mtbr member

HP Loop recommendations for noobs?

Hi!

Over from VT/NH/ME forums. I live in NH but work out of Boston and Andover.

Sorry to ask about HP loops again but since I work out of Andover, was thinking of taking the bike with me to work and head over to HP over lunch. I work out of Exit 45 (I-93) so I'm pretty close. Also, my son's Mtb club at school which he just joined is going to HP soon so he would like to try it out beforehand.

What would be your recommendations for a beginner 5-8 mile loop? Not just fireroads or boring double-tracks but something that has a little bit of challenge. We've done FOMBA and a little of Bear Brook so maybe that would be a good hint.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by fda47; 10-09-2009 at 03:59 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    HP singletrack is probably a little more rugged than FOMBA. I'd suggest you just give it a try from the gravel lot off HP Rd. on the left coming in from 125 (at state police barracks). The ST along Field Pond is mellow and then just see how it goes N of HP Rd. Some guidance here: http://www.nsnemba.org/wickedmap07.pdf and http://www.nsnemba.org/images/HP_TopoMap.jpg

If you come to the Wicked Ride of the East 10/25 (same basic route as the above map), an easy loop will be marked. This mostly woods road, but you can do some of the advanced loop and retreat to the easier stuff if you need a break.

mtbr member
    Thanks ramshackle. Gonna see if we can join in on the Wicked Ride of the East. NEMBAFest at BB gave us a good idea of the intermediate trails at BB so am thinking Wicked would be pretty much similar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

don't be fooled

Quote Originally Posted by fda47
    Thanks ramshackle. Gonna see if we can join in on the Wicked Ride of the East. NEMBAFest at BB gave us a good idea of the intermediate trails at BB so am thinking Wicked would be pretty much similar.
    at hp, you generally have trails that are way more techy than anything at bear brook, or you have boring easy dirt roads and not much in between. bb is all of the in between that so many love. so, the marked beginner loop is way beginner and the other stuff is harder than anything you rode at bear brook and more techy than fomba. that said, i love hp.

rog

mtbr member
    hey Rog. Thanks for the perspective. The more I think about it, we may not be ready for HP just yet. Not sure if my son will go with the ride (school's club) tomorrow when he finds out what trails HP has. Though the club's standard aim is no rider left behind