Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hodges Ride Photos (Slideshow)

I didn't take many photos of the ride on Wednesday but I was able to grab a bunch of photos from the helmet cam video I took (which came out really good).

Below is the link to the slideshow. You can click the icon in the middle of the screen to view it full screen. There is music so adjust your volume accordingly. If the music doesn't start right away you may have to restart the show.

Slideshow Link

Enjoy!
    Kevin
    Last edited by woodsguy; 06-14-2007 at 07:08 PM.

I like to ride my bike.
    Very cool. I also like the host...(as opposed to... youtube<--which should be a swear)....Anyway, great slideshow, very unique too.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice slideshow man. Hodges is down in Oxford, right? I'm pretty sure that's we're a friend of mine has been doing her night rides with a group of guys from work. She's been trying to get me to come down there... and now I think I really need to! Looks like some perfect trails.

It kills me to see great shots like that when I can't ride right now (neck/back got all screwed up taking a spill out in Oregon a few weeks ago). Hopefully after another week or so of PT I'll be back up on the bike.

mtbr member
    Yea, Hodges Village Dam is in Oxford, MA. Pretty cool trails down there.

Good luck with the PT!

See you on the trails,
    Kevin

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I may be visiting this on the 23rd per recommendation in my thread a few lines down.

Looks like a nice place to ride. You just happened to post this at the perfect time. Gives me an idea of what I'll be up against.

aka Gumbo
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for posting woodsguy! That was fun and I hope to ride with the Blackstone Valley crew again before too long

Nostralpicas
    Love the music I'll be riding in pocahontas county wv next week good insperation

mtbr member

That was very well done.

I enjoyed watching that very much.Short but sweet,nice work look forward to more in the furture.CF..

A_A
    mtbr member
    Woodsguy,

What are you using for a helmet cam?

mtbr member
    Nice slideshow woodsguy, that quality is great for still captures from video. Liked the soundtrack too.

Guess I'll have to make it out west of Boston for a ride this summer, I like the look of those trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A_A
    Woodsguy,

What are you using for a helmet cam?
    LOL. It's kinda funny actually. I'm using my Canon SD400 point and shoot camera mounted to a small tripod which is strapped to the front of my helmet (see attached pic). It takes really good VGA video at 30fps. It records to mjpeg which is esentually 30 VGA jpgs a second which is why the stills come out pretty good. The downside is that I can only fit 16' 41" on a 2gb SD card and can only record 1gb at a time. But with the button so easily reached it is no problem starting and stopping the video on the move (and 2gb cards are <$20). Another plus is that the mic is on the back so there is almost zero wind noise (but you can hear my labored breathing perfectly!).

I'm considering the slightly larger Canon TX1 which can record HD video up to 4gb at a time (which is also only about 16') and its optical image stabilizer works in video mode. The downsides to this camera are that it is new and expensive so I would be afraid of breaking it (my current camera is getting old so I don't care so much about it) and the fact that it is set up like a video camera forcing me to mount it on the side of my helmet which makes perfect alignment of the video impossible.

I wish Canon would build a helmet cam with the capabilities of the TX but spilt into two pieces connected via usb cable. The camera being one piece mounted to the front of my helmet and the battery, SD card, and screen the other piece mounted to the back (that peice could also double as a media player). It could also be waterproof/shockproof.

Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by woodsguy; 06-19-2007 at 02:17 PM.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Wow, that trail is *flat*.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brendancahill
    Wow, that trail is *flat*.
    Wow, you can tell that from a few two dimensional pictures? Impressive. You are correct though, it is flat compared to a dh course. But for a xc ride it has a great mix of smooth tight single track, technical sections, tough climbs, and flowy downhills. The "roller coaster" section is especially fun.
    Last edited by woodsguy; 06-19-2007 at 02:37 PM.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsguy
    Wow, you can tell that from a few two dimensional pictures? Impressive.

Why, thank you sir!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    thanks Kevin---nice slide show---people are so creative with digicams and computers----dunno how they do it----question, does anybody ever ride the stuff at hodges off of the power lines that end up on the back side of the rock quarry? ---its fantastic stuff worth checking out if you havent done so---its just that whenever hodges is mentioned, it seems like its always the flowy, roller coaster trails near the french river.

mtbr member
    Yea, I've climbed those powerlines. There are some cool trails over there by the waterfall. I usually only ride at Hodges on the Wednesday evening group rides so we usually don't have time to get over there. The few times I have been over there was because we had a large enough group to split up into a faster/longer group and a mellow group. This ride was a more mellow ride so we just did the trails around the resevouir and covered about 8 miles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Woodsguy,

I'd be interested in meeting up for one of those Wednesday night rides if there's an open invitation!

I've been riding for about 3 years now and mostly hang out at Hodges, Douglas State Park and Boynton Park in Worcester.

Can you give me some specifics on the ride...time, meeting place, etc?

On a side note, I see you're from Sutton. I don't know if you grew up there but I did. Class of 96.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    You think that's rideable?

mtbr member
    The Wednesday evening rides are though the Blackstone Valley Chapter of NEMBA www.bvnemba.org. This week we are riding at the Rayburn Trails in Millbury. Forum Link. We are meeting in the Buck Bros lot. The directions are on the website. Hope you can make it.

No, we just moved here in November of 2005. I'm originally from rural central PA. I love this area. It is quiet, rural but still close to Boston, Providence, Worcester, and Hartford, has tons of riding in every direction, and the housing costs are low (comparitvely).

mtbr member
    Definitely check out the group rides if you can make it. They re a good time and allow for just about all riding levels.Just got my new chain and helmet... All I need now is a portable air conditioning unit and Im all set for tomorrow.

v5/2011 Blindside

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsguy
    LOL. It's kinda funny actually. I'm using my Canon SD400 point and shoot camera mounted to a small tripod which is strapped to the front of my helmet (see attached pic).
    Hi woodsguy,
    Very clever idea of helmet-mounting it!

Some questions for you, please...

- In the pic, the camera looks to be mounted up-side-down. If true, then I assume your video is taken up-side-down, but still frames are flipped upon being taken out...?

- What's your tri-pod? (URL?) Looks much smaller/lighter than mine. (I can't imagine mounting my tripod on helmet - too heavy.)

- For my simple low-tech & web-posting (& low-budget) purpose, I'm trying to decide between Oregon Scientific ATC-2000 (30fps for Version 2) with mounting kits or Canon SD750 (30ftp for 640x... or 60fps for 320x...) somehow strapped on a helmet. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    - PiroChu

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PiroChu
    Hi woodsguy,
    Very clever idea of helmet-mounting it!

Some questions for you, please...

- In the pic, the camera looks to be mounted up-side-down. If true, then I assume your video is taken up-side-down, but still frames are flipped upon being taken out...?

- What's your tri-pod? (URL?) Looks much smaller/lighter than mine. (I can't imagine mounting my tripod on helmet - too heavy.)

- For my simple low-tech & web-posting (& low-budget) purpose, I'm trying to decide between Oregon Scientific ATC-2000 (30fps for Version 2) with mounting kits or Canon SD750 (30ftp for 640x... or 60fps for 320x...) somehow strapped on a helmet. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    - PiroChu
    Yes, the camera is upside down. I just flip the videos over when I bring them into MS Moviemaker. It's the only way I could figure to mount the camera without it being too high. Plus, it makes accessing the power and shutter buttons really easy.

It is an REI Ultrapod.

I don't think a handlebar cam would work very well. It might work well mounted to your frame for a shot of the front wheel in action though. I would go with a Canon for a helmet cam. As far as I know they are the only ones using mjpeg which is essential if you want good stills from the video. You can get the model I have the for around $200. The Canon TX1 would work really well mounted to the side of your helmet.

v5/2011 Blindside
    Thanks for all the info, woodsguy!

I think I'll go with SD750, and try your REI tripod setup idea. (Once I have some tests/samples, I'll try to report back.)

Per its layout design, CNET's review of TX1 (over my budget anyway) wasn't as high as user reviews of it.

Thanks again,
    - PiroChu

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Woodsguy nice work! I have been trying to talk myself into purchasing a helmet cam and now I see why I have really wanted one. Great Images! Would love to see more and maybe some video....Will keep you updated if I end up with a helmet cam....Thanks!

mtbr member
    PiroChu/StowMtMan,

I can't post the video at full quality because it is about 1.3gb for 26min. But I can assure you that the video quality is very good. The only thing I don't like is a bit of shake in the really rocky sections (I blame my helmet which moves even though it is strapped on tight). An optical image stabilizer would really help. Which is why I like the TX1 because unlike every other digicam out there, its optical (not digital, which is not as good) image stabilizer works in video mode and not for just still images. I just wish it were the size and layout of mine so I can mount it in the front.

Kevin

PS: One note about the tripod, it comes with a strap but I used an additonal strap to get it on there really tight.

v5/2011 Blindside

Good job! Update on helmet-cam setup...

I picked a tripod the other day and the camera (Canon SD-750) arrived yesterday, so here’s my update…

The local REI here didn’t have woodsguy's UltraPod-I, but they had UltraPod-Mini instead. Luckily, the new Mini is said to have slightly shorter legs (by about 10mm), and it weighs 47g on my digital scale. (By the way, those “Ultra…” tripods sold at REI are manufactured by a company called Pedco in Redmond, WA).

--- UltraPod Mini ---

Posted below are some pictures.

I had to take off the helmet visor, but the tripod fits/sits very well on my cross-country helmet (Bell Influx, size L). Luckily per the helmet-vent layout, the two front vents holds in the two slightly-opened tripod legs nicely/snugly, while the center leg’s triangle shape fits perfectly with the helmet’s center column’s surface shape. The one accompanying Velcro strap (wrapped around twice) was quite sufficient to very-tightly secure it without any wiggle. (It’s actually more secure/stable than my helmet-light mount.) Also, the Mini sits/settles much lower on my helmet (than on woodsguy’s helmet?) per its frontal-slope angle, allowing me to keep the camera mounted right-side-up at reasonably low height. (I also tried to mount the camera up-side-down, but the camera came down to my forehead, blocking my upward peripheral view. Of course, I’ll have to go for a test ride to really determine this, though.) And, just briefly, I even pondered if night-riding is possible with this setup (though I don't get to go night-riding anymore since the baby), per last pic below.

I haven’t figured out a way to mount the Mini tripod on my full face helmet (Giro Remedy, size L), but I probably shouldn’t be doing this on the rides I need my full-face anyway.

I’ll try to update again once I get a sample video out on a trail.

Thanks again, woodsguy, for this idea!
    - PiroChu
    Last edited by PiroChu; 07-19-2007 at 09:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast