Thread: help please

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

New question here. help please

OK, i really need help on a little dilemma ive got on which hardtail bike to buy. ive got about 1100 dollars to spend and was wondering which was a better bike, the specialized rockhopper pro disc, or the cannondale f600. i would be riding the bike down mountains but my main desire is to go fast. Help would be ,uch appreciated, thx alot.
    O, and by the way, im also open to any other kind of hardtail in that price range. Although the only dealers around where i live are specialized, cannondale and trek.
    Also, im 6' 3'' and slightly about 190ish pounds and i was wodering what size i should get

thx much

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    If you are looking to go down mountains a hard tail may not be your best bet. There are some full suspension bikes within range $$$ I can't say much about them as I haven't ridden them. ( Supergo sells Ironhorse) Where abouts in Ma are you? There are a-lot of good shops around that can help you out. For a few more dollars ($200) you can get a decent full suspension , might be better to save up a little longer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I don't know if this is to obvious to say but another road to consider is a used titanium HT from the classified or ebay. a month ago i got a great used Dean titianium colonel HT that is in great shape on ebay for $600 including shipping. of course the components are somewhat dated but good quality - 1998 full XTR group - and the shock is a Judy SL. so i just got a nearly new Fox F80RLT also on ebay for $300 - so basically you could have a setup that i think is much higher quality with better ride quality than a new cannondale or spec for less than $1000 if you're willing do do a little hunting. i rode a klein rascal for years that was a great bike but that aluminum frame would slowly beat you to submission after a few hours, esp. around here where the trails are rather rocky. my hands would be prettty much numb after an hour or so of trail riding. the ride of the titanium is much nicer, nearly as stiff, and you can really plow through rough stuff that would have felt like a bucking bronco on that stiff klein. and the setup only weighs a little over 23 lbs. i weigh 190 lb. for reference. just my 2 cents. but it does seem the depreciation on mtbike gear is very high and a 3 or 4 year old bike can be had for a fraction of it's cost new - my dean was nearly $3000 new so for a 7 year old bike that's a big drop off.