mtbr member

How are the trails in the Boston area?

My soon to be fiance and I are planning a move to Boston in January (brrrrr). I just started getting into mountian biking a few months ago, and was wondering what the trails are like out there. Growing up and living in Northern CA has definately spoiled me, but I'm hoping there's decent enough trails near Boston

Authority is dead!
    you will consider CA an easy fireroad after you ride East coast! lenty of trails around here, mountains are 2-3 hours away.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

Who are the brain police?
    What kind of riding specifically, and when you say Boston do you mean Boston.. or X miles north, south, or west?

There's lots of good stuff around..
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    I'll be staying in Brighton till I get settled and hopefully purchase a townhome somewhere.

I do mostly XC type riding, usually about 10 miles with good climbing and semi-technical downhills.

Hmm. I'm more familiar with the north shore (north of boston), but I think the Blue Hills reservation isn't too far from Brighton. I think its in Milton.

It has lots of good climbs and xc.
    http://nemba.org/ridingzone/p_Blue_H...servation.html

Check out the forums on these two site. There's usually group rides posted..
    http://bustedspoke.com/
    http://nemba.org/
    Ween - The Grobe

mtbr member
    Lynn Woods is right around the corner from Boston, and one of the best times I've ever had on a bike.

I like to ride my bike.

Good job!

The north shore is awsome!! North of boston you'll find famous Lynn Woods- All mountain/ Freeride

Bradley Palmer Cross Country-Topsfield I think?
    Breakheart Reservation-xc-wakefield
    Harold Parker-reading-xc
    Blue Hill reservation-xc

Many more, just ask around!

mtbr member
    i lived in brighton for a few years. middlesex fells ("the fells") and belmont are probably the closest trails to you, both within 20 minutes away. drive out an hour and you'll have a pretty nice selection of trails available to you.

boston trails are definitely challenging. no long extended climbs, but many steep rocks and boulders, switchbacks, roots and drops everywhere . . . you're gonna love it. check out the forums on nemba.org and ragemtb.com, they're both pretty active xc forums.

and technical is a relative term, you're gonna really put that rift zone to use. i live in se michigan now and the most technical trail within a two hour drive, which many here are reluctant to ride cuz it's so "rocky and rooty", is about as challenging as your easiest xc new england trail. speed is king here (6 months and i still can't keep up ).

enjoy!
    ant
    Last edited by antonio; 09-09-2005 at 06:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Soon to be?

Don't count your chickens my friend. A "soon to be fiance" is still a girlfriend last time I checked....... Get that ring on her finger before you start using fiance in any more conversations. On the bright side you still have time to ride and be immature before your saturday ride with buddies turns into a guilt trip followed up by afternoon excursions to pottery barn.

Oh yeah, If it is possible move to Somerville or Cambridge that way you are close to the fells and can hop onto the highway and be in the north shore within minutes for some awesome riding.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    tons of nice trails in boston. get hooked up with www.ragemtb.com and www.nemba.org and you'll have a choice of group rides to go on to get to know the area. very active groups in the spring, summer and fall.

I don't know. I was in my 10th year dating before I bought the ring. I felt like I was already married well before I proposed. The only thing marriage changed was our saving went down many many many $K... for that party know as a wedding.
    Ween - The Grobe

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

start buying some cold weather gear

Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree
    My soon to be fiance and I are planning a move to Boston in January (brrrrr). I just started getting into mountian biking a few months ago, and was wondering what the trails are like out there. Growing up and living in Northern CA has definately spoiled me, but I'm hoping there's decent enough trails near Boston
    My daughter goes to Boston College so I have had the pleasure to visit Boston and bring my bike. Two favorites were Lynn Woods and Vietnam. Just use this site and look them up. If you just got into mtn biking than you have just tasted CA. But don't worry there is lots of mtn biking there. Their notion of a mtn is our idea of a hill but they more than make up for lack of climbing with a style of mtn biking that is more intimate. You don't get grand vistas and do trails that climb 3000 ft but you do have to raise the bar on your technical skills and you better be able to read a map. When riding you are enveloped in woods and foilage and it seems you never get a view where you get a feel for the lay of the land. So it is hard to wing a ride i f you don't know it.Rocks, roots, trees, drops, lush environments, and did I mention it gets WET. Then the bar is raised on everything.About the only thing negative is the winter and your inevitable down time. That is when your fiance will start thinking how nice it is that she doesn't have to compete for your constant attention. Then when spring rolls around and you've got ants in your pants every weekend you're going to have some problems. Good Luck