Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007

I shed a tear for all of you guys...

.... I grew up on the South Shore, and moved to San Diego about three years ago. Get out of there! The ridings sick out here, and you can go out every weekend. Not to mention the road trip posibilities... 5 hours to Bootleg Canyon by Vegas (holy sh!t that place is sweet), Mammoth is 4 hours, you get the point.

Not trying to be a dick, just passing the word to any one who's been on the fence

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Ive ridden around San Diego for a week. Did Noble Canyon, which was very cool and a few other OK rides. Bootleg is great dessert riding but for a 4hr drive, are you kidding me ??? Mammoth very fun place to ride but again it's a 4hr drive. Overall, I would say you can keep your brown, same conditions ALL year long, dessert type, San Diego riding. That dry dusty sh** gets very very old after a few weeks. Glad your having fun though.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Point taken. I've actually never ridden in New England, how does it compare to Noble Canyon/Bootleg Cayon type riding?

person
    heh why don't you mention the temps out there while your at it:-p
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brendancahill
    Point taken. I've actually never ridden in New England, how does it compare to Noble Canyon/Bootleg Cayon type riding?

It's hard to compare the two. Here is mostly roots, rocks, tight singletrack in the woods, very moist .....there is some rocks, wider doubletrack in wide open space, and usually very very dry.
    Although like I said both Noble/Bootleg are probably the best your going to get for that kind of riding.

Yeah you have beautiful weather right now but when its 105 in June let's talk.

mtbr member
    .... I grew up on the South Shore, and moved to San Diego about three years ago. Get out of there! The ridings sick out here, and you can go out every weekend. Not to mention the road trip posibilities... 5 hours to Bootleg Canyon by Vegas (holy sh!t that place is sweet), Mammoth is 4 hours, you get the point.

Having ridden there and here, I'll pass, thanks. Different strokes for different folks, I s'pose.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gobriango
    Yeah you have beautiful weather right now but when its 105 in June let's talk.
    San Diego stays around 60-80 year round, no humidity.

MC MasterShake
    Don't cry for me. I ride year round here myself. Sometimes the snow is too deep, or the trails are too icy, or too fragile to ride but most of the year I'm out there 3 to 4 days a week. I think an advantage we have is that we don't have to go that far for amazing trails. There is at least 15 different 3-4 hour rides that I can do driving less than 30 minutes. You can't count how many major trail systems I could hit with a 4 to 5 hour drive. You'd have to pry me out of here with a spatula

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Comparing regions is tough. Its like the first time you went to a friends house for dinner and the spaghetti wasn't like your Mom's. I moved from the Bay Area this past summer to the North Shore. All I can say is the riding is different. I miss different rides in the Bay Area but are the better? Hmmmm. All I can say is I've had fun here as well. Is it better? Hmmmmm. Some people rave about Moab, to me you can have it. I actually prefer PC to Moab. I did a few rides in SD in Nov of '05, it doesn't stay between 60 and 80 all year. I enjoyed a few rides east of SD but froze my butt off in Escondito. So if you like your Mom's spaghetti then keep eating it, just don't rave to others that its the best in the world. Someone else thinks their Mom's spaghetti is equally good.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    OK! I actually didn't know there was were so many riding opp's in MA, but, I was mainly commenting on the weather, and the possibility of riding year round in a t-shirt.

Back in Boston, it seemed like there was always a contingent group of people *****ing about the weather, and musing on and on about moving to a warmer climate... apparently, none of them are on this board! I didn't imply SD riding was better. I'm just one those pu$$ys who woudn't ride if it was below 60 degrees, and wanted to pass on the enjoyment I've been having every weekend to anyone who was thinking of making a move.

Woodyak- Again, not slighting MA, but there a tons of trails systems within 30 minutes of me too (technical singletrack, freeriding, DH, etc,). Not saying its better or worse, but its there.

Gobriango- There are actually numerous different climates/ecosystems in the area, including forests, deserts, etc. The weather in the San Diego City (from the coast to 15 miles inland) stays pretty constant, but your rignt, the East County desert gets pretty hot, and relativly cold in the winter.

Didn't mean to drop an FU on anyone. As I said, it was a weather centric message I was making (and, I just came back from a camping trip to the aforementioned Bootleg Canyon, and was feeling especially pumped), and there are plenty of things that suck in San Diego compared to Boston (plenty!). In hind site, my orignal tone could easily be contrused as "@$$hole".

Next time I come home to visit, maybe you guys can show me whats what.
    Last edited by Evil Chocula; 03-08-2007 at 11:13 AM.

MC MasterShake
    No offense taken. I wouldn't mind some warmth during these final days of winter. The highs have been in the low 20's this week. Still hasn't deterred me from the trails. Should be upper 40's this weekend now that will feel balmy

I like to ride my bike.
    I'll be in San Diego from April 13-20 (???).......any posssible rides? I'll be visiting my 30 year old brother who lives in the city. I won't have a bike, and I'll want to ride BAD. Are there any shops I could rent a bike from?

And, the Sea Otter Classic is no where near SD right?
    Thanks
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    I'll be in San Diego from April 13-20 (???).......any posssible rides? I'll be visiting my 30 year old brother who lives in the city. I won't have a bike, and I'll want to ride BAD. Are there any shops I could rent a bike from?

And, the Sea Otter Classic is no where near SD right?
    Thanks
    I think the Sea Otter's in Norcal... so no. You should hit up Noble Canyon while your here, it's an IMBA "epic trail", and you can shuttle it too, for pure downhill goodness. I live in the city too, if your down on to hit it on Saturday or Sunday let me know (13th/14th). I take it you want to rent something in 5/5 to 6/6 category?

This place is downtown, and they rent '07 Stumpjumpers for $50 a day: http://www.bike-tours.com/rentals.html
    I think there pickings are slim, so may rent to reserve it a little far in advance.
    Last edited by Evil Chocula; 03-08-2007 at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The C-Otter is in Monterey, pretty darn far drive. According to Mapquest, 442 miles. Driving that distance is faster in CA than out east unless you pick a poor time to drive through LA. I lived in CA for 10 years and still can't understand why the middle of the state is considered NorCal, I think Monterey is actually considered the Central Coast. BTW the C-Otter is very over rate, I've raced it numerous times and its just way to crowded. It is pretty cool to see the vendor area if you've never been, its kind of like interbike - all the new stuff is on display plus you can talk with all the bike geeks. A good way to get recognized for sponsorships.

Brendan - I totally hear you about riding in short sleeves and shorts all year long. I 've ridden here at around 10F, and had more layers on than I can remember. One thing I couldn't stand about NorCal (San Jose) was January thru March, all that damn rain. My body can't stand temps in the 40's and 50's when its raining. Oh I should shutup as spring is on its way and that probably what I am going to get on the North Shore. I actually wouldn't have moved to Boston but my wife wanted to be on the east coast. She questions herself when the temps hit single digits. Sorry if I was harsh, I was just trying to say riding is good in a lot of different places. I actually prefer trees to open areas but had a great time about 45 minutes east of San Diego. Great canyon ride, very technical, fairly good tree cover but I had a couple flats. I look forward to this summer when I can get up into NH and VT to do some rides with elevation gain and descent. Enjoy sunny SD but if truth be told I prefer NorCal to SoCal.

Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    don't know what type of riding you do but you've never ridden here and you're telling us to get out of here? huh? there's so many places to ride in New England/NY. you can't limit it to Mass because 6 other states are within 2-3 hours, depending on where in Mass you live. I never found anything great out in Monterey. but I'm from Mass.
    winter weather? so what. the season changes are great. after racing road/mtb/cross from april to dec I don't mind a change. skiing,hockey,skating and riding from jan-feb. However, these last few brutally cold days are pissing me off, though.

it's too bad you never actually rode here. glad you got out of here before you discovered anything.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dang
    don't know what type of riding you do but you've never ridden here and you're telling us to get out of here? huh? there's so many places to ride in New England/NY. you can't limit it to Mass because 6 other states are within 2-3 hours, depending on where in Mass you live. I never found anything great out in Monterey. but I'm from Mass.
    winter weather? so what. the season changes are great. after racing road/mtb/cross from april to dec I don't mind a change. skiing,hockey,skating and riding from jan-feb. However, these last few brutally cold days are pissing me off, though.

it's too bad you never actually rode here. glad you got out of here before you discovered anything.
    Yeah! You really proved me wrong.

Anyways, I've already posted my redaction/retraction. But, I'm 28 years old, and I lived in MA for 24 of the 28 years. Thanks for the lesson on seasons and winter sports, but I've been there. I was forced to leave when my USMC unit was deployed in 2002, and I just went with it after that. I too am glad that I never discovered how to ride in sub zero temps* . Anyways, sorry you can't accept the above "retraction".

*However, I might come out there this summer with all my San Diego buddies, and "discover" Lenox Trails for a few weeks....

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    The major problem with Cali, in particular SD and LA, is the demographic situation. I wouldn't plan on staying in that area much longer unless you want to live in a necropolis, go to mexico city or Rio de Janiero if you want to see what san diego and LA are going to be like in 25 years or so. One nice thing about the northeast is we enjoy a zero population growth so the open spaces should be in good shape for quite some time. I've heard from many people san diego was a paradise in the 60s but has been overrun with incredible sprawl that will keep metastisizing well into the forseeable future.

aka Gumbo
    Apr 2006
    It is all good! I have never been in a place where I have not biked, skied, hiked, kayaked, played Ultimate. I live in MA and am lovin it - out my backyard into the woods! I have lived in Utah, Arizona, California, Minnesota, Ohio, Panama, and several New England states for different lengths of time and liked 'em all. I hear ya on the great things out on the left coast - enjoy it while you are there and thanks for checking in on us - it is about 4 degrees out right now

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jplain
    The major problem with Cali, in particular SD and LA, is the demographic situation. I wouldn't plan on staying in that area much longer unless you want to live in a necropolis, go to mexico city or Rio de Janiero if you want to see what san diego and LA are going to be like in 25 years or so. One nice thing about the northeast is we enjoy a zero population growth so the open spaces should be in good shape for quite some time. I've heard from many people san diego was a paradise in the 60s but has been overrun with incredible sprawl that will keep metastisizing well into the forseeable future.
    That is so very true. This is the land of strip malls, track homes and chain restuarants. Which is all the more reason to come out and f' around now! I think I'll end up heading north to San Fran or Seattle in the next couple of years, and eventually get back east to DC/NYC/NJ, as my girlfriend slowly takes over of my decision making capalities. I've only been riding for around 2.5 years, and it's all been out here. Having never met anyone that was into MTB'ing, I just assumed there wasn't much going on back there. I'm pumped to find out I was mistaken! I've been checking out the freeride opps like Vietnam, Lake Placid, etc.... sometimes it's nice to be wrong.

*Although, some of the best riding out here is in the desert, which I doubt will ever be developed.
    Last edited by Evil Chocula; 03-09-2007 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    If you come back out here to do some riding be sure to spend a weekend at Kingdom Trails in Vermont! http://www.kingdomtrails.org/

mtbr member
    As I said, it was a weather centric message I was making ...
    Wow Brendancahill, looks like you caused quite a little ruckus here in the MA forum. I just wanted to tell you that when I first read your post I totally understood what you were implying. The day you made your post, I woke up to an outside temp of 6 degrees, wind gusts up to 30 mph that were bringing wind chills well into the - teens. You're correct. It sucked!! As I started my day preparing for these conditions I couldn't help but to think of just saying "phuck this!!" and hop on a plane and head back out to family in Temecula.

Look me up if you should ever come back to the south shore for some riding. I have a decent sized group of riding buddies who all just love to go out and have a blast. The more the merrier!!

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    I'm coming back this weekend, and I was going to fly my bike out.... but it's TOO F'ING COLD to check out these sweet, 0 elevation-gain trails you've all been ranting about. Back to my original point.....

I like to ride my bike.
    I'm coming back this weekend, and I was going to fly my bike out.... but it's TOO F'ING COLD to check out these sweet, 0 elevation-gain trails you've all been ranting about. Back to my original point.....
    Looks like we'll be swaping spots as this weekend, I'll be in San Diego, but no bikey w/me.

Not bringing your bike may be a good idea as we are suppose to have rainy / snowy weather.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RideFaster
    Looks like we'll be swaping spots as this weekend, I'll be in San Diego, but no bikey w/me.

Not bringing your bike may be a good idea as we are suppose to have rainy / snowy weather.
    Funny! Pacific Beach?

I like to ride my bike.
    Funny! Pacific Beach?
    I'm not sure, but we'll (my parents and I) be staying somewhere around the intersection of 3A and Route 8 / 4A? Mission Valley? Hotel circle? Ring a bell?

Anyway, enjoy you're stay, I hope I will.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast