mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Finding Earl's Trails?

I've been to the Bachelor Street trails a few times, which were pretty easy to find and navigate with my GPS, but never to "Earl's trails".

I assume I park at The Notch visitor center? Where do I actually get onto the trails? Anyone have a GPS track they could send me of a good route?

-stems

mtbr member
    if you park at the notch visitor center, take your bike and ride down the hill just a little bit it will be the first street on your left. take that street and ride untill you get to a gate. you will see a trail on the right side, go there and enjoy!

Hassan's Ghost
    Sep 2008
    The funny thing is, the above directions would work for either Bach or Earl's.

The qualifier is... head back toward amherst in riding down the hill and taking a left, or just go accross 116 and head up the trail, take a right.

That said, I prefer to park down at Hampshire or Chmura.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Earl's

Join Pioneer Valley NEMBA for guided tours this Saturday morning 6/20 at 9:00AM from the Notch.

Ride loops to both Batchelor's Street and Earl's Trails.
    http://facebook.com/CharlemontTrails
    NEMBA Past President...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    From google maps, and the map of the entire Range, it looks like there's parking at the very end of Churma Rd, correct?

Any route you suggest? or just general directions to head?

Quote Originally Posted by olapiquena
    The funny thing is, the above directions would work for either Bach or Earl's.

The qualifier is... head back toward amherst in riding down the hill and taking a left, or just go accross 116 and head up the trail, take a right.

That said, I prefer to park down at Hampshire or Chmura.

achiever
    Here's a route: from the Chmura cul de sac, go back down the road for a 1/2 mile (?) and take a left on the jeep road with the gate. Go up that road, past the small pond on your right. Keep going until it gets steep. Look for a singltrack trail on your left. Take that trail. Keep following it for quite a while. Go across all the jeep roads you come to. After a while you will come to a section that is up hill and has a kind of mossy looking spine. At the end of the spine go right and then a quick left onto singletrack again. Follow this for a while and after a bit you will be on a slight downslope. Look for another singltrack on your left. Follow this down a hill, across a fire road and onto more singltrack. Climb the next bit, don't take the singltrack on your right. You'll come to a "T" intersection. Go left. Follow this through some switchbacks, a sweet flowy rocky bench cut section, go through the dip (watch for mud). The next section is tight and super flowy for a short while. Climb out of there and take a right on the jeep road. This narrows down to singletrack. Keep following this over some water bars and up to the bunker on military road. Stay left and go back down.

Earl's is a maze and takes a long time to learn but it's worth it.

PM sent

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I Know this is an old thread, however i have a link to some of the trails i have been mapping that i figured there might be some interest in on here. i will keep updating them as i ride more trails and once i start exploring bachelors street i will likely make a map for them as well. enjoy

Never mind apparently to post a link i need to make 10 posts or more first. PM me for the link if your interested. the map is incorporated into google maps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Earls Trails (Amherst MA) - Google Maps

so thats what i have mapped out of earls trails. there are allot more trails that i have not ridden and i will continue to update while i ride them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbiker148 View Post
    Earls Trails (Amherst MA) - Google Maps

so thats what i have mapped out of earls trails. there are allot more trails that i have not ridden and i will continue to update while i ride them.
    "Jurassic Park"? These trails already have names, you know. . . (the one that goes over and down Little Tinker is called "Glenna Bell"). And -- I mean, nice work -- but you know a map of these trails already exists, yes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by am_dial View Post
    "Jurassic Park"? These trails already have names, you know. . . (the one that goes over and down Little Tinker is called "Glenna Bell"). And -- I mean, nice work -- but you know a map of these trails already exists, yes?
    I was unaware of the map of these trails until yesterday when someone from the forum emailed it to me. i was unable to find one on the internet so i figured i would start making my own. i know that the trails had names however i didn't have the map or original names but the friend i was riding with called that one Jurassic park because a valley it goes through it full of ferns in the summer and looks like Jurassic park. no offense meant to anyone who help build and name the original trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbiker148 View Post
    I was unaware of the map of these trails until yesterday when someone from the forum emailed it to me. i was unable to find one on the internet so i figured i would start making my own. i know that the trails had names however i didn't have the map or original names but the friend i was riding with called that one Jurassic park because a valley it goes through it full of ferns in the summer and looks like Jurassic park. no offense meant to anyone who help build and name the original trails.
    No worries, and I also intended no offense -- I didn't build or name those trails, either. It looks like the best map of the range trails is down from its usual site: you might try putting the link into the wayback machine so you can see all the names and ratings of the trails, at least c. 2005, which I think is the last time that map was updated.

See you at Earl's or Bachelor Street sometime!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Old thread I know, but after the slight rain overnight Earl's is in great shape. Just got back from a ride.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    yea i rode earls on sunday once in the morning and than a little later in the afternoon just as it was starting to rain. Was a blast. I try to ride there once a week at least. I have been seeing more and more people out on earls though. Not sure if the riders are part of a forum or not.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i have been seeing more and more people out lately on earls. went for a ride sunday and saw 4 bikers on the trails. also looked like they were having the seven sister's race as well. parking lot was jam packed

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sorry to revive an old thread again, but could someone PM me the map of Earl's? I always manage to have a good ride there but I think there's a lot of trails I never see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hi All!

I'm new to MTB, but been riding road/other for a while now. I'm thinking about checking this place out tomorrow. I'd appreciate if anyone is able to send me a map/tips, or even if you'd like to meet up! I live in Northampton, MA

Thanks!

Tyler