Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    thread killer

New question here. Holyoke Mountain

Holyoke Mountain

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good ride at Holyoke MT?

Riding Saturday AM.(8/14) First time my buddy and I are riding there.

I have a GPS so Im not worried about getting lost. It just seems like; when we go some place new were always going the wrong way for the flow or on the wrong trail. Know what I mean?

Any tips or pointers would be great.

Thanks, Bryan.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have ridden there about 6 times now as i am from the area. I too would like to know which loops and trails people are taking.

I know exactly what you mean when you talk about going the wrong way for the flow of the trails. There was a couple times on my first days out we passed a number people heading in the opposite direction, most of them giving us confused looks and making mild jokes about going the right way. Gave us some good laughs to say the least.

Here are the printable .pdf's for the area to get you started if you don't have maps already. I have found they tend to run out quite often.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails...Mt.Holyoke.pdf
    http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails/print/Skinner.pdf

Overall I am loving the trails, but have only explored a few so far. I have a fun time ripping down from the notch to the quarry entrance, then dipping down Jacobs ladder to roller coaster or hitting serpentine/lower access trail. But unless you park at the top @ the notch and bottom @ bachelor street its an awfully quick run with a pretty big hill to ride back up.

I have found the skinner side to test my endurance pretty good, but again I could be going against the flow on these trails for all I know. Haha, we have a blast though to say the least.

Needless to say the trails are great and I love riding on them!

Bring on them tips, pointers, n routes

Thanks as well,
    Tyler
    Last edited by liquidbings; 08-11-2010 at 07:51 AM.

achiever
    Everything is rideable both ways at B-street, you just have to know the trails a bit. This is a pretty good intro loop:

Out of the parking lot, head up to IMBA, climb IMBA which turns into Pond Trail. After the roots at the top of Pond, go right onto Swamp. Make your first left onto Jacobs Ladder. At the end of Jacobs, make a left onto Raptor (or is it T-rex?) stay on that trail until you come to an intersection with a jeep road. Head across that and bang a left onto Lizard King. After LK, make a right onto the jeep road, right onto some singletrack to skirt the mud then go right up the jeep road. Follow that for a while but as you start to go down, bang a left onto Twister. Follow Twister to the PNW looking forest at the bottom, cross the stone wall and head back to the lot on the roadish trail on your left.

http://www.hampshire.edu/cms_html/Holyoke_Range.htm

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Like red warrior says, every trail is designed to be ridden in both directions (and most folks mix them up regularly).

My recommendation is, since you're going on a Saturday, when you park on Batchelor st (and you should park on Batchelor St) hang out and try to hook up with one of the many local groups that will be riding on Saturday.

Most folks are pretty friendly and proud to show newcomers these local trails.

Don't be shy, speak up, and hang on for a great ride.

Liam

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Edit

thread killer
    thanks for the info guys.

any more?
    next time

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF-IDK
    Holyoke Mountain

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good ride at Holyoke MT?

Riding Saturday AM.(8/14) First time my buddy and I are riding there.

I have a GPS so Im not worried about getting lost. It just seems like; when we go some place new were always going the wrong way for the flow or on the wrong trail. Know what I mean?

Any tips or pointers would be great.

Thanks, Bryan.
    Bryan
    I'm planning of riding there both days this weekend, what time you rolling on Saturday?

thread killer
    Hey Tim,

Not sure what time well be at the parking lot/trail head.

Im guessing mid to late morning 10-11

Were using the driving directions off of bikerag to find the lot.

Ill be rocking my white SC Heckler w/ red wheels. You cant miss it.
    next time

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hey Tim,

Not sure what time well be at the parking lot/trail head.

Im guessing mid to late morning 10-11

Were using the driving directions off of bikerag to find the lot.

Ill be rocking my white SC Heckler w/ red wheels. You cant miss it.

Change of plans, heading to Catamount ski area to check out the new DH trails. They are only open on Saturdays and I friend and I have been trying to get there for months now. The star finally aligned and we both have tomorrow open.

thread killer
    Thanks for the ride Red.

Youre a hard guy to keep up with.

Let me know if you want to try some stuff in CT. I can show you around.

But I probably still won't keep up with you. ha ha.
    next time

achiever
    Thanks for the ride Red.

Youre a hard guy to keep up with.

Let me know if you want to try some stuff in CT. I can show you around.

But I probably still won't keep up with you. ha ha.
    You guys did fine! Glad I could help out and show you around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I had a great ride as well and thanks for all the help after breaking my rear D hanger off. Since then, I got a knew one along with a spare. Thanks again! Hope to hook up with you guys again in the future.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    lol I broke my Rear D off last week riding down there too. I must have gave it a good whack on a rock as it just snapped right off going up a short incline with no rocks or anything around me at all.

Love riding up there, hope to catch some of you guys around some time. Just took my first trip up to killington the other day too, was a blast to say the least.

thread killer
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksterr
    I had a great ride as well and thanks for all the help after breaking my rear D hanger off. Since then, I got a knew one along with a spare. Thanks again! Hope to hook up with you guys again in the future.
    Any time.

It was a good ride. My friend Kevin and I are going to go back this Saturday (8/28).

Can you and/or Red recommend another good loop? We would like to try to get to rollercoaster? Maybe about 10 miles of distance? I think the loop we did with Red was just under 6.

So Red whatcha got?
    next time

achiever
    Go up IMBA to Pond, continue up through the roots until you get to a "Y" intersection. Go right onto Swamp (left is Rollercoaster, remember that). Take a right onto Jacobs Ladder. At the end of Jacobs, go right onto Raptor (or is it Trex?) follow that until y ou come to a fire road intersection. Go straight acrosss the intersection and make your first left onto Lizard King. At the end of LK, take a right onto the fireroad, then a right onto the next fireroad. Climb a bit, then go down. Watch out on your right fora trail coming down. That's Technical Trail. Climb p Tech for a bit then make a left onto Serpent God. Enjoy the rocky goodness! At the bottom of SG you have to pay attention and follow a connector to Serpentine. If you stay to the left, you'll end up on a fireroad that you don't want to be on. On serpentine, you'll come to an intersection go right. Follow this trail until you come out on a fireroad just above the pond. Go basically across the fireroad onto Em's Gem. Climb this until you come back out onto Pond Trail (you've been here before). Climb through the roots again and make a left at the fork onto Rollercoaster. You'll climb for a bit then let it rip going down but be careful, RC is a good trail to climb and many do... Keep following singletrack, you'll cross a couple of fireroads. Eventually, the singletrack turns into Yellow Brick Road which isn't on the map. Fallow that back to the parking lot. You'll be tired.

thread killer
    Thanks Red.

That sounds like an awesome loop.

Will we see you up there?
    next time

achiever
    Not in. Have a kid's ride in the morning and other things going on in the afternoon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks Red.

That sounds like an awesome loop.

Will we see you up there?
    what time are you guys riding?

Not sure what I have going on this weekend yet. Sunday morning is ussually when i ride, but I might be able to swing a Sat. morning ride. Need to check with the boss

thread killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    what time are you guys riding?

Not sure what I have going on this weekend yet. Sunday morning is ussually when i ride, but I might be able to swing a Sat. morning ride. Need to check with the boss

Hey Tim.

I'm guessing that we would be there (@ parking lot) around 10-11.
    next time

achiever
    Tm,

There is a ride Sunday at 10:30 from the lot. Shouldn't be too hard of a pace. I think I'm back up leader or something but I'm probably going to ride over from Earl's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Bonking ... not feelin' well Sunday Holyoke Ride

Hey Chris,

I might see you up there on Sunday. Will not be able to make the Robinson Ride on Saturday due to a soccer game.

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    Should be lots of people on Sunday. Will have enough leaders to split into multiple groups if needed. Come on out!

- Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redwarrior
    Tm,

There is a ride Sunday at 10:30 from the lot. Shouldn't be too hard of a pace. I think I'm back up leader or something but I'm probably going to ride over from Earl's.

I might be able to make this. Any idea of what route you guys are doing?

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux
    I might be able to make this. Any idea of what route you guys are doing?
    No clue. Probably split into a couple of different groups like Chris said. Maybe start together and regroup based on pace after a little bit.

thread killer
    Good ride.

Pretty sure we didn't follow your directions exactly because we never ended up going down roller coaster.

Kevin snapped his chain early in the ride, fixed and kept riding.

I snapped off my rear derailleur. lol. Fixed and kept riding. Good thing I had my spare hanger on my key chain.

I snapped off my rear derailleur. lol. Fixed and kept riding. good thing I had my spare hanger on my key chain.

Red, we'll have to meet up again so I can figure out where to go.

I'm on vacation for a couple weeks. On my way to MOMBAT.ORG

Maybe we can get a ride in before it snows.
    next time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast