mtbr member

Great Brook/ Thanksgiving Woods/ Russell Mill.....today 9/15...

Checked them out today at the NEMBA event ...Kona Series.....really nicely put together ride that linked all 3 areas .....did the 22 mile Intermediate Ride .....super mix of edge of field to tech rock spots and serpentine flow trails. Ride leader and sweeper(Lionel) did a great job, thanks. Conditions and weather were perfect. Joined NEMBA too! Will be back for more rides. Took a few pics in parking area, anybody else have a few pics feel free to post them up. Ride On!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Great Brook/ Thanksgiving Woods/ Russell Mill.....today 9/15...-image.jpg  

Great Brook/ Thanksgiving Woods/ Russell Mill.....today 9/15...-image.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Attending the event as well. Due to time restrictions I had I did the short intermediate loop (13 miles). Had a lot of fun and the weather was perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Russell Mills is great, but I've never figured out how to get to Great Brook without some road riding (not that its so bad, but it would be nice to stay in the woods). Did the NEMBA ride manage to do this, or did you road ride from RM to GB?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Jeff, nice to see you haven't given up taking pics for the rest of us back here in PA to enjoy. Enjoy your new riding area experiences.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    The route included some roads. It is impossible to link the 2 with out a little road work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    Jeff, nice to see you haven't given up taking pics for the rest of us back here in PA to enjoy. Enjoy your new riding area experiences.
    yo Yo....yes gotta take a few more action shots...but was worried about getting too far behind the group! Here is a pic from riding in VA. Alexandria.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Great Brook/ Thanksgiving Woods/ Russell Mill.....today 9/15...-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SofaKing Fast View Post
    The route included some roads. It is impossible to link the 2 with out a little road work.
    SofaKing Fast has got it right at least for the NEMBA ride....a couple of short road sessions...still worth linking the parks....Russell Mill seems to be newer or less ridden to me....good stuff....

mtbr santa cruz member
    Nov 2005
    Russell mill is rider built and is one of the most maintained riding areas anywhere. Greatbrook has only a few rider built trails and doing anything there requires many layers of approval and is a complete pain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Pretty cool. Hope you are enjoying the trails up there. Deb and I are heading down to Williamsburg, and are planning on hitting Freedom Park while we are there. Just another place to check out.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I like to ride both RM and Great Brook, fun in their own way. RM has fun tight singletrack, pump track, some tech obstacles, and while it is compact in space you can figure out some decent loops to get some miles in.

I like to ride Great Brook during the week. Far fewer people around and you can just haul around the whole thing. Great Brook has some tech spots too, like the Stone's Row trail. Man, that is challenging, at least to me.

I live about 25 minutes south of both, and I wish I were a bit closer as I'd ride there more.

Last week I finally cleared the entire Keye's loop at Great Brook without a dab. It's not the hardest of trails, but I would always goof on a few little tight spots or on this wall ride. Finally got it.