Thread: Gilbert Hills?

mtbr member

Gilbert Hills?

I ride Arcadia in RI alot and love it. Great mix of trails in 14,000 acres. Looking for new terrain in SE Mass (i am in providence ri). Can anyone tell me about Gilbert, or other parks in the area that may be similiar to Arcadia?
    Bravo Shot
    Speed Saves
    www.myspace.com/bravoshot

GNR
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

F. Gilbert Hills

Great place to ride. Lots of different options, get the map at the main entrance kiosk and have fun exploring. Singletrack and forest roads mostly, with some sharing with ATV's, but the trails are usually in great shape. More technical and smaller than Arcadia.

Douglas State Forest is more similar to Arcadia in that there is more room to explore, side trails and such. Has some technical stuff and lots of trails that aren't on the map. Both places are fun.

mtbr member
    Douglas sounds interesting. My girlfriend and I do less technical xc with an emphasis on speed and single track. Can you recommend any specific trails? I think we may head up this weekend. Thanks.
    Bravo Shot
    Speed Saves
    www.myspace.com/bravoshot

Just ride.
    Mar 2007
    Douglas is good. I usually ride there with a friend on Fridays after work. There's a few sections of good fast singletrack, but there's also a lot of technical rock sections depending what trails you take.

If you take a look at the map here, there's two places you can park - at the main entrance ($5 fee), or at the trail head on Route 16. We always park at route 16, make a trip down to the lake, take a swim, and then head back to the lot again.

From the lot on 16 you can:
    a) Follow midstate trail south (this is where you'll see the faster singletrack) out of the lot all the way down until it almost intersects with SW Main street. Take the trail on your right just before the road, and follow this loop out to the western edge and back up until you almost hit 16 again. There are a few trails that will lead you back into the center of the park that are not on that map, so bring a map and know where you are. Then there's a trail that runs along 16 that leads back to the lot, it has some technical sections as well and is a really great trail back to the lot. Probably a 6 mile ride.

b) Take midstate trail south all the way down, cross SW Main street staying on midstate til you hit coffeehouse loop, and follow that to a fireroad which leads into the picnic area near the lake. Jump in, it's great
    From there, you can take the Coffeehouse loop trail the other way (to the right looking at the map) until you join back up with the midstate trail and you can then either follow midstate all the way back to the lot for a 9-mile total trip, or follow midstate until you get the trail I mentioned above taking you to the western edge of the park.
    Schmidt trail on the way back up is just a fast fireroad ride all the way out.

There's trails to the north of 16, but nothing you can make a really great loop out of. If you start from the main park entrance, I haven't figured out a good loop other than up and back midstate.

have fun
    Yep.

Just ride.
    Mar 2007
    If it's any use to you, I whipped up a quick topo map of Douglas - here. This is all based off GPS data, so it's pretty accurate.
    Yep.