mtbr member

Good job! Freetown's Good to Go!

To all you riders stuck with snowy, half frozen trails, the trails in Freetown State Forest are clear and rideable. The perennially wet spots are wet, but they'll be that way until late July.

And to make matters better, we just arrowed the course of the upcoming Pukwudgie Time Trial.
    https://www.facebook.com/Freetown50

So there is a 6.7 mile arrowed course starting at the ranger station on Slab Bridge Rd. The start of the course is between the wading pool and the rangers cabin. Just look for the orange arrows. It's a 90% singletrack course that hits most of the best trails in that part of the park.

I've got to give a shout out to the race promoters too. There have been regular maintenance rides so the place is in great shape. Think about coming down to race on April 6. The proceeds are getting pumped back into trailwork and some new bridges. There's also a link to the garmin file for the loop at this link.
    https://www.bikereg.com/pukwudgie-mtb-tt
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Do you think the orange loop area marked in post #138 from your main Freetown/Bio-reserve thread may also be in good shape? We might head down this weekend, but would be looking for more like a 11-12 mile loop.

SE Mass Bioreserve / Freetown SF

mtbr member
    That loop should be in pretty good shape too. There may be a few blowdowns, but almost all those trails were cleared in January. One spot that is in tough shape is the trail connecting the Copicut Hill trail with Tower Road (at CH4). The trails to the east of the Yellow Hill Rd are all fire road anyways so I would recommend riding back down the hill from CH4 to CH3 then take a right out to CH9, then take a left to get back on the Orange Loop.

Also, those trails marked "alternate loop" have not been maintained. They are gonna be in real tough shape.

If you're gonna ride that loop the best parking is at the corner of Copicut Rd and High St/Bell Rock Rd. Then ride up Copicut Rd to the Hunters lot. You CAN drive up to the Hunters lot but you're probably gonna want a 4x4, the last quarter mile is no joke. Or you can just drive up until the pavement ends and park there.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Another option would be to drive all the way down to the Copicut Woods lot and ride from there.

Here's the link to that map, in case anyone else wants to find it easy.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap...e_one_tile.kmz
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Please stay off of the trails and avoid pre-riding today and tomorrow. Riding wet trails destroys them and jeopardizes our future access to them. Think beyond your training ride and don't hurt the dirt!
    From the Freetown 50 facebook page.

CP
    Quote Originally Posted by thefool808 View Post
    From the Freetown 50 facebook page.
    It was raining today, my guess is that's the reason for that particular message...

I believe the "Freetown is good to go" comment is a general statement regarding trail conditions - rainy weather notwithstanding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.P. View Post
    It was raining today, my guess is that's the reason for that particular message...

I believe the "Freetown is good to go" comment is a general statement regarding trail conditions - rainy weather notwithstanding.
    Yes, this is it exactly. We did get a bunch of rain last night so the trails are wet again. That's why the Facebook page says today and tomorrow. The trails do tend to dry out pretty quickly, but the best bet is to check the F50 page for updates.

Sorry about the confusion, I meant the trails are ready to ride, weather conditions permitting.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member

Trail conditions update

Rode today and the TT loop is 95% good. We got 0 rain. The fire roads are still in really tough shape, but the trails are great.

There is one area right at the start of the TT course where there are a few bridges. Well the bridges aren't long enough and there are mud pits before and after them. Its just a couple of spots in the first half mile but its a popular hiking trail and not part of the moto loop, so please consider getting off your bike and walking around them. After you get by those spots its almost 100% dry so there's plenty of payback. Thanks.

This was shot this past Wednesday.
    http://dirtwire.tv/2014/03/pukwudgie-mtb-tt-preview/

....And yes, those are the mud pits we're riding through.... but I did walk today and smushed down and flattened out a bunch of tracks...
    NEMBA Freetown VP