Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Harold Parker, Russell Mill, or LLF rideable?

Was toying on heading out tomorrow AM.

I read that Beverly was OK. Any info on HPSF, RM, or LLF?

I am thinking of going to one of them anyway. I was just hoping for a little intel.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: Harold Parker, Russell Mill, or LLF rideable?

I rode Lowell State Forest today and it was definitely rideable. It was about an inch or two over ice but the ice was seemingly once slush and well trodden, so it was plenty rough and grip was fine. I'd bet that RM would be similar since it's so close.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Great! Thanks!

I think I will give RM a go. Will post conditions ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    OK. Went to Russell Mill this AM ... Got on the trails around 8:30 ...

The trails were pretty good. We had good traction. Towards the end of the ride, it got a little warmer (above freezing) and the snow start getting soft. That made riding a bit more challenging, spun the tires a bit more without moving much.

Rode nice easy gears in the granny range and let some air out of the tires to "float" a bit more.

Good time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    right now LLF is all bikes ride anywhere trail or no trail, no one sinks too deep

however, trail proper is icy,so studs required on actual trails. but no studs
    can ride along side, or any direction

tested last night on 1.95 nokians. ride anywhere

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I was considering going for a ride on Sunday after the warm temps this weekend. Anyone been on any Boston area trails in last couple days - Cutler Park or maybe Wompatuck?
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    HP, RM, LLQ... if the rain & warm temps melt the remaining snow & ice then we will probably be dealing with thawing mud which should be avoided. Not sure about Cutler / Wompy, but may also have a thawing mud situation.

Hooligan
    RM is totally ridable. big group going out at 5:30, bring studs!
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Buy used, be happy with what you got, ride more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Yea, good with studs tonight, heading over myself. Sunday is a different story.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Anyone ride LLF this weekend? Was thinking of checking it out on my lunch break today (work in Burlington). If wet, how's the drainage? I don't want to damage the trail riding through muddy conditions (nor get overly muddy since I have to get back to work).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cmags View Post
    Anyone ride LLF this weekend? Was thinking of checking it out on my lunch break today (work in Burlington). If wet, how's the drainage? I don't want to damage the trail riding through muddy conditions (nor get overly muddy since I have to get back to work).
    I haven't been to LLF...but rode Russel Mills this morning while it was still frozen on a studded fatbike.
    Expect to find lots of glare ice, styrofoam snow and some bare ground ( that may be mud by noon)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yup, LLF was sloppy. Lots of soft muddy spots, and other parts with very slick ice with an inch of standing water on them. Lost the front wheel once and slid on my hands and knees across very wet ice. But I can tell that when it dries out it will be a blast to rip around. 10/10 will ride again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    LLF is usually slow to dry out in the spring. Where do you work in Burlington? I used to work on 2nd ave and ride there almost daily. I'm now in Bedford and ride there often in the morning and an occasional lunch ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Im over on Wall St near Papa Razzi. Was like 12 mins to the power line parking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    if only
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 01-16-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Made to Shred

Harold Parker?

Anyone have a conditions report for Harold Parker as of April 1, 2014? Thanks ahead of time.
    Kristofer Henry - 44 BIKES - Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com - 44 Flickr - 44 Facebook

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mud , Ice and 4 " of rain this week. Pedal pave during mud season.

Made to Shred
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Mud , Ice and 4 " of rain this week. Pedal pave during mud season.
    Is this in reply to my Harold Parker question? Just want to be sure. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    all woods basically are still compromised. frozen ground with mud. cool kids won't be riding greater boston to 495 for 1 or 2 more weeks at least. april 15th is a standard date marker for Massachusetts trails and this year it is pretty accurate

Made to Shred
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    all woods basically are still compromised. frozen ground with mud. cool kids won't be riding greater boston to 495 for 1 or 2 more weeks at least. april 15th is a standard date marker for Massachusetts trails and this year it is pretty accurate
    Thanks for the heads up. Just asking as I was there last year on April 7th and things were really dry and ready to go. It's been a hard winter but I can still wait for an early bird ride points south...

CP

NEMBA PSA - you canz save the kittehs (and more importantly the trails!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think we're all dying to get out there. I drive by Willowdale regularly, and my car just wants to turn in there. Sadly, we all need to wait a little while longer for a dry out.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i have lost respect for who ever made this video and thought of incorporating animals into it. everytime i see this video it makes me not want to donate... it was on nembas facebook page and i think it has upset people. my fiance would prolly punch someone in the mouth if she saw this video as she is a huge animal person. not looking to start any rants one way or the other. just thought i would throw it out there. trails need time. ok. but people are out there on regular bikes and fat bikes tearing muddy parts of the trails up. regardless of what people write on here. applause to the people that are patient.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I walked some of west side at HP this morning. Trails are looking good but there were just a few spots with thawing mud & ice still, I'd say give it just a little more time. Today's weather probably helped a lot, I may check it out again tomorrow morning. Not sure about east side or gun club. By the way, RM & LDT should be avoided still, not sure about LLQ.

Yea, there are always a few riders that don't wait and damage the trails. I walked RM on Monday and there was some damage from bikers riding last Saturday. However, it seems like the vast majority of riders get the message and stay off the trails while thawing out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by shreddin22 View Post
    i have lost respect for who ever made this video and thought of incorporating animals into it. everytime i see this video it makes me not want to donate... it was on nembas facebook page and i think it has upset people. my fiance would prolly punch someone in the mouth if she saw this video as she is a huge animal person. not looking to start any rants one way or the other. just thought i would throw it out there. trails need time. ok. but people are out there on regular bikes and fat bikes tearing muddy parts of the trails up. regardless of what people write on here. applause to the people that are patient.
    ^apparently you missed the fact this is a twist on a old meme spawned from Georgetown University years ago....http://tinyurl.com/5g3z5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast