mtbr member

Georgetown Rowley State Forest

I've read that there is some new singletrack in these woods, but cannot find out more. This place is very conveniently located along my daily commute and i think it would be an ideal after work ride. I am trying to a good after work riding place for someone trying to bounce back from not being very active over the past few years. I tend to find typical riding spots a little to shocking to my system after a day of sitting at a desk or sitting in a car. (Also, i know my way around the close by Willowdale but am looking for something different).

I could not find a thread about GRSF so i thought starting one to share info would be helpful.

So any pointers on where to park and how to find the good stuff?
    How useful is the map the SF map? Link

I plan on going in there after work and exploring i will share my thoughts and info.

mtbr member
    No advise needed for his place. I went to the lot described on the state website and there is singletrack leading out both sides of the lot. I ran a counterclockwise loop from the lot, but i think the trails were more intended for clockwise.

Lots of singletrack in here. Reminded me of my first time at Willowdale that once you put your tire on the singletrack you can link the place together rather mindlessly.

Trails are beginner / intermediate both in technicality and stamina. There aren't many huge hills. The winding singletrack keeps things slow, which may distress some, but it keeps your heart rate up and steady.

I have to say this place was much more substantial than i thought from the little talk on here. There were a few very notable spots. I found the burned out section of the woods to be very interesting. Probably just interesting to ride in a different setting. I was wondering what was the story with that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I ride Gtown 3-4 days a week. Been riding there for the past 12 years. Sounds like you started out from the lot at the end of Pringree Farm Rd. in Georgetown and found the nice singe track loop on the Gtown side of the park. This is a great loop and you are right, not much sustained climbing, but lots of twists and turns and ups and downs. Definately keeps your heart rate up. This track has only been added in the last couple of years. I makes riding there so much better. If you ride there again, you need to cross over the Pingree Farm road bridge and ride the Rowely side. There is some new single track on that side. Fun stuff and bit faster than the Gtown side. If you ride it all you can put together a good 10 mile loop on all single track. FYI - the burned out spot happeded a couple weeks ago. Just a small forest fire. Nature will come back soon.

mtbr member
    How long would you say the Georgetown loop is?

I expected to do a 5 mile ride and didn't eat anything before hand. I bonked pretty hard at one point.

JBH
    mtbr member
    Pretty sure the stuff on the Georgetown side is about 6 miles.