Thread: Good DH in MA??

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Good DH in MA??

I'm going to be in the MA/VT area at the start of September, and planning to bring bike to get some riding in. Does anyone know where there's some good downhill, preferably lift serviced? I'm looking for something pretty challenging/fast/just plain mint!, I'm no beginner!

I've had a look and found a few things like mt snow, and killington and that, but would like to get some advice from riders who'll say like it really is.

Also any trails (dirt jumps I mean) that are good round about?

Sorry to be so vague on precise area, but it kind've depends where's good riding I guess. I'm flying into Boston though.

Cheers guys
    Last edited by gravitygirl; 07-10-2005 at 08:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Both Mt. Snow and Jiminy Peak in Western MA / Southern VT have some pretty decent stuff. A bit of a haul from Boston, though (2.5 -3 hours driving along Rt 2)

Who are the brain police?
    Attitash (in NH) is another option.. about a 4-hour drive maybe from Boston--
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

not really a noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Techfreak
    Both Mt. Snow and Jiminy Peak in Western MA / Southern VT have some pretty decent stuff. A bit of a haul from Boston, though (2.5 -3 hours driving along Rt 2)
    Jimy Peak is kick ass! thats were i plan on spending most of my time this summer
    [SIZE=1]I HATE WORK, WORK IS BAD, WORK = NO BIKE, NO BIKE = NO GOOD[/SIZE]

Authority is dead!
    Fenway dirt jumps, boston, right in town.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    Attitash (in NH) is another option.. about a 4-hour drive maybe from Boston--
    I live about 45 mins south of boston and attitash isnt 4 hours away. From my house it takes about 2 1/2 hours give or take.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    cool could be good, altho I'll not have my trails bike, but might be good to see, get some photos.

cheers everyone for your suggestions

Who are the brain police?
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker662
    I live about 45 mins south of boston and attitash isnt 4 hours away. From my house it takes about 2 1/2 hours give or take.
    my bad.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    i used to work at jiminy peak around 10 years ago during the summers, schleping the alpine slide sleds and very occasional mtn. bike onto the ski lifts for the spoiled tourists. I also did trail ride very extensively throughout that area and even then jiminy was a lot of fun. if you're willing to schlep yourself up the moutains by pedaling, the taconic crest trail system which runs up and down and through those mountains contains the most technical and best mountain bike riding i've ever done (OK i haven't been out west but the zeitgeist has it that this area is perhaps one of the best in the east, really remote with tons of epic 5 hour rides possible)- i really crave it living in the flattish boston area. do not take rt. 2 (aka the ribbon of death) to the berkshires from boston unless you want a slow scenic ride. take I90 and the appropriate exit to RT. 7 north or whichever combination gets you to rt. 7 N. I have a book containing maps of all the taconic trail systems (and pittsfield st. forest area etc), don't know if those maps are available on the web but anyone who wants them send me a note and i can scan and email them to you.

Shut up and ride
    my experience/opinion

Mount Snow is kinda lame, Jiminy is small/not a ton of trails but still pretty good.....If you really want to ride, make the drive to Plattekill in Roxbury NY......the BEST in the NorthEast for DH (tons of trails and plenty challanging)

http://www.plattekill.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have never been to Plattekill but did race X-country a few times at Hunter Moutain, also in the Catskills. That was a pretty challenging course (the downhill course I remember had some particularly nasty sections) but I don't know what they offer for lift services for bikes during the summer. I do remember Jiminy had a fairly skimpy selection of cut trails on their property but as I mentioned before if you go to the peak, which they did not run the lift to during the summer, you can get on the taconic crest trail system which will lead you to many interesting cross-country rides on some pretty challenging trails, such as in Pittsfield state forest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Cool, cheers for the further comments etc. my b/f is working over your way at the mo, and has just been to jiminy last weekend, he likened it to one of our local tracks so I got a fair idea what that's like now so that's cool. Sounds pretty good, but maybe not the gnarliest.

I'm coming out to meet him early sept but he don't use the interned much, and I figured getting on a forum to pick local's brains wouldn't be a bad idea just so I can get some ideas myself, makes it easier to kinda discuss where to go with him I reckon.

On a related subject, what's the weather generally like at the beginning of September? I'll be there the first week. Also thinking about heading up into Canada for Bromont and/or Mt Ste Anne, so any weather tips for there would be good.

Cheers!

a.k.a. "Z"

weather

Quote Originally Posted by gravitygirl
    On a related subject, what's the weather generally like at the beginning of September? I'll be there the first week. Also thinking about heading up into Canada for Bromont and/or Mt Ste Anne, so any weather tips for there would be good.

Cheers!
    You never know in New England!

Usually it's starting to get a bit cooler (meaning more pleasant compared to August), sometimes sunny, sometimes rain. But it can be 90 degrees and humid or 45 degrees and rainy, take your pick so you have to be prepared for anything.

If you're doing a road trip from Boston I've heard Diablo in NJ is amazing, about 5 1/2 hours south. Closest thing you can get to Whistler type fast and flowy with jumps. Haven't been there yet, though, so this is second hand. Hope to check it out this fall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I had a good time at Jiminy last weekend...fast lift to the top and a good selection of DH trails. They are open weekdays, but use a smaller lift that doesnt take u to the top. Talk to the guy who runs the bike shop to find some of the sickest trails (very cool/helpful guy). The day I was there they were building a DH course which was about half done. Awesome trak with the big banked turns and dirt jumps. Check it out if you go there. Mt Snow is Ok if ur looking to mix DH with some x-country. I see Platttekill ..one of the best around.. (about 1.5 hours south of Albany) was already mentioned and theres West Mountain near GLens Falls NY ( about 1 hour north of Albany) is another option. Around here September weather can be rainy and 50-60 .. or sunny and 75-80. Just depends on ur luck... so, Good Luck!