used to live near Tufts and it's a pretty easy trip to Lynn Woods. The easiest is probably 93 to 128N to 129 which is about 20 minutes or so w/o traffic. The Fells is a bit closer but it's not the most biker friendly and the riding is so much better at Lynn or even Harold Parker.

The terrain at Lynn is pretty crazy. Lots of rocks and boulders. Make sure your suspension is working properly and bring big tires w/lots of spare tubes. What you have at Lynn Woods is a bunch of fireroads intersecting the park with very technical singletrack/doubletrack on the north side of the pond. There are freeride level stunts throughout this section as well. Some of the trails are incredibly worn making them very difficult to ride while others are brand new and are still difficult to ride. On the south side of the pond it's still very rocky but there is more doubletrack and fireroad and it's not nearly as technical. You can pull a map from www.dieselbikes.com that has most of the trails and their names.

My advice is to try and hook up with some locals, like Dieselbikes.com, to get to the best terrain. I'd be willing to give you a tour as well but I usually am out there at lunch time only.

There are other trails a little further away that are tremendous as well but we don't post info about those on the Internet

Cheers!

I wear two thongs
    Awesome thanks for the info. I'll be riding a steel SS with a 6" travel fork and 2.4" tires. I'll be sure to bring a few tubes even though Ive yet to flat my tires even on some pretty rocky/rough terrain *knock on wood*

Also from Medford do I want to get on 93 heading North or South?

-Eric
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

MC MasterShake
    93 North.

mtbr member

Better bring some gears....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hoefer
    Awesome thanks for the info. I'll be riding a steel SS with a 6" travel fork and 2.4" tires. I'll be sure to bring a few tubes even though Ive yet to flat my tires even on some pretty rocky/rough terrain *knock on wood*

Also from Medford do I want to get on 93 heading North or South?

-Eric
    Lynn Woods on a SS? not really what you want to do.I've been riding Lynn for 19 years,and only rode a SS once.So it can be done,but its not my first choice.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Though I agree with you Fred, i've ridden Lynn a couple of times with a guy on a SS and he was killing it. If you've got the legs go for it but I highly reccomend some gears and more importantly some suspension.
    Mark