mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Harold Parker first timer...

I was thinking about checking out HP tomorrow sometime after work since the weather is supposed to be nice and I've never been. Has anyone ridden there lately that can report on the conditions?

I looked at the map but it seems a little unclear. Where do people typically park and start off? I'm just looking to explore the area so can anyone offer a good suggestion for a loop that offers a decent variety of terrain?

Is there anything else I should know or be aware of?

MC MasterShake
    The conditions are great at HP. Any water from the recent rain should be all dried up by tomorrow.

HP can be tricky for newcomers as the trails are not marked and the good trails are kind of randomly interspersed between fireroads. Ideally you could get in on a group ride or get someone to give you a tour, but since this rarely has worked out for me I'll see if I can help.

Park at the Jenkin's lot off of Jenkin's road. This is kind of the center of the good stuff. You can think of HP as broken into East, West, and North. There's good stuff in all the sections and unless you have a ton of time you'll probably only want to explore one section at a time.

To get to the East trails go across the open field towards the fireroad and take the first bit of singletrack on your right. If you look at the map online your goal is to get to Salem Pond. There's a ton of singletrack interspersed by fireroads here so you'll have to play around to figure it all out.

To get to the West trails go on the trail that is in the opposite direction of the field. It will climb up a hill and eventually you will see a trail on your left which should be marked with one of those BCT markers. Follow this trail and try and find your way to a trail that crosses Jenkin's Rd. This trail will get you into the West section. This is a big section and will take lots of exploring.

The North section is right near the gun club off of Middleton Rd. To get there from the Jenkin's lot take the cement road through the woods. This will eventually put you on Middleton Rd. Take a right and look for a trailhead on your left after the shooting range entrance. This is a long peice of doubletrack that eventually spits you into the singletrack. This section is not as large as the others but it's worth exploring.

If you do want to get together for a ride I'm usually riding their on my lunch break on Tuesday's and Thursday's.

Hope this helps...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thank you for that write-up woodyak. It's certainly appreciated. I don't have a ton of time so I'll probably stick to one area at first. I've just been itching to get out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Not sure which map you've looked at, there are a few at the NS NEMBA site...

http://www.nsnemba.org/Trails.htm

Part of the East side loop has yellow blazes. The blazes take you out to and around Salem Pond.

There should be multiple group rides going out from the Jenkins lot tomorrow night. NS NEMBA has an intermediate xc group that meets at 4:45, ride starts at 5. We don't ride fast, but you should have the ability to keep up on the boney trails that HP typically offers up.

- Kirk

MTBR Member
    Apr 2008

Try this map.

HP was definitely confusing for me as a first-timer. Heck, some sections still confuse me. I've found using the Wicked Ride of The East map to help tremendously. Here is a link to it (pdf format)... MAP.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for those links guys. I was initially using the DCR map which shows all of the surrounding roads but not really much of the trails.

I'll bring that Wicked Ride map that since it gives a better idea of the trail layout. I'm pretty much just looking to explore it anyways so as long as I don't get too lost I should be good.

Kirk - I'll keep an eye out for any groups gathering but my work schedule is a little unpredictable so I'm not sure what time I'd be able to get up there. Thanks for the heads up though. Sounds like a good option in the future.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    The conditions are great at HP. Any water from the recent rain should be all dried up by tomorrow.

HP can be tricky for newcomers as the trails are not marked and the good trails are kind of randomly interspersed between fireroads. Ideally you could get in on a group ride or get someone to give you a tour, but since this rarely has worked out for me I'll see if I can help.

Park at the Jenkin's lot off of Jenkin's road. This is kind of the center of the good stuff. You can think of HP as broken into East, West, and North. There's good stuff in all the sections and unless you have a ton of time you'll probably only want to explore one section at a time.

To get to the East trails go across the open field towards the fireroad and take the first bit of singletrack on your right. If you look at the map online your goal is to get to Salem Pond. There's a ton of singletrack interspersed by fireroads here so you'll have to play around to figure it all out.

To get to the West trails go on the trail that is in the opposite direction of the field. It will climb up a hill and eventually you will see a trail on your left which should be marked with one of those BCT markers. Follow this trail and try and find your way to a trail that crosses Jenkin's Rd. This trail will get you into the West section. This is a big section and will take lots of exploring.

The North section is right near the gun club off of Middleton Rd. To get there from the Jenkin's lot take the cement road through the woods. This will eventually put you on Middleton Rd. Take a right and look for a trailhead on your left after the shooting range entrance. This is a long peice of doubletrack that eventually spits you into the singletrack. This section is not as large as the others but it's worth exploring.

If you do want to get together for a ride I'm usually riding their on my lunch break on Tuesday's and Thursday's.

Hope this helps...
    Thanks again for this write-up. It was very helpful once I got there and got oriented. I stuck to your "East" section and got a nice ride in just exploring most of the trails I came across. I'll definitely go back and explore the rest when I have more time.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Use this 2007/8 Wicked Ride map not the older one which is missing some of the newer trails. The NSNEMBA site also has a decent topo and a Google Earth file of the trail network.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I rode HP on Wednesday and it was in pretty good condition. I hit up most of the West side first. It was in pretty good shape, though a few greasy spots here and there on the single track. Nearest the ponds there was some deep water, especially at one of the plank bridges on the double track. The connector from the west to east side was in tough shape nearest the road. After you cross the road and go into the trail (west-east) there is a ton of water. Almost everything before the steep bench cut was unrideable - super deep water. The rest of the east side was pretty good. Again, some puddles and mud in a few spots and a little greasy or soft here and there. After riding HP in the fall and winter when the surface was bone dry and super hard packed, wednesday felt soft a bit slower, but still super fun. That place is awesome. I think today (Friday) will have the best conditions.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by JPSurly
    I rode HP on Wednesday and it was in pretty good condition. I hit up most of the West side first. It was in pretty good shape, though a few greasy spots here and there on the single track. Nearest the ponds there was some deep water, especially at one of the plank bridges on the double track. The connector from the west to east side was in tough shape nearest the road. After you cross the road and go into the trail (west-east) there is a ton of water. Almost everything before the steep bench cut was unrideable - super deep water. The rest of the east side was pretty good. Again, some puddles and mud in a few spots and a little greasy or soft here and there. After riding HP in the fall and winter when the surface was bone dry and super hard packed, wednesday felt soft a bit slower, but still super fun. That place is awesome. I think today (Friday) will have the best conditions.
    Will
    That flooding you talk about is crazy. I was out there one day and it was fine, then the next and it was totally under water.
    Yes we got some rain but not that much, I think the beavers did sometheing sinister.
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    Will
    That flooding you talk about is on the beginning of the Wet Rabbit trail. I was out there one day and it was fine, then the next and it was totally under water.
    Yes we got some rain but not that much, I think the beavers did sometheing sinister.
    I'd rather a wet beaver than a beaver making everything wet. I like the flat rock up against the boulder at the east end of that trail - looked like you had a shot of that in one of your videos recently. It looks gnarly - pretty much straight up - but I think it makes getting up that thing easier.

I would give anything to be on a bike right now instead of in front of my computer.

Black Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by JPSurly
    I'd rather a wet beaver than a beaver making everything wet. I like the flat rock up against the boulder at the east end of that trail - looked like you had a shot of that in one of your videos recently. It looks gnarly - pretty much straight up - but I think it makes getting up that thing easier.

I would give anything to be on a bike right now instead of in front of my computer.
    meet us out there at 4
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    meet us out there at 4
    No can do. Have a good ride though...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The flood on wet rabbit is due in large part to the fact that someone breached a beaver dam upstream where the Quarry Trail as Greg calls it or the BCT (white blaze) crosses a little bridge. When we went through there last night it was a raging river. It was getting close to dark and Mr. Beaver was close by getting ready to repair the damage. WTRBBT may take some time to return to normal.

NSNEMBA will be doing a work day in this vicinity tomorrow 4/11 - full closure of the old route at the pit west of Jenkins and a short boardwalk, then assist Andover Trails Committee with boardwalking the overflow from the beaver impoundment east of Jenkins on the BCT. Meet 8:30 at the normal Jenkins parking area 1/2 mi. south of the trail crossing for car pooling/walk to site (very limited parking at the site). More details - nsnemba.org or trailwork@nsnemba.org. Also, another work day at HP 4/25.