View Poll Results: What amount of travel are people using?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

9 25.71%
  • Softtail- 4"

8 22.86%
  • 5-6"

12 34.29%
  • 6+"

6 17.14%
    norwoodrider4
    Aug 2007

I got a quick poll for MA rompers

just thinking about my next bike, and wat the trends for our area are.
    Go fast, or go down

mtbr member
    I have 140mm now. My next bike will be 160mm.

mtbr member
    May 2006

My preferred bikes are the hard-tails

But we do have some nice 4 and 5" duallies in the family fleet.

Pretty much anywhere in New England if I'm going out for less than 3 hours, the hard-tail with 100mm on the front gets the call.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

achiever
    I have a 5.5 FS bike but I rarely ride it anymore. Been on a rigid singlespeed most of the season. I don't do drops or stuff like that but I do ride rocky, tech trails. I've found that I can ride faster and smoother on the rigid SS most of the time. Rocky downhills are tricky but there is so little sustained descent around here, I don't really notice it. Climbing and turning are the strong points of the setup. The bike corners on a rail and climb very well as long as I can spin the cranks. It's also super efficient compared to the FS and due to the SS, I can't be lazy and spin the granny (which is actually way more work anyway). And I would never have heard the mid-teens rider say to his buddy: "Sweet, that old dude is rockin a rigid Redline!" This actually took place riding around McClean Res. in Holyoke with my son and these guys were on 5"+ rigs for the gravel path around the res? I sure hope they were heading out to bear hole...

mtbr member
    Hardtail 29er's w/ 80mm up front is the way to go in my opinion

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

My wife and I are on Hardtail 29ers

Coming off 5.5 inches of travel. Probably never go back. Light, fast ,fun.

mtbr member
    Guess the trend would be determined more by where you plan to ride it than by what every one else is riding.

I was on the 5.5 travel and sold it for a 6.75 in. as my main bike. I have a hardtail as a back up but prefer the squish and the riding spots that have the need for the squish.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeland2
    Guess the trend would be determined more by where you plan to ride it than by what every one else is riding.

I was on the 5.5 travel and sold it for a 6.75 in. as my main bike. I have a hardtail as a back up but prefer the squish and the riding spots that have the need for the squish.
    Yup, couldn't agree more - depends on where you ride.

When I'm at Hodges Village I could probably run my fork locked out most of the time and be fine. But, I just came back from Wells State Park and that place makes me wish I had a nice lightweight 5"+ FS setup. So, it seems like a lightweight 26 or 29er hardtail would probably serve most people well.

Mine is a 26er hardtail, with 100mm up front and soon to have 120mm.

E30 Rollin'
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13
    Hardtail 29er's w/ 80mm up front is the way to go in my opinion
    He knows his stuff^^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norwoodrider4
    just thinking about my next bike, and wat the trends for our area are.
    I agree that it depends on "where" you ride, but also depends on "how agressively" you ride. I have gone from hartail to 100mm FS to 120mm FS to 150mm FS and now ride a 2010 Specialized Enduro with 160mm of travel. I found that the more suspension you have, the faster you can rip through the rocks and roots in the NE. I don't see myself going more than 160mm since I don't do a lot of big drop stuff, but I also don't see going to less suspension either. I think most "all mountain" set ups are the best compromise between weight and performance for the technical trails I ride.

Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Going to a 5.5 Pivot Mach 5 from now-broken 12 year old 4" Heckler for all-mountain technical riding

mtbr member
    It seems that wherever I ride, there invariably 3"+ roots sticking up in the trail, rock gardens, etc. Went from a hardtail 26" to a 5.5 travel rig (Intense 5.5 EVP) and my taint has thanked me ever since

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=jrob1775] I found that the more suspension you have, the faster you can rip through the rocks and roots in the NE.

I take it you have never ridden a nice rigid steel SS 29er? Or a 29er hardtail with 16.9 chainstays............CF.

usually cranky
    4 inches feels good to me.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=CRAZY FRED]
    Quote Originally Posted by jrob1775
    I found that the more suspension you have, the faster you can rip through the rocks and roots in the NE.

I take it you have never ridden a nice rigid steel SS 29er? Or a 29er hardtail with 16.9 chainstays............CF.

I'm not sure what prompted that statement. I actually owned a fully rigid steel ss 29er with a carbon fork in the past. It rode nice but I am WAAAAAY faster on my 6" travel Enduro.
    Specialized BG FIT Master Technician

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    4 inches feels good to me.

I knew I had met the woman of my dreams when she said that to me in the morning.

I'm trending toward what I can work on AND ride. 4" travel forks and shocks just seam easier to rebuild and work on simply because they are slightly cheaper to replace should I screw something up during surgery. There are many used 4" travel forks and frames for sale as opposed to longer travel ones.

I also think that having more than one bike is cool...more than one bike...I REALLY knew she was for me when she said she didn't have a problem with THAT.

mtbr member
    29er FS with 120 mm F&R

mtbr member

I finally did it right....

I used to ride a steel hardtail for years. It was great at Kingdom trails and smoother trails in MA, but I am 10 minutes from Harold Parker and went there several times a week. I held out for so long, but decided to switch from my steel ibis mojo to a dually ibis mojo a few years ago and was so glad I did. I always thought my light 21 lb'er would be better for climbing and faster on smooth singletrack but I was wrong.

For me, I had to take a good look at where I ride most of the time and take an honest look of my skills and determine at what level I wanted to be at in the future. I wanted to do more technical riding and less XC racing. I was looking at titus racer X but after much debate got the new mojo. A year later I re-evaluated and decided to beef it up and I went from being a weight weenie to loving a 29lb dually after adding beefier wheels, tires and a Fox 36. I swore I would never sell my hardtail, but after 2 years without a ride on it I decided to sell it and get a freeride rig for Highland. Now some people can do dropsd techi trails very well on hardtails or 29'ers but personally I need all the help I can get.

Some people are going to ask themselves the same questions I did and come out with a 29 er hardtail (my brother did for Colorado) but I couldn't be happier with my choices. Biking is more fun now for me than ever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecibis
    Now some people can do drops d o techi trails very well on hardtails or 29'ers but personally I need all the help I can get.

Biking is more fun now for me than ever.
    Now this is a comment that gets my full respect (not to say this is what he's looking for) but if more people could see and say this, it would make all these "What bike and Why" threads a thing of the past, or at least make them alot easier to answer....Having said that at the end of the day when it's all said and done the LAST part of ecibis reply is TRUELY what we all should be looking for...As for me, out of all my bikes right now my Banshee Paradox 29er hardtail with a 120 Reba is getting it done and leaving me with bigger smiles than ANY other bike has done to me in the last 22 yrs..........CF.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    140mm (5.5 inches) of travel for me front and rear on my Intense 5.5.

You can laugh at most of the rocks and roots you come across and the cushiness saves your ass when you're not on your A-game.