Thread: Freetown 50

mtbr member

Freetown 50

I've just found out that there's going to be a race in Freetown State Forest this September. The Freetown 50. It'll be held on September 15 and registration starts August 15.

Freetown 50

It's a 25 mile course with a mix of technical singletrack, dirt roads, and a bit of pavement. There are 3 different ways to register. You can race the full 50 miles solo, or do a 2 person relay with each racing 1 lap, or opt for a 1 lap 25 mile race.

I've ridden the course and its a lot of fun. They've selected some of the best singletracks out there and connected them with fire roads. The singletracks are technical and beat you down, so the fire road sections are welcome.

mtbr member
    Bump

Registration starts tomorrow.

https://www.bikereg.com/Net/20302
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    There's a pre-ride planned for this sunday.

https://www.facebook.com/events/139225549621721/

mtbr member
    I'm also planning a trail work ride for Saturday August 31. I know its Labor Day weekend, but its the best time I've got free. I think Spark Bike will be out there that day as well, and possibly the day after too.

I'll plan on Saturday morning at 9. Location to be decided once we plan out how we want to tackle this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Jay, Count me in for the 31st. Just let me know where.

mtbr member
    OK, after getting in touch with Mike from Spark we decided on 8 O'clock saturday morning. I'm not completely sure where yet. I'm guessing we'll meet up and break into teams to cover more ground.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey, really hoping to do this race, my goal being finishing (hopefully in under 7 hours, but....). Based on the course, do you think I'd be happier on my 6-inch travel bike or on my rigid geared 29er?

mtbr member
    I would be leary of riding a rigid bike. That being said, I'm going to ride my fatbike, which is rigid. My suspension bike is broken and my new frame hasn't come in yet. The fat tires add quite a bit of plushness, and many of the fire road sections are loose and sandy. I rode the course last weekend on the fattie, and it handled it fine. I actually felt better at the end than I did riding my suspension bike. Times were comparable at just about 3:15.

I did ride my rigid 29er SS out there the other day and I can honestly say I wouldn't even attempt to ride the full 50 on it. Too much technical stuff and it wasn't even fun on the fire roads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Freetown 50

Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    I did ride my rigid 29er SS out there the other day and I can honestly say I wouldn't even attempt to ride the full 50 on it. Too much technical stuff and it wasn't even fun on the fire roads.
    What ss gear did you ride?
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    I rode the course today and its in mostly good shape.

The only section that still needs work is where it crosses Copicut Road at BR18. From BR18-16-22-to Bell Rock Rd could use some pruning and cutting back of branches/deadfall. If anyone is motivated to do a little work the easiest way is to park at the gate at the end of Whitetail loop trail and walk in from there. I'll try to get out there some time in the next week, hopefully.

adinpapa, I run a 32x21, mostly because I like to spin, and my knees get beat up by a stiffer gear. I usually use this bike on the Cape too, so its good for all those steep hills. Probably wouldn't be good for this course. The course is mostly flat and has a lot of fire road sections.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for hosting this event, it was a blast! That course was gnarly, still feeling the effects of riding the full 50 on my rigid bike, next year I'm definitely going to ride a bike with suspension!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by biggrumble View Post
    Still feeling the effects of riding the full 50 on my rigid bike, next year I'm definitely going to ride a bike with suspension!
    Me too!
    NEMBA Freetown VP

mtbr member
    I rode the 25 and every muscle in my upper body aches. not to mention the road rash : ) i cant fathom two laps of that course. but i had fun : ))