crash test dummy
    Aug 2004

A hiker's reasonably balanced perspective on user conflict in the Fells

Worth a read and definitely worth a comment. Education and engagement are the only way forward. I completely disagree with his initial premise - that erosion has greatly increased since mtn bikers were given access to the orange trail. The conclusion is actually preposterous.

But his takeaways - that NEMBA has shown itself to be a responsible steward, and that education among users is the best way to improve trail conditions - I am totally in agreement with.

Multi-Use Conflict and Trail Overuse in the Middlesex Fells | Section Hiker

- Sunil

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Someone should just rename this Mass forum the Middlesex Fells forum Tired of hearing about that place, physical proximity is the only reason anyone should ever ride there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman829 View Post
    Someone should just rename this Mass forum the Middlesex Fells forum Tired of hearing about that place, physical proximity is the only reason anyone should ever ride there
    "Fells" was in the title.

Next time, don't click.

mtbr member
    I'm glad you posted. Battles like this can influence the DCR's attitude towards trails all over the state, I for one am glad we have a reasonable and strong MTB advocacy group in this state.

Class Clown
    They've done a good job so far fixing up some trails, closing some paths and making some trails narrower. If an area is that bad it can't take a mountain bike, then maybe it shouldn't be a trail.