mtbr member
    Jan 2013

highland mountain park?

Hi, all.
    I grew up in newton, and have been living in san francisco
    for the last 18 years,
    Headed home to visit family at the end of the month, and not bringing a bike.
    Is Highland the best/closest option for rentals and bang for you buck/travel time, for riding in the area?
    Thanks,been a long time since i've been home and know nothing about mtb in the boston area.
    Thanks!

More than one, of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by tppon View Post
    Hi, all.
    ,been a long time since i've been home and know nothing about mtb in the boston area.
    Thanks!
    You know where Highland is, right?
    https://maps.google.com/

May want to check out: NEMBA: New England Mountain Bike Association - Massachusetts Places To Ride
    "It's NEVER all downhill" DMR

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks,
    Yeah, I know it,s about two hours away,
    and that is reasonable driving tome (to me), for rentals and lifts,
    thanks for the nemba link, ill check it out

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Highland is your spot for lifts/rentals.
    Lots of other closer-by options for great trail riding too, just have to figure out a rental.

Have fun!

MC MasterShake
    2 places come to mind...

Highland - Awesome lift Freeride/DH riding. Full line up bikes for rental. From Newton it'd be a little under 2 hours. Lift lines can get long on the weekends.

Kingdom Trails - You can rent from East Burke Bike shop. Awesome XC/All mountain riding. They also have lift riding but only a few trails as they just opened the lifts a couple years ago. About 3.5 hours from Newton.

There is a ton of great riding in the Greater Boston Area. Way too many places to list. But finding a rental would be very difficult. You might call around and see about getting a demo bike if you want to go that route.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks all!!
    Ill look into kingdom, sounds fun!
    Cheers!

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    You should also check out STAB, Green Mountain Trails, Batchelor Street, Lynn Woods, Vietnam, North Shore (128 corridor rides), Waterbury, Millestone, Mad River Valley, everything in North Conway, Lowell Dracut isn't bad, Bear Brook, Musquash, Fort Rock, Pittsfield Mass trails, and if you're up for a little more driving I also recommend the lift stuff at Mountain Creek in NJ (roughly 4 hours) and Bromont in Quebec.

By end of the month are you talking next week? If so I'm out of town all week for work and staying over labor day weekend, but if it's another week I'm happy to show you around the greater boston trails. Lots of group rides happening as well, you can probably like into NEMBA rides fairly easy, as others have said.

You've been gone a while, not sure if you rode much when you did live here but most trails aren't marked well and the trees are much denser than anything out west, so going with someone would be my suggestion.

mtbr member
    Coming from California I found most of the riding in New England a severe disappointment. Having said that when I lived in Cali after a few years I found myself craving the green lush trails of New England. Unfortunately that feeling did not last too long for me once I was in New England. I love smooth super fast west coast single track, where you can climb for two hours and then bomb down in 20-30min. If that’s the kind of riding your looking for you wont find it. However great single track can be found, chances are it will be way more technical sometimes to the point of absurdity.

I have never been to Kingdom trails but heard they are awesome a long drive from Newton though. Highland has some good smooth-ish trails but some great free ride and bike park stuff. I would also add Killington to the list. This place is great best New England single track with lift access in my opinion. Ride the Gondola up and fly down. Lots of great trails and bikes for rent, also a long drive though. If you are in Newton and have a bike to ride check out Cutler park for some great local single track.

For rides with short drives from Newton I would highly recommend Callahan State Park - Framingham side, Marlborough is good too but a bit more technical, you can link them for a nice 8-10mile ride. Cutler – good 7-8mile ride, Groton Town forest (check out strava segements for the good trails – that goes for all the places), Great Brooks Farm – great trails, pretty ponds and ice cream! Lynn Woods and Fells only because they are close to you – though I am not too crazy about them. Vietnam/Milford if you want a taste of how insanely technical New England riding can get. Also Harold State park forest has some good single track and also some crazy technical stuff which will have you hike a biking and cursing the day you ever thought riding in New England can be enjoyable.

Demo bikes are a good route if you can find one, I know Pedal Power in Acton has a Stump Jumper 29er (?) for $35 a day. Also, check out International bike in Newton see what they got, Belmont Wheel Works might have something as well. In the end if you have a bike case or want to try shipbike.com …
    My shipbike.com review
    it might be cheaper.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post
    I love smooth super fast west coast single track, where you can climb for two hours and then bomb down in 20-30min. If that’s the kind of riding your looking for you wont find it. However great single track can be found, chances are it will be way more technical sometimes to the point of absurdity.
    You can't climb for hours with long descents in New England? I believe all these rides have close to 1000' sustained climbs. I'm not trying to be a dick, I love the west coast riding as well. But I think if you come here expecting that you will of course be disappointed, it's not the west coast and it doesn't want to be. But you can climb your @ss of here and if you can conquer the tech in New England you will go back (either to visit or move) to the west coast a much better rider than you left.

Just my 2 cents.

Yes, you have to look a little, there's not a 5000 vertical foot mountains along the city like Salt Lake has. There isn't 2000' mountains just north of the city like the bay area has. But within 60 minutes of the city you can ride 20 mile rides with some very technical and fun trails. Within 3-4 hours you can experience several bike parks and 100's and 100's of miles of trails from VT, CT, RI, ME, NH, NY, and NJ.

Having grown up on the west coast I hear where you're coming from. But if you aren't enjoying the riding in New England I have to blame the rider, not the location. There are awesome trails around here.

North Conway, NH: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Medicine for the soul near Conway | Times and Records | Strava
    Pittsfield, MA: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 34miles near Pittsfield | Times and Records | Strava
    Stowe, VT: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 31miles near Stowe | Times and Records | Strava
    Pittsfield, VT: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 19miles near Pittsfield | Times and Records | Strava
    Mad River Valley, VT: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Jul 15, 2012 Mad River, VT near Waitsfield | Times and Records | Strava

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    As AMjunky said, If you download strava and do "segment explore" you can get a good idea of where to ride in MA just based off of user-created segments popping up. I live in Bolton, MA and there are 10+ areas within 30 minutes from my house that I THOROUGHLY enjoy. Technical singletrack, some awesome DH, lots of rocks, and even the occasional 5-10 foot drop.
    Last edited by shredjekyll; 08-22-2013 at 01:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Rad.
    Thanks for all the replies, info and offer
    To show me around.
    I've only got 1 day to ride, so as much as I
    Like natural techy terrain, I think my best
    Bet is highland for rentals and concentration
    Of trails.
    If I can get a line in a rental locally ill
    Look into some of the stuff closer to me.
    Thanks again
    Looking forward to ridding on my home coast.
    Cheers!

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Check with JRA and/or Landrys if you're looking for a shop closer to Boston. Happy Trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    But you can climb your @ss of here and if you can conquer the tech in New England you will go back (either to visit or move) to the west coast a much better rider than you left.
    True dat!

If you can handle what New England has to dish out you will be able to handle just about anything. Lots of amazing riders out here! Some just too hard to believe, those are often retired racers or current Cat 1-3 racers, but not always. Just met a guy on the trails, pretty young, him and his bro are absolutely killin it on some secret awesome local trails! Bright racing future there for sure.

Was also riding at Harold State Park and ran into a family riding on one of the hardest most insanely technical rocky hell-hole trails. The kids were loving it, cleaning everything on their full suspension bikes. They actually enjoyed the rocky tech I try to avoid.

Thanks for posting those rides. I remember that North Conway ride you have there, I heard it could be shuttled? I have been looking at riding there for a few years but never made it up there. How are the trails up there? Any good flowy -smoothish climbs and descents, that Kettle Ridge climb looks nice.

Reminds me of one of my favorite SoCal trails that used to be just down the road from me - the Holly Jim trail - 2,275 ft over 5 miles. Kettle Ridge - 1,219ft over 3.5 miles, not bad not bad at all. Need to check that out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Amjunky, Did international have a video rental place right next door?
    if so, i know it.
    Sounds like I should bring my bike next time!
    It's funny I recognize a lot of the names from hiking when i was a kid.
    looking forward to riding wherever i end up.

mtbr member
    Amjunky, Did international have a video rental place right next door?
    if so, i know it.
    Sounds like I should bring my bike next time!
    It's funny I recognize a lot of the names from hiking when i was a kid.
    looking forward to riding wherever i end up.
    Not sure, I have only been there once. They have 2 locations one in Newton and one in Allston.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post
    Coming from California I found most of the riding in New England a severe disappointment. Having said that when I lived in Cali after a few years I found myself craving the green lush trails of New England. Unfortunately that feeling did not last too long for me once I was in New England. I love smooth super fast west coast single track, where you can climb for two hours and then bomb down in 20-30min. If that’s the kind of riding your looking for you wont find it. However great single track can be found, chances are it will be way more technical sometimes to the point of absurdity.

I have never been to Kingdom trails but heard they are awesome a long drive from Newton though. Highland has some good smooth-ish trails but some great free ride and bike park stuff. I would also add Killington to the list. This place is great best New England single track with lift access in my opinion. Ride the Gondola up and fly down. Lots of great trails and bikes for rent, also a long drive though. If you are in Newton and have a bike to ride check out Cutler park for some great local single track.

For rides with short drives from Newton I would highly recommend Callahan State Park - Framingham side, Marlborough is good too but a bit more technical, you can link them for a nice 8-10mile ride. Cutler – good 7-8mile ride, Groton Town forest (check out strava segements for the good trails – that goes for all the places), Great Brooks Farm – great trails, pretty ponds and ice cream! Lynn Woods and Fells only because they are close to you – though I am not too crazy about them. Vietnam/Milford if you want a taste of how insanely technical New England riding can get. Also Harold State park forest has some good single track and also some crazy technical stuff which will have you hike a biking and cursing the day you ever thought riding in New England can be enjoyable.

Demo bikes are a good route if you can find one, I know Pedal Power in Acton has a Stump Jumper 29er (?) for $35 a day. Also, check out International bike in Newton see what they got, Belmont Wheel Works might have something as well. In the end if you have a bike case or want to try shipbike.com …
    My shipbike.com review
    it might be cheaper.
    Man you HAVE to go to Kingdom Trails. Please do it...You will find everything you love there. It's epic, its fast, its flowy, its got tons of good climbs - and yes, enough technical stuff to keep you interested. Drive fast, 2.5 hours from Boston.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    by the way, i will add that Harold Parker is a fantastic place to ride around the Boston area. Yes, one of the harder/more technical spots, but you can also fly and flow in there as well.

I went last weekend and realized i need to ride more there to up my game. I'm getting soft - it kicked my ass. I cleaned a fair amount of stuff, but also got beat down by other stuff. Guys i ride with cleaned EVERYTHING up in there. Made me mad

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks again all.
    Bringing my rig next time.
    As this trips ride I'm taking my gf
    And soon to be married childhood friend
    For their first taste of lift assisted riding
    At highland.
    Cheers!

Dissolved member
    Thanks again all.
    Bringing my rig next time.
    As this trips ride I'm taking my gf
    And soon to be married childhood friend
    For their first taste of lift assisted riding
    At highland.
    Cheers!
    Just a note, the easy trail down can be quite challenging for someone who does not like steep descents with tight turns, rocks, loose dirt and berms. Do not ask me how I know.