mtbr member
    Jan 2015

gearing for earls/b-street?

I recently built up an old rigid stumpjumper as a singlespeed and I put a 17t cog onto it because I had one handy. 32/17 with 175mm cranks and 26x2.2 tires seemed totally fine at Chicopee and Robinson, but I'm curious what other local single-speeders would recommend for batchelor street and earl's? I figured this would be the only place people would have the best sense of what might work best.

gearing for earls/b-street?-blogger-image-1837654130.jpg

I'm a relatively new rider (1.5 years, ride trails once or twice a week, road much more than that) and my main mountain bike is a hardtail, geared, 29er. I mostly ride at earls and b-street but am very confident that 32/17 is too steep for me to be able to enjoy myself at those trails.

I'm thinking about going 32/20. What say you, local interneters?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would not ride that bike at B street ever, unless you are really strong, skilled, and have some sort of masochistic urge to beat the crap out of yourself. I ride a 6" 29er there and it is really fun and the only hardtail I would ride there has 5" tires and a suspension fork.

Also keep in mind that riding a skinny tired bike will ruin any packed snow singletrack made by snowshoers/fatbikers unless it is really cold and packed down. If you plan on riding dirt, have at it. Most trails are either really icy or dirt right now but that could change like the weather does in New England.

Either way good luck and have fun!

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Yeah I should have specified that I don't ride in snow on either bike - I'm fair-weather in that regard, but don't mind the cold. I don't want to rut things up.

I ride my hard tail at b-street and earls and have a blast 100mm travel. I don't intend on riding it that much there but I definitely want to try it out. I'm trying to figure out gearing that will make me not be spinning like a maniac at chicopee and robinson, but also not be walking up glenna bell and the tinkers at earls. might not be possible but hoping for perspective from someone with a somewhat similar bike! I know you're out there!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry I am no help when it comes to riding SS. I know it will be easier to pull the 26er compared to the 29er if you had the same gear ratio due to the smaller wheels. I don't know anyone who does SS and 26" wheels or I would ask them what they are running for you.

If you don't get any replies, I would bring some extra cogs, possibly 2 extremes, and switch them out during the ride. It takes time but you will know what is best for you after one ride, and if neither worked well go with something in-between.

-Nolan