mtbr member

Hiker Placed obstacles in the Fells

I was riding the orange loop on the south/east part of the trail and found 12-14 hiker placed obstacles along the trail. I took pictures of some of the obstacles before I moved them, but I did clear them out of the way... Very annoying.

Dissolved member
    When did you ride? I did not encounter those shortly before noon yesterday. Effing bunch of (senile) trail nazis with an entitlement... I wish they were spending their time with putting their deaf and blind dogs on a leash instead.

More than one, of course!
    My first thought was: Cool! Ashats are usually neutering the trails to a point slightly below bringing in asphalt and paving.
    Why'd you move them?
    It probably elevated the level of fun in the trail.
    FR
    "It's NEVER all downhill" DMR

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I always chuckle at what hikers think are 'obstacles.'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    When did you ride? I did not encounter those shortly before noon yesterday. Effing bunch of (senile) trail nazis with an entitlement... I wish they were spending their time with putting their deaf and blind dogs on a leash instead.
    It was right around 4 PM. I must have passed through just after them and we must have been going in the opposite direction. When I did the second loop, there was one more obstacle placed in the early part of the loop that I hadn't encountered the first time around so I probably rode right by the person or group...

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    They added some tech in there! Maybe they're looking for more of a show, Nam #2 at the Fells??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by far raider View Post
    My first thought was: Cool! Ashats are usually neutering the trails to a point slightly below bringing in asphalt and paving.
    Why'd you move them?
    It probably elevated the level of fun in the trail.
    FR
    I moved them because trail builders spent a lot of time building these trails and they didn't want many small obstacles that would easily roll when you ride over them.
    The particular section of trail has enough challenges already that it doesn't need random loose pieces of log/tree as a technicality...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    had a great pre-work rip on the orange today. thanks for cleaning up that rubbish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Would not be surprised one bit if it was the Nazi "Friends of the Fells".
    Scum of the earth, those cultish ******s.
    But most of those look fun!!! LOL.
    Lynn Woods
    JRA cycles
    YETI cycles.com

mtbr member
    I live in Winchester and ride the Fells 2-3 times a week. I also walk/trail run with my dog (the happy rotweiller!) every day and sometimes twice a day. Because of my job's flexibility I can be in there at any random time. Every week I disassemble and remove dangerous obstacles. Some of these booby traps are very pernicious and sly, as if planted by the freaking viet cong or taliban. I have moved stuff that scared the crap out me and could have seriously hurt a rider not paying attention or caught unawares. This has been going on for years and the amazing thing is that I have never caught or seen anyone doing this. I thought that statistically it would have happened by now. I live for the day when I can catch one of the bastards and stuff him in the trunk of his Prius.

Class Clown
    I saw something similar to this near that land bridge in the middle of the fells, not sure the technical name but it's a pretty open and well-traveled area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

The best thing you could do is also report these to DCR's emergency number: 617-722-1188. This is a safety issue and it also creates an important data point that documents it.
    -A

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    yup, document it with a report and photos. Show that despite biker efforts to not be ******bags, other people are fighting back.