crash test dummy
    Aug 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm help show mtn bike haters that censorship doesn't work

Hey guys.

A local conservation commission trying to derail trail improvement projects supported by DCR posted a video on youtube.

Stoneham Conservation Commission Fells visit 8-3-2012.m4v - YouTube

They're removing comments that don't support their insane world view. Can you guys help educate them on how teh Internetz works and pound the hell out of their comments section?

I don't care what you post - constructive comments on the video, vitriol, your mom's favorite cookie recipe. Just make them work for their idiotic censorship.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Never been to the Fells. Is that a mtn. bike trail or just a hiking/walking trail?

Why does the DCR even need to listen to these people anyway an have to be on such the defensive? Seems pretty simple they (DCR) just wanted the trail rerouted out of a sensitive area and these people want it to still go through. Am I missing something here?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Never been to the Fells. Is that a mtn. bike trail or just a hiking/walking trail?

Why does the DCR even need to listen to these people anyway an have to be on such the defensive? Seems pretty simple they (DCR) just wanted the trail rerouted out of a sensitive area and these people want it to still go through. Am I missing something here?
    I think you've missed years of hassling, arguing and bad blood between the "Friends of the Fells" and DCR and NEMBA. I think they should log the whole site just to punish all the idiots fighting over it(ok not really). Its a park people....,hike, bike, build trails, whatever, just enjoy it and be glad you don't have asian longhorn beetles.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    I think you've missed years of hassling, arguing and bad blood between the "Friends of the Fells" and DCR and NEMBA. I think they should log the whole site just to punish all the idiots fighting over it(ok not really). Its a park people....,hike, bike, build trails, whatever, just enjoy it and be glad you don't have asian longhorn beetles.
    Oh, I'm very aware of all the BS involving the Fells, NEMBA, FOF etc., just never really wanted to go ride there so I was curious if it was a mtn bike trail or they were *****ing about something else for a change. Yeah, I agree it's just a Park but some people are never happy unless they have something to gripe about (cough..ex wife, cough cough).

Class Clown
    the nerdy trail chick is kinda cute

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    the nerdy trail chick is kinda cute
    She is and probably gets paid peanuts to put up with the BS of the trail gestapos

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Funny that they blame the mountain bikers for the trail reroute. I was really disappointed they took out those stone steps on the Orange Trail...they were a lot of fun to slam down, and they gave a nice ego boost when I cleared them going up. The new trail section is nice, but doesn't have the same brutal character the old trail did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simian23 View Post
    Hey guys.

A local conservation commission trying to derail trail improvement projects supported by DCR posted a video on youtube.

Stoneham Conservation Commission Fells visit 8-3-2012.m4v - YouTube

They're removing comments that don't support their insane world view. Can you guys help educate them on how teh Internetz works and pound the hell out of their comments section?

I don't care what you post - constructive comments on the video, vitriol, your mom's favorite cookie recipe. Just make them work for their idiotic censorship.

Thanks!
    I must have missed the reference to mtn bikers, and what is it that they censored? Either way, leaving vitriol only serves to reinforce their stereotypes of mtn bikers, no?

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    I must have missed the reference to mtn bikers, and what is it that they censored? Either way, leaving vitriol only serves to reinforce their stereotypes of mtn bikers, no?
    a) you couldn't change their perspective of mtn bikers if you removed your jersey and revealed wings

b) they censored any comments in response to the video that contradicted their view - that DCR violated them by demolishing and then moving this trail.

They do this all the time - in news articles, blog posts, etc. I want them to know that censorship simply doesn't work on the internet.

And this trail HAD TO be moved. Yes, it was fun in both directions. It was also a design disaster. If you want 12 ft. wide, straight down the fall-line, rocky tech, go to Highland where there's a paid staff, machines, and chairlifts to maintain the trails and no one freaking out because they didn't expect to see you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I agree with not falling to their level.

Out of curiousity, I clicked over to the FoF site to see if they had this on there. Oh. my. god.
    News: Current

For the first time since creation of the Middlesex Fells Reservation, its managing agency is destroying historic trails that for nearly a century have served to protect nature and enhance visitor experiences. This destruction follows a new policy of unbridled expansion of mountain bike use throughout the Reservation.
    Mountain bike riders cannot negotiate rock steps, so DCR is destroying them on the Reservoir Trail. This is the second section of rock steps demolished by DCR to render the Reservoir Trail convenient for bikers.
    DCR is also bypassing other sections of the Trail by cutting new bike-friendly routes through new sections of the Fells, disturbing habitats and landscapes.

Separating fact from fiction

DCR states that it is dismantling or rerouting Fells trail sections because they follow steep fall lines or encroach wetlands. This assertion conveniently ignores the nature of Fells topography. All of the Reservation's trails include fall line and wetland sections. These sections are an attractive feature of the trails, adding greatly to their interest as one enjoys the invigorating experience of steepness and appreciates the variety of landscape features and vegetation.
    The professionally preferred trail management solution for resource protection is trail remediation, not trail destruction and rerouting! The gold standard for strengthening fall line trails is building rock steps, which the Appalachian Mountain Club promotes as ‘highly effective stabilizers’ for erosion control.
    There can be no reason for DCR destroying the Reservoir Trail rock steps other than to accommodate the demands of bikers.
    In parklands throughout the nation professional trail managers create trail solutions to enhance wetland protection. Baxter State Park abounds in bog bridges; the AVIS lands in Andover provide hundreds of yards of bog bridges and boardwalks.
    DCR has announced that it will no longer sanction application of bog bridges on trails in the Fells Reservation. The reason? Bikers can’t navigate bog bridges. The hidden agenda? To facilitate the conversion of even more Fells trails to bike usage
    These people are truly crazy. I don't mean that in jest. Crazy. Like the kind of people that poison the office coffee because "their" parking spot was taken.

Let's set up a nice log skinny contest and see if those people in the video can walk across it.

StartBiking!
    Jun 2006
    I do not advocate putting **** in the comments. It just pours gasoline on the fire.

If we want to shut these people up we need to do 5 things:
    1. Join and support your local NEMBA chapter. A individual membership is only $35.00 per year.
    2. Get out to a trail day and help build sustainable trails. NEMBA and DCR need our help.
    3. Report issues on the trails. Anything from confrontations to obstacles placed in the trails.
    4. Be respectful. If someone gives you **** on the trails, smile at them and continue on. Don't go down to their level. It will be hard, but you should be satisfied that they are now more pissed that they didn't rattle you.
    5. Get out and ride!
    -jk
    startbiking - get out and ride!

guru meditation
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Let's set up a nice log skinny contest and see if those people in the video can walk across it.
    Loled

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    I do not advocate putting **** in the comments. It just pours gasoline on the fire.

If we want to shut these people up we need to do 5 things:
    1. Join and support your local NEMBA chapter. A individual membership is only $35.00 per year.
    2. Get out to a trail day and help build sustainable trails. NEMBA and DCR need our help.
    3. Report issues on the trails. Anything from confrontations to obstacles placed in the trails.
    4. Be respectful. If someone gives you **** on the trails, smile at them and continue on. Don't go down to their level. It will be hard, but you should be satisfied that they are now more pissed that they didn't rattle you.
    5. Get out and ride!
    +1 on all points. Or should I just "rep" you?

Dissolved member
    Would it make sense to create a video where someone would walk the re-routed trails with DCR and discuss how it improved the situation of the wetlands and also discuss future possible impacts of additional changes etc? Kind of a counter-argument just to get the wind off those arseh0l3z' sails.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So I don't know anything about trail sustainability or, but what is it about the new trail that is more sustainable or require less maintenance than the previous trail? The north side of the old trail was really eroded and there were clear signs that the trail was expanding, but couldn't work have been done to keep it narrow rather than building a new trail? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by biggrumble View Post
    Funny that they blame the mountain bikers for the trail reroute. I was really disappointed they took out those stone steps on the Orange Trail...they were a lot of fun to slam down, and they gave a nice ego boost when I cleared them going up. The new trail section is nice, but doesn't have the same brutal character the old trail did.
    Its too bad mountain bikers cant negotiate rock stairs according to the FOF...because I sure had fun riding those stairs too
    rise above

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by auntesther View Post
    Its too bad mountain bikers cant negotiate rock stairs according to the FOF...because I sure had fun riding those stairs too
    this

Dissolved member
    I am happy that Orange is legal now and I would like it to stay that way even if we lost some rock stairs. Keep it mind this is about politics, do not give FOF additional ammunition against us.

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by biggrumble View Post
    So I don't know anything about trail sustainability or, but what is it about the new trail that is more sustainable or require less maintenance than the previous trail? The north side of the old trail was really eroded and there were clear signs that the trail was expanding, but couldn't work have been done to keep it narrow rather than building a new trail? Thanks!
    Nope. a) trail was built in the wrong spot (wetlands buffer zone) and b) it ran straight down the fall line.

When water goes down, rather than across the trail, it doesn't flow in sheets, it flows in a faster moving stream. This erodes the trail much faster. The consequence is either live with a 12 foot wide trail and a big ugly rooty basin at the base of the trail, or go back and rebuild the trail every year...maybe even 2x a year.

There's just too much trail and too few volunteers to have high maintenance trails.

mtbr member
    Nice, bikers don't need to say anything. Let the Friends of the Fells fight it out with DCR, it'll show how bitter and petty the FOF are.

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    They're such morons; in this day and age of nature under attack, they choose to focus their efforts on another conservation-centric user group (us).