Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Is hunting legal in Burlington LLF?

Soiled my chamois this morning. 6am and therefore under the lights. I came up to what looked like a bush at the gasline trail/swamp DH trail intersection. In my early morning daze I thought it was deadfall until I was 10 ft from it and then it opened its eyes. I then saw his bow in the ground in the middle of the trail and almost ran it over. Scared the crap out of me. I saw a black Chevy dually parked at the end of gasline on Rt-3 south, which I assume was his.

I’ve got nothing against hunting or hunters and there is certainly an abundance of deer in LLF. However, he was most definitely within 500ft of the houses. I also focus my fall riding here since I assumed it was hunter free, unlike my other locales which are prime hunting spots. If he’s legit, I’ll just avoid the place. If not, any ideas on how I go about reporting him? Fish and game? Burlington police?

mtbr member
    if it's not legal, call the Environmental Police.

CP

mtbr member
    SHould be legal during season. Im not sure of the distance from houses with the bow(its 500 feet with a gun) but he could have been on his way in to his stand. Archery season starts today . Its that time of year that we need to start riding on sundays if possible.
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper fsr comp
    1998 Specialized Stumpjumper S2(Metal Matrix)

guru meditation
    Yeahhh time to dig out the blaze orange Deer season is today until New Years Eve, no hunting on Sundays in MA. Keep yer eyes peeled out there.

Archery
    Oct. 15 – Nov. 24

Shotgun
    Nov. 26 – Dec. 8

Primitive Firearms
    Dec.10 – Dec. 31

MassWildlife - Hunting Information
    Last edited by goingblankagain; 10-15-2012 at 07:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Pretty sure this guy wasn't heading to a tree stand. Like I said, full leaf camo. It's like in the movies where you see a bush and all of sudden the bush stands up and looks like a leaf covered sasquatch. I've done some reading and Burlington doesn't allow hunting on any of its public conservation lands.

As for distance from houses, the MA wildlife lists it as 500ft for bow/gun and 150ft from highways. He was definitely within 400 ft of the houses.

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It looks like the land locked forest does not come under the jurisdiction of the Burlington Conservation Commission. If you look at BCC website, it is listed under "Other Areas for Passive Recreation" and doesn't appear on the CC map as an area under the BCC jurisdiction. I performed a google and even the local hunters seemed to be confused on if they can hunt or not.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Absolutely NOT legal! There are "No Hunting" signs posted at the trail head. This terrifies me as I ride there alone often. Great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rdb View Post
    It looks like the land locked forest does not come under the jurisdiction of the Burlington Conservation Commission. If you look at BCC website, it is listed under "Other Areas for Passive Recreation" and doesn't appear on the CC map as an area under the BCC jurisdiction. I performed a google and even the local hunters seemed to be confused on if they can hunt or not.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.
    Good catch. Thanks for finding that.

Quote Originally Posted by smac75 View Post
    Absolutely NOT legal! There are "No Hunting" signs posted at the trail head. This terrifies me as I ride there alone often. Great.
    Which trail head, power lines? Could you describe the signs? Are they on official letterhead citing some specific ordinance or just generic "no hunting" signs? If the latter, they don't carry much weight since anyone could have placed them there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by goingblankagain View Post
    Yeahhh time to dig out the blaze orange Deer season is today until New Years Eve, no hunting on Sundays in MA. Keep yer eyes peeled out there.
    There's no doubt he saw me. I was pointing 1500 lumens at his forehead. Trouble is I thought he was a piece of deadfall. I was thinking of moving him away from the trail until he opened his eyes and I saw the reflection. I feel pretty bad about that actually. I must have blinded the crap out of him.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The trail head right at the bottom of the power lines at turning mill rd. But you're right, it's just a generic No Hunting sign that I "assumed" meant legit.

Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Good catch. Thanks for finding that.

Which trail head, power lines? Could you describe the signs? Are they on official letterhead citing some specific ordinance or just generic "no hunting" signs? If the latter, they don't carry much weight since anyone could have placed them there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

How about other parks?

What about other places to ride and hunting?

1) Harold Parker allows hunting but according to the park side - no hunters west of Jenkins road which is pretty big area

2) How about Willowdale?

3_ Lynn woods?

Has anyone have unpleasant encouters with hunters? Do oyu guys wear bright vests or don't ride at all?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyam3 View Post

1) Harold Parker allows hunting but according to the park side - no hunters west of Jenkins road which is pretty big area

2) How about Willowdale?

3_ Lynn woods?

Has anyone have unpleasant encouters with hunters? Do oyu guys wear bright vests or don't ride at all?
    I can't speak to those as I'm more of a central MA rider. My local place to ride is Leominster State Forest which is a very popular hunting spot for all types of critters. I just avoid the area during the hunting season except for Sunday when hunting isn't allowed. I generally ride in the early AM which means I'm riding with lights and I don't worry about visibility.

Personally, I feel I'm being inconsiderate if I ride there at 6am with lights blazing. I can cover almost half the forest in an hour and spook every deer/quail/pheasant in the area. I'm pretty much the only rider at that time, but I'm intruding on numerous hunters at prime hunting time during a short season. If I was riding in the mid-afternoon, I'd feel comfortable riding though I'd certainly sport blaze orange.

My issue with LLF is that I assumed hunting wasn't legal there combined with the fact that I didn't recognize him as being a person until I was literally on top of him. If hunting is legit here, I'd likewise ride elsewhere at 6am and feel no hesitation to ride during the day.

I will say that I'd be shocked to find LLF is a legit hunting spot. There is at best a 1000' swath of land that maintains the required boundary. LLF also sees a LOT of traffic and just doesn't feel like a good place to allow hunting given the number of cyclists/runners/dog walkers that I see in there on any given day.

As for unpleasant encounters, I've never had one. Even when I was on top of this guy blinding him he didn't even say something, which I'd think he had every right to. They're people that enjoy being out in the woods just like me. Just like mtbr's, the vast majority of them are considerate, safe people. Also, just like mtbr's, there are a few nutjobs that deserve a kick in the teeth. People have close calls with morons bombing a downhill without yielding and I'm sure people are surprised to see a gun/bow discharged in close proximity to them. But, they're the exception. The number of non-hunter hunting accidents each year is extremely low. Given that I've picked up at least three deer ticks/week in LLF this spring, I'd say having them hunt there would actually reduce my overall chance of injury/sickness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I left a msg for BPD firearms dept yesterday to see if they know the deal. This will definitely impact my rides there. I JUST got brave enough to venture all the way into the woods by myself (instead of sticking to small loops near the powerlines). If I came upon what you did i'm pretty sure I'd have had a heart attack!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyam3 View Post

2) How about Willowdale?

3_ Lynn woods?

Willowdale does allow hunting.
    No hunting allowed in Lynn Woods.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I heard back from BPD and they confirmed no hunting anywhere in Burlington and def not at LLF due to close proximity of roads/houses. He said not to hesitate to call if any hunters encountered on the trails there. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade and I wish for as many as possible to enjoy this little gem of land but I prefer to feel safe first and foremost. Regardless, hunter orange is next on my list of purchases.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I put a bear bell on my bike during hunting season - keeps the bears and hunters away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smac75 View Post
    I heard back from BPD and they confirmed no hunting anywhere in Burlington and def not at LLF due to close proximity of roads/houses. He said not to hesitate to call if any hunters encountered on the trails there. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade and I wish for as many as possible to enjoy this little gem of land but I prefer to feel safe first and foremost. Regardless, hunter orange is next on my list of purchases.
    Thanks checking into that smac. I agree the area is too congested for safe hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    I put a bear bell on my bike during hunting season - keeps the bears and hunters away.
    I use a red nose cover (for visibility) and sleigh bells (so they hear me coming). Nobody is going to shoot Bambi.

Clown
    Nov 2009
    willowdale allows hunting but only on the west side near horn pond. greenwood in beverly allows hunting. heading to ***** this week to get me some orange. i've had a couple close encounters in greenwood

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Given that I've picked up at least three deer ticks/week in LLF this spring, I'd say having them hunt there would actually reduce my overall chance of injury/sickness.
    An aside, but mice play a much more important role in the spread of Lyme disease than deer. Here's a Lyme expert on the topic:

“There’s all this entrenched dogma about the quintessential role of deer in the disease, but we find in our research sites that fluctuating deer abundance has no explanatory power,” he said. “A good number of studies show actual cases of Lyme disease don’t correlate with deer numbers.”

Source: Bracing for a Hungry Tick Season - NYTimes.com

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by am_dial View Post
    An aside, but mice play a much more important role in the spread of Lyme disease than deer. Here's a Lyme expert on the topic:

“There’s all this entrenched dogma about the quintessential role of deer in the disease, but we find in our research sites that fluctuating deer abundance has no explanatory power,” he said. “A good number of studies show actual cases of Lyme disease don’t correlate with deer numbers.”
    I came down with Lyme disease this summer. Probably caught it while biking through some brush. It took three trips to the doctor before I finally convinced him to run some blood work. The only reason I went the third time is my wife kept at me. I was actually starting to feel better, so almost didn't go. I never developed the rash and never noticed the bite. If you ever come down with flu like symptoms in the summer, make sure your doctor tests you for Lyme disease. You would think it would be an automatic test in this area, but I guess it isn't. If they miss it, serious complications can develop later on.

mtbr member
    Not cool that anyone is hunting in a no hunting area, but bow season is not that dangerous. I have no qualms about riding in hunting areas during bow season. Just throw on some orange. Shotgun and black powder season is another story, I won't even venture into hunting areas during December. Too many horror stories about guys shooting at noises in the brush, etc. I've been "aimed" at by hunters at Otis during black powder season and was actually talking to a hunter once when he saw a deer and popped off a shot (which was aimed directly at rt 28) right in front of me.

I stick to No hunting areas and wear a lot of Orange in December.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

CP
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    Not cool that anyone is hunting in a no hunting area, but bow season is not that dangerous. I have no qualms about riding in hunting areas during bow season. Just throw on some orange. Shotgun and black powder season is another story, I won't even venture into hunting areas during December. Too many horror stories about guys shooting at noises in the brush, etc. I've been "aimed" at by hunters at Otis during black powder season and was actually talking to a hunter once when he saw a deer and popped off a shot (which was aimed directly at rt 28) right in front of me.

I stick to No hunting areas and wear a lot of Orange in December.
    Agreed, bow hunters are a MUCH higher skilled bunch, arrows aren't "throw away" like a bullet is, they need to be closer to their target before shooting, and (usually) cant reload very quickly. I ride pretty much worry free during most of the hunting season, with one exception ~ the ONLY times I make a point to avoid hunting areas & typical hunting time-of-days is during shotgun(deer) season, which starts Monday after Thanksgiving...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I stick to a lot of state parks for riding in the fall due to hunters, and bright colors/ hunter orange is a must. Helps that my bike is bright blue, too!

Very helpful thread, though, to have in mind where I can and can't be riding. Cutler Park and Needham TF are just on the other side of the pike from LLF and offer some fun loops. But yeah, Sundays are fundays!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So I'm confused about Willowdale. I've heard several people mention that hunting is allowed in Willowdale, but I've seen several No Hunting on State Land signs both near Topsfield Road and Linebrook Road. So am I going to get shot or not?

I was in PA last week, where they own more guns per capita than Texas. I put a bear bell on my Camelbak, and got a cheap orange vest. Guess I'll just start wearing them everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast