Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Flowy Smooth Singletrack

Alright, this has probably been specifically done, or indirectly done, but I couldn't find it so I am hoping to have this come through. I am new to mountain biking (basically) after a 15 year hiatus, and like many of you, love fast flowy singletrack. I realize its not what Mass trails are all about, but I have come across some good choices, but would love to find more. So the criteria is that there has to be a 1. substantial number of miles of 2. fast 3. flowy 4. singletrack. My list so far, in no particular order, is:

1. Landlocked Forest
    2. Duxbury
    3. Willowdale
    4. Stratham Hill
    5. Russel Mills
    6. Cutler
    7. Franklin Falls
    8. Bear Brook
    9. Western Greenway

Any other recommendations would be great. I have GPX/TCX files of all my rides if interested in "doing" any of my routes.

mtbr member
    Big River, Adams Farm, Rayburn, Uxbridge (Goat Hill, Ribbon Candy, West Hill Dam), Otis Air force Base, Trail of Tears, Willow Street and Nickerson come to mind.

mtbr member
    Hello, Earls trails!
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Robinson SF in Agawam

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I will second Otis being pretty smooth but I gotta veto Adams farms just got done with the race and some of it is pretty smooth the other have is not at all. Adams farm is definately a cool place to check if you haven't yet

trail projectile

Flowy Smooth Singletrack

Earls.

Hawley.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Agree on earl's but disagree on Hawley. 1. it's awesome (just rode there today) and perhaps compared to Wendell, DAR and B-Street it qualifies as smooth, but not in any general sense can the root and rock strewn trails of Hawley be called smooth.

2. Flowy...old school flowy, for sure (which I love) but by today's standards (think the KT effect) it's way to tight and turny to be 'flowy' as a whole.

Neither of which decries the place, as I said, it rules, but only compared to the harsher rides of western, ma can hawley meet the 'smooth and flowy' description.

trail projectile

Flowy Smooth Singletrack

Agree on Hawley: very flowy but yes roots and such. You're right that I was comparing to other Mass fare instead of the rest of the world. Still, my absolute favorite when I'm looking for that flowy feel. The walls!

mtbr member
    OK my list for fast and flowy in descending order (for MA) :
    -Earls. Close to KT level but there isn't much of it.
    -Cutler Park. Again, not very much but so close to Boston.
    -Otis. I would go here more if it wasn't for the traffic. Great place to ride in winter as it typically is snow free.
    -Trail of Tears. See above.
    -Russell Mill. Fun but not a lot of miles.
    -Goat Hill. My "go to" local ride.
    -West Hill Dam
    -Ribbon Candy
    -Robinson. Probably not worth the drive from the Boston area and not a lot of miles but fun stuff. That said, I haven't been there in a while so they might be chewed up.
    -Rayburn is great but it is not fast and flowy. Sutton WW is probably a little faster and flowier but can also be techy so it doesn't make the list.

Out of state:
    -Allegrippis Trails in PA. Amazingly fast and flowy. Think 30 mile pump track. Around here a fast ride for me will average 8-9mph. There my average is 10-12 with much more climbing. Dirtfest in May is a must do for the tons of vendors, demos, and free beer. 2013 Dirtfest - Allegrippis Trails - Hydro Loop - YouTube
    -KT sets the bar for flowy, scenic, well build st. With 60+ miles of st it is an awesome place for a long weekend of riding.
    -Ascutney, VT. I was very pleasantly surprised when I was there for VT bike fest. Really great stuff and only 2 hours from Boston.
    -Stowe/Waterbury, VT. Same as above when the fest was there the previous two years. VT is turning into the "go to" place for great st. I've heard Pine Hill, Millstone, and Green Mtn trails are also great but haven't had a chance to ride there yet.
    -FOMBA although there are some tech trails. And I haven't been there in a couple years. FOMBA - Woodpecker - YouTube
    -Big River. Would be really great if they could keep the dirtbikes and atvs off the st.

It should be noted that I haven't ridden some of the places mentioned (LL, Willowdale, etc).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This is great, thanks so much for contributing everyone. I'm excited to try so many of your recommendations. Please keep them coming everyone else!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13 View Post
    Big River, Adams Farm, Rayburn, Uxbridge (Goat Hill, Ribbon Candy, West Hill Dam), Otis Air force Base, Trail of Tears, Willow Street and Nickerson come to mind.
    Some great stuff on this thread, but Rayburn? C'mon, that's like the land of technical switchbacks. I wouldn't call that "flowy" in the least. But I loooooove riding there!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Also, if anyone has GPS/TCX routes they could provide, especially if the routes are completing the fast/flowy ST trails in a given area, that would be great. As I mentioned, I have GPS/TCX files for all of my rides and am on Strava, Mapmyride, and Runtastic MTB. Recently mounting the iPhone on the handlebar and following people's routes has been immensely helpful.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm surprised to see Otis on here multiple times. My definition of flow is based on something akin to KT. I know its the Cape, but Otis is a bumpy ride. I typically describe TOT as the more "flowy" of the two main Cape riding areas, with Otis having more technical riding.

But I do refer to both as "SS heaven" in that they are quick and fun.

I'll also second Allegrippis! I went to Penn State and spent a few weekends down there after they built it, it became my mecca and defined the "roller coaster in the woods feel" until I came back to New England and hit KT.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Groton town forrest has around 8-10 miles worth. With minimal road work it can be linked into 20+ miles worth with some good climbs in the mix.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Do you have any GPX/TCX routes for a Groton Town Forest ride?

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I have some on garmin connect. Under D.J.Burnham.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J View Post
    Do you know whether or not its possible for people without a Garmin device to download the files?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lstone84 View Post
    Do you know whether or not its possible for people without a Garmin device to download the files?
    It sure is. Sign up for a Garmin Connect user ID, then search for activities. Select "export", then you can save a gpx file to use in Google Earth, iphone app, etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks djb2.

I've sent a garmin connect friend request David J, I think you need to accept before I can view your activities. I went to high school in Groton so I am somewhat familiar with the area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It's always difficult to answer these things because fast and flowy means so many different things to different people. To me, for it to be "fast and flowy," it has to be smooth. That's not true for everyone. My favorite trails to ride are Earle's trails in Amherst/Hadley, mentioned by a number of others. A lot of the good riders call them fast and flowy, but I wouldn't. Compared to B street or Charlemont (also great trail systems), then yes, they are. And it's probably accurate to say that they are pretty flowy in their design. But they are very rooty and have some very tight turns with those exposed roots on a lot of trails, so they really aren't fast IMO. I would say almost every beginner trail and intermediate trail at KT is easier and generally faster than most of Earle's.

There are 16 miles of single-track in Earle's, which yields a ride with little repetition of anywhere from two hours for an expert rider who is hammering and taking pains to minimize double track to 4 hours for a more leisurely ride with a bit of double-track mixed in. One thing it is not is flat (which is one reason I like it).

I second the suggestion of Robinson - only ridden there a couple times, but it is fast. I hear from others there is more flow hidden than I experienced.

Only other place I know of out in this general area is one I just rode for the first time last week, which is Chicopee State Park. There are a few miles of the smoothest flow you'll ever see, but not enough miles to make any significant journey worth it, and I suspect most intermediate and expert riders would get bored quickly. I haven't found a better place to introduce a kid safely to winding single-track around here, though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J View Post
    It looks like the rides aren't labeled, do you have the dates for the Groton town forest rides?

mtbr member
    I would throw charlton street school in southbridge on there as well. I always end up back there. One of my favs.
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper fsr comp
    1998 Specialized Stumpjumper S2(Metal Matrix)

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    I'll label a few of the Groton loops to make it easier to pick and choose.

mtbr member
    If you ride this route it's fast and foley.
    TOT, Cape Cod.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I would also add Callahan and the XC Nam trails to this list. I've ridden Callahan twice now and the south side is almost all flow, I'm not sure exactly how many miles are there but my guess is 10ish. I rode both sides last night and put in about 15 miles total and I believe the north side was only 6 of that.

I'm interested in checking out anything that is 20-30 minutes from the 495/90 interchange. I think Goat Hill might be close to that distance. Not sure about Groton. But if anyone is planning a ride, post up and maybe we can all find some new flow trails.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast