Professional Lurker

Info about Worcester

I will be moving to Worcester in June for residency at UMass, so I'll be in the area for five years or so. Right now I'm in Birmingham, AL so it will be quite a change of scenery/climate. Any advice on trails to ride, bike shops to trust, groups to ride with, etc?

Background: I am a beginner/intermediate level rider, and I currently ride a hardtail.

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Welcome to Massachusetts! I work in Framingham and have lived in the MetroWest area in the past. I hear rave reviews for Bicycle Ally in Worcester for a good shop www.bikealley.com

For riding - a good beginner/intermediate place to go is Callahan State Park in Framingham. Some nice singletrack mixed with fireroads. Very dog friendly too if you have a mutt. If you want to try something a little tougher - Vietnam in Hopkinton is pretty sick! Check out Bikerag and click on trail reviews for more info about those places (and more).

Shoot me a PM with your email address and we can hook up for a ride sometime when you get out here. Me and some buddies ride Callahan on Thursdays after work. Don't worry - we aren't pros by any stretch of the imagination.

Professional Lurker
    Check your PM, oddestfellow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    also check out leominster state forest and rutland state park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowLab
    Check your PM, oddestfellow.
    Cool. I PM'd my email address over to you. Talk to you when you get out here!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by massbike
    also check out leominster state forest and rutland state park.
    How is Leominster? (pronounced "Lemon-ster", for our friend YellowLab who will be new to the area) I haven't heard of that place before. What type of terrain? Singletrack? Doubletrack? Fireroads? Just curious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    leominster has a fireroad (rocky pond/parmenter) that runs thru the center.trails go off both sides. there's a variety of trails ranging from doubletrack to rocky, rooty single track. you can easily ride for 3 or more hrs in there. best parking is the rocky pond lot off of rt 31. maps are available at the ranger station on 31, but i don't think they show everything. i think bike alley does a weekly ride there as it's about 20-25 minutes from worcester.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Cool! Thanks for the info! Leominster is a nice halfway point between me and some of my riding buddies.

mtbr member
    You can try out Wells State Park in Sturbridge. Its about 20 minutes away depending on where you ll be living in Worcester. Its mostly marked as hiking trails but no one has ever given me a problem for riding them. At one time they used to have a cross country race through the place.

I also live in Worcester... Rutland is pretty close and has some good trails. I ve heard there are good trails near the Worcester airport. I ve only ridden my snowmobile on them so not sure how it is on a bike though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeland2
    . I ve heard there are good trails near the Worcester airport. I ve only ridden my snowmobile on them so not sure how it is on a bike though.
    On the other side of 122 from the airport, there are some great trails. Lots of singletrack, XC and DH. The guys from Bicycle Alley do a lot of rides there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    do mean over by the radio towers? if so, i agree. that IS very good riding over there

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steveit
    do mean over by the radio towers? if so, i agree. that IS very good riding over there
    Yup. Asbenumskit I believe its called. Really good DH runs if you start up by the towers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    yea, thats it.. i used to park on camp street at the old AMC (app. mountain club) parking area. that small lot is gone now as someone bought the land and put a house on it, though the small amc sign is still there. i always thought it was kind of a weird, secluded little area, with well marked trails, and terrific singletrack. i would ride up to the towers and of course, work my way back down. i dont think amc has much to do with the place anymore. never met another rider there and maybe 2-3 hikers at most. where does the bike alley gang start from? boynton park?

blet drive
    yup boyton park thursdays at 6 i think.. go bike alley

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm "almost" in Worcester - live in Auburn on the Oxford line. Hodges Village Dam would be another great place to skill build. I ride my freeride bike there in hopes of building fitness (have a Specialized Epic but it just doesn't see much dirt time) so while I can ride over most stuff, I'm pretty freaking slow. But I'll drop you more info...

So check your PMs Yellow Lab!

Professional Lurker
    I finally rolled into Worcester a couple of days ago. What's with the weather???

Thanks for all the recommendations. Once I get settled I'll start exploring a bit. Looks like there's lots of good riding in the area...I'm looking forward to seeing it all.

Thanks,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowLab
    I finally rolled into Worcester a couple of days ago. What's with the weather???

Thanks for all the recommendations. Once I get settled I'll start exploring a bit. Looks like there's lots of good riding in the area...I'm looking forward to seeing it all.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Ha dont like the weather? ... No worries i think you said you ve got about 5 years to get used to it lol...

If you re looking for people to ride with let me know.

Witty Title.
    Ha dont like the weather?
    ha, in New England, give it five minutes.

Hopefully someone has told our friend how to say WHUS-ster by now, right?

Welcome to the area, amigo.
    --

~bc

member, nemba.org

Newb
    Welcome Yellow

I'm on the border of Mass/CT and if anyone would like to teach a new dog some new tricks on the trail or just wants to show me a few trails, by all means PLEASE PM me. I've been out to Douglas State Forest but I'm looking for a little longer trail to go solo since I haven't found anyone at my skill level or a rider with the patience to work with me. I work in Shrewsbury so with advance notice I can have my gear packed and ready

Mynx
    "Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do, some don't ever want to."

"Only the insane equate pain with success."

"I hate it when people talk in a different language - it makes it very difficult to eavesdrop!" - Christina

mtbr member
    Im a loser with no license. I ll ride with anyone willing to cart me around. If you re to slow my bike has brakes. If you re to fast well hopefully I know a short cut back to your car before I get stranded. Ha so anyone interested in driving me... let me know asap. I have several bike racks atleast one should fit most vehicles if needed.

Know any good trails?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail_Mynx
    Welcome Yellow

I'm on the border of Mass/CT and if anyone would like to teach a new dog some new tricks on the trail or just wants to show me a few trails, by all means PLEASE PM me. I've been out to Douglas State Forest but I'm looking for a little longer trail to go solo since I haven't found anyone at my skill level or a rider with the patience to work with me. I work in Shrewsbury so with advance notice I can have my gear packed and ready

Mynx

Hey Mynx - where abouts are you? 395 area or 84 or somewhere else? There are all kinds of things right around both. Great at all levels.

PM me - I'll be out that way this weekend...
    Me: "You're welcome to sleep over here in the A/C."
    Her: "I appreciate the offer, but I will just sleep in the tent."