mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Good bike shops in Cambridge/Boston?

I'm going to be a sophmore transfer student at Boston University in the fall and was wondering what are the good bike shops in the area? I'll be living at the hyatt in cambridge until BU gets me housing closer to campus. I do a lot of free riding and XC type stuff. thanks

mtbr member
    International Bike Center.

Here is the web-site:
    http://internationalbike.com/site/intro.cfm

They may not have everything you need, but this place is close to BU campus. There are other places in the area but they don't come to mind right now.

Diesel
    For Information Regarding The New England Mountain Bike Scene:
    Visit DIESELBIKES.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    back bay bicycles at the corner of commonwealth and massachusetts ave.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Cambridge Bicycles - http://oldroads.com/cb.html - isn't bad. It's a block North of MIT.

There's another bicycle shop on Mass Ave up by Porter Square that I would recommend you DON'T visit is the Bicycle Exchange.

Hairy man
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselbikes
    International Bike Center.

Here is the web-site:
    http://internationalbike.com/site/intro.cfm

They may not have everything you need, but this place is close to BU campus. There are other places in the area but they don't come to mind right now.

Diesel
    I haven't been there in a few years, but I second the recommendation. Their shop mechanics almost all know their stuff (even on odd stuff like recumbants, trikes and tandems), they do little stuff for free without grumbling, and they do have a pretty good selection of stuff. There's a lot of stuff that's not in their showroom that they'll dig out if you talk to somebody about what you're looking for.
    We all get it in the end.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    i worked at a bike shop back home and was thinking about trying to do the same in boston, do you think its worth it? I'll be going to school full time so i wont be able to work much. Best thing about working at a shop was the discounts and stuff.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    anyone got input on wheelworks?
    Just ride.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    wheelworks is a high-brow roadie joint. stick with international.

uh, or something!
    wheelworks is a good shop. Make sure you ask for Evan. He really knows his stuff. The dude is like an encyclopedia when it comes to road and mountain stuff - especially the vintage bikes and components. He also fabs his own frames..nice guy.

curds and gravy fool

careful which wheelworks

Quote Originally Posted by mello211
    wheelworks is a good shop. Make sure you ask for Evan. He really knows his stuff. The dude is like an encyclopedia when it comes to road and mountain stuff - especially the vintage bikes and components. He also fabs his own frames..nice guy.

Ace Wheelworks on Cambridge/ Somerville line = smaller and helpful.

Belmont Wheelworks in Belmont = larger and generally unhelpful or uncaring (unless you are ordering a new Seven). They tend to talk down to customers, assuming they know nothing when they walk in the door, probably because they attract the suburban "hybrid" crowd.

It's hard to believe two shops under the same ownership could be so different.

My favorite shops however are Paramount Bike Repair (http://www.paramountbicycle.com/home.html) in Somerville, and JRA in Medford.
    Sometimes you gotta hold onto the grass to stop from flying off the earth.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Belmont Wheelworks they have santa cruz bikes only place i can think over around here that has them instock. Not sure about internation havent been their. When i was their they seem pretty nice they let me try out one of their bikes without having me sign anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Boston shops

JRA cycles. It just outside boston near the fells in medford. small shop and owner is a nice guy.

Witty Title.

In defense of WW

I have really positive experiences when shopping at both WW, both Belmont, and now in Somerville. Two years ago I bought a LeMond CX from the Belmont office, and everyone was polite and knowledgeable. Huge selection of stuff.

Just this past week I picked up my new C'dale and a Fisher (mtbs) for my fiancÚ at the Somerville branch. Again, despite being a very busy shop at the times I happen to stop by, everyone did their damnedest to help us patiently. I had all sorts of requests on my bike, including many part swaps, and they've accommodated my every request, including some special orders that are still pending.

I'd recommend them to anyone, and they have a serious inventory.

dmo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ATA cycles

they have a shop in cambridge and just opened a new shop in concord. the owner was very nice and they had a decent selection

Designated Bleeder

Jra

I second the vote for JRA. I just built up a new rig and had them press a headset in and do a full drivetrain tuning all for $30!! Not bad. Just to give you an idea, other shops in the area charge $35 just to put a headset in. They were also very quick about it and seemed to do a really nice job.

As for ATA, I have had some problems with them. I went there to get a derailleur hanger when I had my old Giant. They have lots of Giants in stock but not one spare Giant derailleur hanger. All Giant bikes use the same derailleur hanger, how can you not have them in stock?!?! I just decided to order one and it took them two weeks. When I finally went to pick it up they had lost my order and it took them 25 minutes to dig it up and then charge me $25 for the hanger.

The owner of ATA maybe nice but they definitely have some serious customer service problems...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey Check out Goodales Bike Shop. They have stores in Nashua, Hooksett, and Concord.
    Awesome deals, and good service.

Website is: http://goodalesbikeshop.com/index.cfm

mtbr member

Back Bay

o ya, u definately have to go to back bay bicycles. www.backbaybicycles.com . ya anyway its a great shop on the corner of commonwealth and newbury street.its located a couple stairs down on the corner, kinda like a bassement. its great, the pople there are great. BU is like, a couple blocks away, so thats good. they let you demo bikes all the time, and its not bad rising in the park near there. you gotta go there, its great.