mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Holyoke-Skinner (B-street/ Earl's) Boost the Ranks Ride 6/20!

In the interest of promoting more social group rides and helping folks get a handle on the many great areas we have to ride in the PV-we'll be starting our Boost the Ranks ride series next Saturday. We selected the trails at Batchelor St and Earl's (the holyoke range and skinner SFs) to kick this off!

So, do Like earl's or B-street (or Both) but would like to get to know them better?? Always wanted to check these out, but were either intimidated or just didn't know who to go with?? Are You a long time B-street/ Earl's Pro but would like to join a larger group ride just because??

Well, if you answered yes to any of those questions then this ride is for you! Here are some more bullet-point style details:

WHEN: 9am Saturday June 20th

WHERE: The Notch Visitor Center on rte 116 near Amherst/ South Hadley border-HQ of the Holyoke-Skinner Sfs

WHAT: There will be multi-ability led group rides of the incomparable Earl's Trails and Batchelor St. Trails. This is a social and not a competitive event, just a chance for PV-NEMBA types to get to know the larger riding public and vice versa.

WHY: Well, why not?!? We'll try to figure a good place to eat and socialize after the ride as well.

If you're interested in coming/ helping-just want to more info or just want to talk about any mountain bike related issue-send me and email-

See Everyone next Saturday

Liam
    ginaliam@mac.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    This sounds kind of cool, I have never ridden both sides in one ride. How many miles are you thinking this ride will be?

I am planning on taking my nephew to the Hares kids ride at Robinson on the 20th. But he hasn't said yes or no to that idea yet. If he bails on the kids ride I will try to make this.

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    I am planning on taking my nephew to the Hares kids ride at Robinson on the 20th. But he hasn't said yes or no to that idea yet. If he bails on the kids ride I will try to make this.
    ...or you could just ride both with me, Tim

Liam, if you need someone to take a slower group, I'm down for that.

Red

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    ...or you could just ride both with me, Tim

Liam, if you need someone to take a slower group, I'm down for that.

Red
    I am not sure that would fly with my better half .............(translation: I am way too much of a wuss for that)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Red et al.,

Yeah, I'd love to get any eager, knowledgeable local riders to come out and help and lead...honestly, Of all the PV places to ride, I navigate earl's the worst (and oddly enough, I'm about as good of a Batchelor St guide as there is..no really!)-so good Earl's ttrail navigational skills are a plus in my book.

C'mon out folks, it's a no pressure, great chance to explore the Holyoke-skinner range witha friendly crew...and find out what all the fuss is about!

Liam

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperbMan
    Red et al.,

Yeah, I'd love to get any eager, knowledgeable local riders to come out and help and lead...honestly, Of all the PV places to ride, I navigate earl's the worst (and oddly enough, I'm about as good of a Batchelor St guide as there is..no really!)-so good Earl's ttrail navigational skills are a plus in my book.

C'mon out folks, it's a no pressure, great chance to explore the Holyoke-skinner range witha friendly crew...and find out what all the fuss is about!

Liam
    How long of a ride are you thinking (time / milage) of doing?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    pretty sure i could make it

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Dan, look forward to seeing you there.

Tim, distance and time depends on who shows, if there are multiple groups and the vibe and ability of each group (and to some extent each ride leader as well!.

If folks want a three hour (or more) hard romp-I think we can pull that off, though, I suspect most will be looking for a three hour pleasure cruise (which is great, too).

Again, these rides are social events that, hopefully, will highlight the great trails maintained and built by bikers here in the Pioneer Valley. With That in Mind, I think a loop on Earls and a loop on B-street-centered on the notch is the ticket.

At the end of the summer we'll be resurrecting the three Part Epic ride series...which will really showcase the amount of longer expert rides that are available here in the PV.

Liam

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So we are meeting at the Notch visiting center not at b-street??

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Dan,

Meeting at the Notch Visitor's Center on 116. Lots of parking and easy access to both areas from there.

H.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hado_pv
    Dan,

Meeting at the Notch Visitor's Center on 116. Lots of parking and easy access to both areas from there.

H.
    Thanks a lot. I just need to find myself a helmet, otherwise I'm ready to go!

achiever
    Dan, if you need a helmet for this ride, I have one you can borrow but you really should get your own. I never wore a helmet growing up doing anything and I've had numerous concussions. A couple of years ago I hit a tree (with a helmet on) and knocked myself out for a few minutes. This was on the way to work. When I got there a coworker made me go to the hospital and sure enough, another concussion. For a few months after that, everytime I crashed, if I jarred my head just a little bit, I would "gray out" and almost lose consciousness. Not good. Moral of the story. Wear a helmet. Either way, I'll bring the lid just in case.

Tim, my house 8:00 ish?

Liam, I know earl's pretty well but I always seem to be climbing... I usually start at Chmura so at least the last few minutes are downhill. We could take the good twisty trail with the jug down for a while then climb up to the top of Tinker Hill and bomb down to Chmura. From there we could climb back to Military Rd. on the twisty, smooth singletrack closest to 116. Or something like that...,

Red

Steam Donkey
    This event is for all abilities. There will be rides for slower and/or shorter-distance riders, as well. Groups will break as needed. We have plenty of leaders.
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

achiever
    Is there a rain date for this, not that the weather looks sketchy or anything...

mtbr member
    I'm pretty sure I'll be troopin' over from Boston with at least one more person. Thanks for organizing.

And what are the trails like?

achiever
    Trails range from smooth, buff singletrack to rocky, technical cross country stuff (ie: not a lot of hucking).

Looks like the rain is going to hold off until the afternoon now, too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    This Might be a close call-If necessary I'm willing to run this again NEXT weekend (JUne 27) if need be-but, if the rain holds off we'll do our best to get this sucker in tomorrow!!

Liam

Oh-Helmets are a must (replying to some earlier posts_)...30 dollar helmets have the same ANSI rating as 200 dollar helmets so there are no reasons to have any other helmet but your own....

Steam Donkey

Good job!

Weather is looking up!!! Bringing a few along with me. See you in the AM.
    If you didn't build the trail, don't mess with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    finally found the helmet I wanted so I'll be there

mtbr member
    Hey Liam, good to meet you and thanks for organizing a great ride. My buddy had crank troubles after the Earl's ride so we never made it to the B Street side, but we definitely plan on heading back.

You guys sure have some fun trails on the other side of the state!

Ant

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    it was a great ride. thanks to everyone for helping me out and waiting for me when i was slow

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks to everyone who came out! We had close to 24 riders split into three groups paced on speed. All things considered, I think it ran pretty smoothly and I hope folks had a good time.

Big Thanks to RedWarrior who really saved the day helping to run the pleasant-paced group and offering to shepherd the stragglers over to B-street! Terry A if you're out there, thanks for allowing yourself to get shanghai-ed into leading the medium paced gang (the biggest crew!).

I was surprised more folks didn't join us for the Batchelor St loop ( I was worried that we wouldn't get enough time on that side or the Earl's wouldn't be enough riding for most folks! Shows what I know ).

Antonio-I was surprised you didn't check out the burlier side of the Notch-but now that I read about your Bud's mechanical troubles I understand-but you show make a return trip to check it out-you'll be blown away!

Next Boost the Ranks ride will beon the Ridges of Deerfield (I think, anyway).

Oh, and July 12th is the Adventure Series ride at Wendell-many miles of NEW trails on the expert loop!

See Ya,

Liam

achiever
    I had a blast yesterday and was happy to help out and meet a bunch of new people. Looking forward to the next Boost the Ranks but can't wait to get back to Wendell for the Adventure Series.

Red (Kris)