memento mori
    Feb 2004

Hypothetical question

This is mostly aimed at those living in Boston/within 128. If you could take the commuter rail west to Fitchburg,then ride a couple miles of trail to Leominster state forrest would you? If Leominster had instead of 30~miles of trails 40-50 miles worth of well marked trails for varying ability?
    If LSF was built up to be a mountain biking destination with good T access would it be used as such.

mtbr member
    I'd still just drive there.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Driving works,too .

mtbr member
    Heck, if there were mostly dirt to ride from here to get out there, I'd just ride there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have 15 miles of trails a the end of my street. I can pedal to Harold Parker SF and the LL forest, so maybe If I knew the trails better. But I would still drive. So, Destination? Pump track, DH ?

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    There is talk of building LSF into a mountain biking destination. By and large xc trails. LSF is pretty rocky with some pretty good elevation changes,so the trails reflect that. No lifts so no true DH but long "enduro" style of descents.
    There is currently swimming,hiking and rock climbing as well as mtbing there,the biking end of things would see major improvements/expansion. Jump lines,pump tracks,expert level trails and such are definite possibilities.
    It's still in the very early stages. Wachusett NEMBA has a page on Facebook where updates on LSF and other local trail systems can be found.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J View Post
    ...If LSF was built up to be a mountain biking destination with good T access would it be used as such.
    Yep.

MC MasterShake
    if you build it they will come. Any MTB specific trails that are built will get ridden. As far as becoming an "MTB Destination" you'd really have to do something special to make it work. 40 to 50 miles is a good bit of trail but if it's mostly meh XC stuff with some decent stuff thrown in then you'll mostly attract locals. Most MTBr's (including myself) will go out of their way to try a new trail system and support it but if it's not that great then there isn't much incentive to go back, especially when you have hotspots like Vietnam, LynnWoods, HP, Bruce&Tom's, Willowdale, etc. that are just as close if not closer.

T Access is nice but there are places with T access already so that's not a huge attraction. The attraction would be the quality of your trail system.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Hypothetical question

Not necessarily the target audience, but my car is locker room, bike shop, canteen, and pub as well as transport for mtb rides.

How could a train do that?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by hado_pv; 03-21-2013 at 03:51 AM.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    One could take the train out,ride,hit the Wachusett Inn for some eats and beers then train home without drinking and driving. I'm not saying one has to take the train,it'll be a convenient option.
    Woodyak,I totally agree that in order for people to go back for more it'll have to be something special. No rush jobs or mileage for the sake of mileage. Wachusett NEMBA has cut some new trails there in the past couple years. If the new trails are any indication of whats to come LSF will deliver.
    Last edited by DAVID J; 03-21-2013 at 03:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm local to LSF and ride it from my front door. I think there are enough people in central MA to keep the place busy if it is expanded. You don't have to compete with Vietnam et al other than convincing people half way between to go west vs east. I don't think there is any worry of it developing a reputation as a buff XC destination. WAY too many rocks. You'd need a full size backhoe to make that happen.

I certainly agree W-Nemba has done a great job with the recent trails. I think they're lacking a little in terms of online presence and information broadcast however. I don't have Facebook, but I'll try checking out their page. For the past two years I've actively searched for group ride or work day info. I rode the trails and saw that they were obviously doing work, but I couldn't find the info. I think weekly posts here and on nemba.com/forums could go a long way (look at the weekly updates regarding Russell Mill for an example).

My only issue with LSF is that it appears to be a protected resource......for woods fly breeding!!!! Oh, and mosquitoes too. I usually avoid the place until late summer for that reason. Have the Land Managers changed their tune with regards to expansion here? I know NEMBA tried years ago and basically gave up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'd still just drive. Unless its an express train, the commuter rail to Leominster can take 90-100 minutes. I can drive there from my place in Boston in a lot less time.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    100 minutes is a long ride,I can see why you'd drive it.
    I don't know what changed but LSF has been agreeable as of late. The guys who've kept Wachusett NEMBA alive have a pretty good working relationship with the powers-that-be. The stars are aligning for trail expansion I guess.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    As for the 'destination' thing...the landfill adjoining the forest is due to close in 12 years. Picture it reborn as a bike park - pump tracks, slopestyle, mini-DH, BMX, dirt jumps, easy access to LSF and all the other adjoining local trails...it really could be something worth travelling to. Been something I've been thinking about for years when I get a few beers under my belt.