mtbr member

Halloween weekend gathering (Western MA)

[I'm posting this for a friend, and am happy to answer questions]

WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS HALLOWEEN WEEKEND GATHERING

Please join the old Hawley crew for a Halloween camp-out the weekend of the 30th & 31st. THREE RIDES scheduled: If you haven't ridden Hawley you are in for a treat!

Sat 10am Ride
    Meet at Gould meadow. Maybe we'll split into two rides,a faster paced one and slower paced one.

Sat. 1:00 New England Mt. Biking Assoc. meeting
    Gould meadow shelter. Bring your brown bag lunch. This is for anyone interested in being involved in a Berkshire chapter of NEMBA or would just like to find out what is going on.

Sat 3:00pm Ride
    Meet at Gould meadow. Ride 'til haunting dusk.

Followed by a campfire and food (bring some)

Sun 10am Ride
    Meet at Gould Meadow.

Come for one ride or come for the weekend. Campfire and Chili on Sat night (bring food to share or something to go with chili). Beer provided by BBC on Saturday night after a Haunted Dusk Ride. The camp out and rides will be at the Gould Meadow Shelter at Hawley State Forest. The shelter is a wooden lean-too in a big field, plenty of room for camping.

A NEMBA presence will be available to get our Berkshire Chapter in order with Heather Linscott spearheading the effort. Many people have expressed interest in the cause but we really need to tie this together. PLEASE join us even just for Saturday afternoon (1:00) to get this rolling. Bring what you need to camp out in the cold.

Directions
    The best way to get to the Gould Meadown Shelter is follow rt 116 through Plainfield, to rt 8A north, which will be a right, or left (depending on which way you are coming) just before a small store. Follow 8A to Hallockville Rd. I will try to have signs or markers out on the road. The road in is pretty rough, so bring a vehicle with some clearance
    -- Hallockville Rd. is one mile exactly down 8A from Rte 116. The gate is right across from Hallockville Pond, which is the Americore Headquarters and is "state park brown" buildings clustered in front of a pond.
    -- There are two splits on Hallockville Rd before reaching the shelter. At .8 mile is a left for King Corner Rd, don't turn there. At 1.7 miles is the left for Moody Spring, don't turn there either. Go another 1/4 mile to a left just barely after the top of a rise.
    -- The road past the cemetery is basically un-driveable unless you have 4wd and a very high center vehicle.
    -- Coming down Hells Kitchen Rd. from Plainfield is a possibility, but Hallockville Rd. from 8A is the best way in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    SHFLK:JHAUI!! !! I always read about these Berkshire rides after the fact! The Berkshires is my favorite place to ride and always looking for more. I missed the MT Greylock ride. I've been watching your Yahoo group page. I live on Cape Cod.