mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Freeriding near boston?

I recently got accepted to northeastern as a transfer student and I'll most likely be attending in the fall. Besides urban stuff in the city, what is the freeride scene like in massachusetts? It's doubtful I'll be bringing a car up so the closer to boston the better. I like to do XC so I what decent trails are worth hitting up when i start school again.

mtbr member
    Gman, congrats on being accepted to NE...couple of my buddies went there in the past...it's a great school.

Right off the top of my head you'll want to check out the Fells for really good XC riding.
    For the more technical stuff you'll want to check out Lynn Woods.

The Fells is probably a 10-15 minute drive max from the city...and Lynn Woods is about 20-25 minutes outside the city.

Both are frequently mentioned on this board....try searching around for old posts.

Check out these websites for more info on riding in the area....
    http://nemba.org/
    http://www.bikerag.com/
    Also check out the trail reviews section of MTBR.

rack admirer

You want BustedSpoke.com

Since you are carless..Close to you would be the Fenway dirt jumps.
    MCM # 57

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    im seriously debating the car thing, my cousin says i wont need one, but i enjoy being active outdoors and i could seriously be limited by not having one. its not worth ton of money ethier so i dont have to worry about it getting banged up too bad,

rack admirer

check out parking fees

Unless you can get parking through NU, parking will cost you the equivalent of an apartment in other parts of the country.
    MCM # 57

Authority is dead!
    1. Car would be nice if you can afford. There are parking lots in Wentworth (next to NEU), I would say NEU should have somethin'.
    2. Fenway DJs, urban scene is sick in Boston. As always, whatch out for cops.
    3. Lynn Woods is pretty sick for freeriding. That's the only place I ride.
    4. You can get there, but hoping on the train and getting off in Lynn. Dunno the $, I think it's like 4$, but 15min ride is unbeatable comparing to traffic around Boston. From there I can pick you up and show aorund Lynn Woods. Shoot me an email if interested: hungry4bigair at gmail dot com. Also, check Bustedspoke.com.
    5. Vietnam is pretty good form what I heard, but you need to know where to go.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    im definitly gonna check on the parking thing asap. I just want to make sure that if i decide to not bring my car up in the fall that if i change my mind that i can park it somewhere safe. I'll have to take you up on the offer. the best way to find the good trails is to get someone who already rides them to take you around.

Authority is dead!
    Hey, no problem. You probably will not be using a car that much in Boston. Public trasportation is decent, everything is relatively close. You better bringing (or picking up here) some beater bicycle for every day use. Traffic is really bad in Boston, so bicycling will be much faster.

P.S. Good bike you have for LW. Very nice!
    Last edited by Lucky13; 06-18-2005 at 03:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ya i have an old canondale hardtail with a junk manitou shock but it gets the job done for riding around/getting me where I need to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman
    ya i have an old canondale hardtail with a junk manitou shock but it gets the job done for riding around/getting me where I need to go.

Not trying to post whore or anything, but I just found out online that I also got into Boston University. I'm way pysched.

Authority is dead!
    Congratulations! What major are you going for?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I was a marketing major before but I dont have a big interest in studying business as an undergraduate. Right now I'm considering political science, history, or english. If i want to I can always do a major and a minor or some akward combination.

Authority is dead!
    Nice. Hit me up when you get here (assuming late August).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    i figure I'd bump my old thread. I'm up in boston at BU and so far its going well. I just got a vp-free and I'm in the process of selling the banshee.

mtbr member
    i figure I'd bump my old thread. I'm up in boston at BU and so far its going well. I just got a vp-free and I'm in the process of selling the banshee.
    Is the Boston University Mountain Bike Association still in existence? I use to ride with that crew when I was at Northeastern in the mid 90's. We often over ran Mass Ave as we headed out to The Fells for an afternoon ride.

mtbr member
    Congrats. Get thee to Lynn Woods ASAP. The riding there is awesome, and your VP free will be just the ticket. Hook up with some locals and they'll show you all the good stuff. Stay north of Walden Pond. You might want to invest in some body armor.

Happy trails...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ya BU still has a mtn bike club. I know a few of the guys but haven't ridden with any of the members yet.

mtbr member
    ya BU still has a mtn bike club. I know a few of the guys but haven't ridden with any of the members yet.
    Cool, At the time Northeastern did not have any sort mountain bike scene so I hung out with the BU crew. From what I hear NU now has a team!

A while back I made a passion post about my college mountain biking days in Boston. Must have been the best time of my life.

Lynn Woods MA Bow Ridge passion -- with the old school style

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    ya, its progressed to a cycling club not just mtn biking. the majority of the members are roadies.