Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: basso4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    269

    First time at Lynn Woods

    This morning I took the first real trail run in about 4 or so years, so I'm pretty out of shape. I took Route #2 listed on diesel bikes site(great site by the way). http://www.dieselbikes.com/trails/ly...ail_routes.htm

    Besides going off the route a few times and looping around, it was easy to follow. Now, my question is, being an absolute beginner, should I be able to do all the climbs on that route? I found myself walking up some really rocky climbs and such, but since that was a "beginner" trail I was just curious.

    I also ate dirt and went over the bars on the ledge "steps" after Balanced Boulder I think it was. Just some scrapes .

    I now know that my next upgrade will be clipless pedals since I found my feet slipping off and really limiting my climbs.


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    100
    If you're truly a beginner then you should expect to do a lot of walking in Lynn Woods. And unless you're just riding around the reservoir, nothing in Lynn is really for beginners. Once you're off the fire road the climbs littered with rocks and roots are inevitable. You're already ahead of most though since your post didn't say" this place sucks, I'm never coming back" I've been riding Lynn for years and still walk sections. Sometimes I get 'em, sometimes I don't. You're in a good place though being a beginner. You'll be cleaning new stuff with each ride and that confidence will get you down those tricky sections like after balancing boulder. Definitely try to hook up with some riders where you can stay on someones tail. You'll be amazed how a few inches to the right or left can make a seemingly impossible climb turn easy. My biggest improvements have always come from following someone up something or off something that I wouldn't have known to do had they not been in front of me. Good thing about Lynn is there's a group there every night you can link up with. Good luck

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    184
    Been riding lynn for almost 5 years. Still learning the lines.

  4. #4
    the test dummy
    Reputation: insanitylevel9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,503
    i still haven't made it up to Lynn woods i gotta go this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

  5. #5
    Clown
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    109
    ah...an offering of flesh & blood to the gods of lynn...excellent.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: basso4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    269
    Good to know guys. Too bad I cracked the crown on my fork, I dont know the next time Ill be able to go over there .

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by basso4735
    Good to know guys. Too bad I cracked the crown on my fork, I dont know the next time Ill be able to go over there .
    Lynn Woods is a black hole that sucks in mountain bike parts.

    This happened to my friend yesterday while we were riding a new trail there for the first time (the trail seemed relatively new)

    '08 Stumpy
    '10 Enduro
    '11 Transition TR250

  8. #8
    the test dummy
    Reputation: insanitylevel9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash 79
    Lynn Woods is a black hole that sucks in mountain bike parts.

    This happened to my friend yesterday while we were riding a new trail there for the first time (the trail seemed relatively new)

    that sucks lynn ate your bike
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: basso4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    269
    Ouch!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    Sweet!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    346
    what are the rims on that Enduro? i have an '09 and i think i want a new wheelset. After looking at that, i really think i do.

  12. #12
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,024
    Basso, sorry to hear about your bike being broken. I was going to add that instead of clipless pedals you may want to consider riding a high end flat pedal with good pins for a while before upgrading all the way to clipless. I say this because you may want to get more comfortable with the bike and getting it through technical points of the trail you're riding before you move up to being attached to the thing. After about 10 years of clipless, I've just about ditched them completely this season, you don't need them to stay on the bike, but they're great for long XC rides.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by starry
    what are the rims on that Enduro? i have an '09 and i think i want a new wheelset. After looking at that, i really think i do.
    Those wheels are the DT Swiss 420 sl (or something like that). He is always breaking spokes. I had the same wheels on my SJ and they would never stay true, and I broke a lot of spokes. I replaced them at the beginning of this season with Azonic Outlaws.

    When I got my Enduro I instantly took off the DT Swiss wheels that came with it and put on my Outlaws from my SJ. No problems so far on about 16 rides at Lynn.

    The PITA part about the '07-08 Enduros is that the e150 fork is a 25mm dia thru axle which is not a standard size.
    The '09's I think went back to a Fox Float fork, so you should be fine with any wheelset that has a 20mm TA.
    '08 Stumpy
    '10 Enduro
    '11 Transition TR250

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash 79
    Those wheels are the DT Swiss 420 sl (or something like that). He is always breaking spokes. I had the same wheels on my SJ and they would never stay true, and I broke a lot of spokes. I replaced them at the beginning of this season with Azonic Outlaws.

    When I got my Enduro I instantly took off the DT Swiss wheels that came with it and put on my Outlaws from my SJ. No problems so far on about 16 rides at Lynn.

    The PITA part about the '07-08 Enduros is that the e150 fork is a 25mm dia thru axle which is not a standard size.
    The '09's I think went back to a Fox Float fork, so you should be fine with any wheelset that has a 20mm TA.

    thanks...yeah i have the '09 Comp, with the 15mm..FOX Float 32.

    Do wider/beefier/better wheels make a big difference - especially for downhill stuff? I've never had real good wheelset i guess. Are the Outlaws pretty beefy?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    346
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Basso, sorry to hear about your bike being broken. I was going to add that instead of clipless pedals you may want to consider riding a high end flat pedal with good pins for a while before upgrading all the way to clipless. I say this because you may want to get more comfortable with the bike and getting it through technical points of the trail you're riding before you move up to being attached to the thing. After about 10 years of clipless, I've just about ditched them completely this season, you don't need them to stay on the bike, but they're great for long XC rides.

    big thumbs up to this. After riding clipless for basically 12 years, i just switched - like last week - to some platforms - Azonic 420s. I have to say i've not noticed climbing to be any harder. It's great. I think it will make me a better/different rider. Good to have skill sets for both probably. I'm still sketched out if i get any air though. Need to keep my feet from flying around

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by starry
    thanks...yeah i have the '09 Comp, with the 15mm..FOX Float 32.

    Do wider/beefier/better wheels make a big difference - especially for downhill stuff? I've never had real good wheelset i guess. Are the Outlaws pretty beefy?
    I would say the Outlaws are pretty strong. I got them because they were cheap ($210 last year) and everyone wrote good things about them on this forum.

    If your wheels are holding up just fine for the riding you are doing, then I wouldn't worry about them.
    '08 Stumpy
    '10 Enduro
    '11 Transition TR250

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: basso4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    269
    Good stuff guys.

    Anyway, over the next few weeks Im going to be looking a new bikes. I know ill be stopping at Western Cycles as its down the road in Danvers, but they dont carry Specialized? Any shops around that area that do?

  18. #18
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,024
    Quote Originally Posted by basso4735
    Good stuff guys.

    Anyway, over the next few weeks Im going to be looking a new bikes. I know ill be stopping at Western Cycles as its down the road in Danvers, but they dont carry Specialized? Any shops around that area that do?
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...&address=01923

    You may need to go to a few shops to find exactly what you want, but that'll get you started.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  19. #19
    Huh?
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by basso4735
    Good stuff guys.

    Anyway, over the next few weeks Im going to be looking a new bikes. I know ill be stopping at Western Cycles as its down the road in Danvers, but they dont carry Specialized? Any shops around that area that do?
    Any reason why you're only looking at Spesh? I know Western carries Trek as well as Transision. Both make good bikes. If you're set on a Specialized check out Seaside Cycles in Manchester.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: basso4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...&address=01923

    You may need to go to a few shops to find exactly what you want, but that'll get you started.
    Yes I know about the dealer locator. I was hoping some people could recommend some shops that carry them.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CRAZY FRED's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,674

    Class act....

    Quote Originally Posted by kubaner
    If you're truly a beginner then you should expect to do a lot of walking in Lynn Woods. And unless you're just riding around the reservoir, nothing in Lynn is really for beginners. Once you're off the fire road the climbs littered with rocks and roots are inevitable. You're already ahead of most though since your post didn't say" this place sucks, I'm never coming back" I've been riding Lynn for years and still walk sections. Sometimes I get 'em, sometimes I don't. You're in a good place though being a beginner. You'll be cleaning new stuff with each ride and that confidence will get you down those tricky sections like after balancing boulder. Definitely try to hook up with some riders where you can stay on someones tail. You'll be amazed how a few inches to the right or left can make a seemingly impossible climb turn easy. My biggest improvements have always come from following someone up something or off something that I wouldn't have known to do had they not been in front of me. Good thing about Lynn is there's a group there every night you can link up with. Good luck
    Well said Mike...............CF.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    11
    I just bought a 2010 Enduro Comp at North Shore Cycles in Lynn. Seems like a great shop, all wicked nice people in there, and the owner gave me a pretty amazing deal on the bike.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: basso4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd
    Any reason why you're only looking at Spesh? I know Western carries Trek as well as Transision. Both make good bikes. If you're set on a Specialized check out Seaside Cycles in Manchester.
    I'm not at all only looking at specialized. Western is my first stop and I know they dont carry them but I wanted to check some out.

    Thanks for the help guys. Threw my Haro up on CL to help fund a new bike. Hopefully someone wants it.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: basso4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    269
    Just got back from belmont wheel works. ugh. Ill just say out right, the sales lady was very nice and it seems like she did everything she could to help me.

    I called them at 12pm right as they opened. Asked the guy on the phone if they had the Spesh hardrock disc 19" in black in stock, he answers yes. Also asked if they had the regular hardrock as well.

    Drive 35 minutes there, the hardrock disc is not on the floor, but the sales lady said she'll check the basement. She comes back up, says they don't have one built but the manager said they could have it built in 45 mins. They said they would check the sommerville store, and I said if they had a hardrock sport(no disc) I would take it. Well they said they did, so as I was about drive over there when the salesperson mentioned I would like the disc brakes on the sport......well the sport shouldnt have disc brakes unless it is the sport DISC. So forget that option.

    Alright I thought, not bad, Ill just take the regular hardrock out for a spin that was on the floor. Took a long ride trying to pass the time. Come back in, sales lady says, "umm sorry, theyve been looking for the black 19" disc and can't find it. We have this one in silver right here."

    Looked at it, obviously had been ridden a fair amount, did not look anything like new at all. Went for a ride on it, derailleur was adjusted horribly, could not even get the rear into the 2 lowest gears.

    I came back and told her that I wasn't going to take it, she offered 10% off an accessory, I laughed and said no thanks.

    Basically what ticked me off the most was the guy on the phone originally, did not get off his ass and go look for the bike, he just looked at the computer screen. When I went to the store, all the employees looked like they biked, so why can't you get off your ass and go look for a bike? Beats me.

    I went to JRA yesterday, service was good, problem was that there were 3 hardtails in my budget(~$500), ONLY 3!. 2 GT's, one avalance 3.0 and an outpost, and a Fuji that was marked down but not in my size. I test rode the avalanche, which was nice, but not $550 nice before tax.

    Next was Buchika in Salem, NH. Found a cannondale f8 and f9, but I wouldnt be getting that much for the money with those. They had some hardrocks but only the disc sport in my size which is a little out of my price range at $560.

    All in all, pretty disspointed this weekend, and it being rainy didnt help at all.

    I'm ready to throw in the towel and give bikes direct my money.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    184
    you should really be thinking about buying used. more for your money as long as you know what your looking for. go on nemba/bustedspoke etc and search around. There are deals to be had. post a wanted add on those sites too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •