mtbr member

Georgetown Rowley

Appreciate any beta you all might have. Printed some maps, love to explore. Gonna give it a stab on my 40th (thursday) with some time restrictions that will limit my ability to get lost. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Can you park off exit 54 (coming from portsmouth)? How much is there mileage-wise? Should I just hit up Willowdale. thanks!

mtbr member
    Not sure about Georgetown/Rowley but Willowdale is good stuff. You can do the perimeter of the park and do about 12 miles of singletrack.

Go Bruins!
    There is a thread further down this page about Georgetown Rowley Forest. Print out the map and park at Pingree Farm Road and ride singletrack leaving from either side of the parking area. If you ride the white blaze trail it will take you to a bridge that crosses I95 and there is more singletrack on that side if you take a right after you cross and head into the open area 25-30 yards or so. There is some decent riding to be found. Nothing too technical here, but it's a good workout with the ups and downs.
    Get out and ride even when you don't want to because ten minutes into the ride you'll be glad you did.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Appreciate info. I know willowdale well...is GR equivalent?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I ride Gtown 3+ times a week. Been living in Gtown for over 12 years. If you park at the end of Pingree Farm road of off Rt. 97, that is the best place to start. Head down to the second parking area, right before the closed gate. You can pick up the singletrack loop right there. If you stay on the Gtown side you can get 5-6 miles of nice single track. If you cross over to the Rowley side, you can pick up another 4 miles or so of single track. Most of this is fairly new and lots of fun. Terrain is silimar to Willowdale, but not as worn in. I love it. Very twisty with ups and downs. No sustained climbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ah, glad I found this forum now. I saw some green on a map driving home today and tried to find trail. Good ol' Strava showed me segments out there but it looked like people left from the school on Elm, wasn't too keen on randomly parking at an elementary school so I skipped the ride. Glad to know where to park now, look forward to breaking up future drives.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by mcandy View Post
    Thanks guys. Appreciate info. I know willowdale well...is GR equivalent?
    Willowdale and GR are very similar. GR is tad more twisty turny with some excellent flow. It's probably a little shorter than the full Willowdale loop. It's pretty easy to find your way around once you hook into the singletrack. Make sure that you go over I95 and take the 1st right and get that singletrack. It's newer and has some better flow.

You can actually do a megaloop by riding Willowdale and then crossover rt1 and take about 5 miles of roads to get to GR and to the full loop there. Add Bradley Palmer into the mix and your talking around 40 miles of killer trail.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Did this yesterday 20+ riders hit just over 40 miles. It can can actually be done with virtually no road riding just a few road crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    You can actually do a megaloop by riding Willowdale and then crossover rt1 and take about 5 miles of roads to get to GR and to the full loop there. Add Bradley Palmer into the mix and your talking around 40 miles of killer trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Wow, when I got home and checked this out I started seeing more green on the maps. I knew there was riding in Willowdale and Bradley. That sounds like an awesome epic. Any beta is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Here you go iceboxsteve

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Awesome! Thanks NS. Looks like a very fun epic. Season is slowing down though. Whats winter typically like up that way? Or are you guys part of the exodus down here to cape?

mtbr member
    We'll ride till the snow gets too deep, then take a trip or two down to the cape. Also break out the snowboard to mix things up, personally I like the break from biking for a bit and focus on riding the board.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by NSrider View Post
    Did this yesterday 20+ riders hit just over 40 miles. It can can actually be done with virtually no road riding just a few road crossings.
    Yup. I was supposed to be on that ride. Bummed I missed it.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Too bad Woody it was a great time, some trails were a bit slicker than past years but a real great ride anyway. Post ride beer and grub wasn't too bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by woodyak View Post
    Yup. I was supposed to be on that ride. Bummed I missed it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NSrider View Post
    We'll ride till the snow gets too deep, then take a trip or two down to the cape. Also break out the snowboard to mix things up, personally I like the break from biking for a bit and focus on riding the board.
    Agreed, though I'd rather stick to the trails on xc skis, to each their own. I just like to play outside. And variety is good. Sadly the lack of snow on cape may be good for riding but not for much else. Let me know if you make it down this winter, always willing to show folks around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Whats the deal with night riding here? And by night I mean it gets dark by 430/5 so... Are Bradley or Willowdale okay for after dark?

mtbr member
    We ride all three places at night, B.P. is a State Park so technically closes at sunset but as long as you're not parking in BP you shouldn't have a problem. Willowdale and GTR no problem at all. There is a regular Monday group ride that leaves from the Willowdale Meadow area on Ipswich/ Topsfield Road at 5 if you want a group to join.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Awesome! I'm from down on Cape so doubt I'd be able to make any Monday night rides, offer is much appreciated. My girlfriend goes to UNH and I was curious about areas along the drive. Might try GTR tomorrow, asked about lights because I'll probably be passing by later (4/5). No guarantees, just like having the option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Just want to say I had a blast yesterday. Parked at the PFR lot around 5 and had a decent spin. In the dark I missed a few singletrack sections and had to double back but it was pretty easy to follow. Amazing flow and some techy sections here and there. I was on a tight schedule so I skipped the other side of the bridge. Excited to use this as a little loop to break up long drives in the car.