MBN
    mtbr member

Harold Parker State Forrest

I just want to say Thank You to whoever is building the new trails at HP! They are fun! I assume it is NEMBA. Also, there are a couple of trees that have fallen across the path at several points along the way. One of which requires you to dismount, and go under the damn thing! I would like to do my part by heading out there with a chainsaw, and clearing the path. What is the protocall for this kind of thing? I guess I could just go out there and do it, but I'm sure I would be breaking all kinds of rules. Thoughts?

Thanks for the trails!

M.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would suggest a collapsible bow saw or a folding pruning saw. Home Depot sells a 10" folding pruning saw for $15. I've cut logs up to about 12"-14" in diameter with one. It takes about 20 min or so but makes the trail that much more enjoyable when you don't have to get off of your bike.

MBN
    mtbr member
    JT,

These trees are too big for that I think. In fact, I was even wondering if my chainsaw would be enough.

Thanks for the input though.

M.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MBN
    JT,

These trees are too big for that I think. In fact, I was even wondering if my chainsaw would be enough.

Thanks for the input though.

M.
    D are we riding on Sat?..............................CF.

MBN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    D are we riding on Sat?..............................CF.

Fred,

I will know more tomorrow. Are you good to go on either day?

D.

over my head
    Riding with Fred and chainsaws? I'm going to need a ride report!
    If a little is good...a lot must be great!- B.J. McVane
    '08 Highline;'06(?) 5-Pack;'04 Specialized Enduro; '94 GF Tassajara

mtbr member

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

Quote Originally Posted by bullymadison
    Riding with Fred and chainsaws? I'm going to need a ride report!
    Thank you BM that was very very funny and I REALLY needed that after the day I've had... That was F-N funny....MBN I was hoping for HP on Sat. as I've got plans to ride either School ST. with BTF on Sunday, or with Sweed @ Lynn Woods on Sun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MBN
    I just want to say Thank You to whoever is building the new trails at HP! They are fun! I assume it is NEMBA. Also, there are a couple of trees that have fallen across the path at several points along the way. One of which requires you to dismount, and go under the damn thing! I would like to do my part by heading out there with a chainsaw, and clearing the path. What is the protocall for this kind of thing? I guess I could just go out there and do it, but I'm sure I would be breaking all kinds of rules. Thoughts?

Thanks for the trails!

M.
    Those trails are sweet. I rode there on Thursday and had a killer day. Hit the west side, looped over to the Gun Club trails, hit up the east side on a loop back to the west. Very fun. Saw Joe out there cutting up downed trees. He's done a lot of the work out there - we talked for a while. Good guy. Also noticed that "The Rock" was gone again. What's the deal with that spot?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    MBN

Where was this deadfall? If it was on the first singletrack heading out toward unabomber, tin shacks, etc. from the Jenkins lot, that one is all set. Rode around Thursday and didn't see any downed trees that required a dismount.

MBN
    mtbr member

The tree is gone..........

.........I dont know who moved the rockpile after the tree. That must have been a PIA. I think it is better without it. Now you can pass through with ease, or you can go over the rockpike on the side of the trail if you want a challange. I have yet to make that with my hardtail.

Ramshackle............The trails I am talking about are on the other side of the park. You can get there by parking in Jenkins lot, and then going up the hill and eventually across the street to the other side. I reccomend parking in the lot just past the State Police barracks, and then heading up the hill from there. Lots of great new stuff!

M.

mtbr member

New Trails...

Are you talking about the trails near the bouldering rock? Some of those look like they ahve been redone recently(especially the "go-around" where you used to have to dismount to get tothe bouldering rock.) There's a couple more in that area. Are there other new ones I am missing? Thanks

MBN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecibis
    Are you talking about the trails near the bouldering rock? Some of those look like they ahve been redone recently(especially the "go-around" where you used to have to dismount to get tothe bouldering rock.) There's a couple more in that area. Are there other new ones I am missing? Thanks
    EC,

I am not sure where/what the bouldering rock is.

Do you know where the racoon skeleton is that is hanging on a tree branch? There is a fork in the trail at that point. Go left there, and you are in the new network.

M.

mtbr member

Shoot, don't know where the skeleton is

Are the new trails are on the same side as the Jenkins lot or are they on the west side? I am not sure which hill you were referring to when you said to go from Jenkins or the barracks....Thanks

MBN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecibis
    Are the new trails are on the same side as the Jenkins lot or are they on the west side? I am not sure which hill you were referring to when you said to go from Jenkins or the barracks....Thanks
    EC,

The trails I am talking about are on the West side. Do you know where the downed tree is/was? You had to crawl under it. It was removed this weekend, but you can clearly see that it was just moved. Does that ring a bell? A few hundred yards before the tree that fell, there are two trees that are on either side of the trail. These trees are so close together, that you cant fit your handlebars through. I always have to unclip, and angle my bars through. You can see scrapes on the trees where people tried to squeeze through. Do you know where that is? If so, I can guide you from there.

If not, I ride HP 2 to 3 times per week if you want to hook up.

M.

mtbr member

Yep, I know where both those are....

yes, I know those spots . Where is the fork compared to the two trees close together if youa re coming from the stream with the cement dam? Thanks for the help, Ed

mtbr member
    Stayed at HP over the weened and got to ride the trails on Friday for a few hours. Rode in the area of the racoon skeleton, glad to know what that was. Awesome trials you guys have up there. The place is very underrated especially with the ride in and out of campground trials. Maybe ride in/out is more common up by you but hard to come buy in North NJ. I heard bad things about the campgrounds going there but i found the place to pretty nice with large sites.

Would have taken some photos of the trails but the mosquittos were absolutely relentless. Are they always that bad there?

MBN
    mtbr member
    Id,

The skeeters are not normally this bad. All the rain has made it a problem.

Ed,

OK, lets take it from the "narrow trees". Go thru there, and about 3 or 4 hundred yards up, you will pass by the newly cleared downed tree. Just past that, you will come to a stream that is running down hill. Cross the stream, and hit up the new trails on the other side. You cant miss em. A short way down the new trail, you will come to a fork. Go right. From there, just stay on the single track. Eventually, you will be spit out onto some double track. Go right, and climb the hill, and take the first right you see. This is all new stuff too. It will work its way up a hill. When you get to the top, you will probably recognize where you are. You will see the Racoon skeleton on the tree to your right. I did the reverse of this route recently, and like it better, as there is much less climbing.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you like it.

M.

mtbr member

Thanks! I know what youa re talking about now...

I crossed over the stream there the other day because it looked like a new section, but I remembered an overgrown route a couple years ago that wasn't much fun. Glad to hear there is a new section now. I didn't make it to the fork and decided to just go the "normal" route. Awesome, thanks for the tip, I'll try it next time.

mtbr member

Love the new trail!

Lots of fun, and longer than what I thought. I agree, probably better from the racoon side. Need to try that next time. Man, I feel so lucky to have HP close by. I need to step up with some trail maintenance

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Do check into nsnemba.org from time to time. Nothing scheduled for the fall as yet but some trail maintenance projects may be added. There are also some detailed maps available there. Even the DCR map has been updated - check it out - some of the stuff across the stream coming into Delano Pond is on there. http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/trails...ldParker07.pdf

If I can make a suggestion, there is a lot more to HP than the area along 125. Start at different locations - check out the stuff north of the sportsman's club, behind Sudden Pond, Salem Pond loop etc. The more the trail use is spread out, the less beat down the ST will get, the less maintenance will be needed. Also, check out Ward Reservation just up from HP, worth a visit, TM project likely there this fall.