mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Finding a Decent Shop

Hey all, I'm curious on people's tips on good shops out there. I'm really struggling to find any local shops much less GOOD local shops. I'm down on cape and it seems I'll be stuck going to Boston for a new bike (I hate to drive so far).

By good shops I mean: people who know mountain biking, people not just looking to make a buck (or 10,000, I'm not made of money), and a place that sells more than one bike.

By and large I've found it tough in Massachusetts because I want to try multiple bikes and I won't just buy what someone happens to be selling the minute I walk in.

As someone who tries to support local shops I fear I may even be stuck buying off the internet.

Jaymanjibe
    Nov 2012
    I am not sure what part of the Cape you are on but you can try Sailworld in Buzzards Bay. It is a Windsurfing shop but they also sell and rent Specialized bikes and have a Test The Bike Program. I know they are Mountain Bikers and do some weekly rides.

Sailworld Cape Cod** 888 496-4696

Call them at 888 496-4696, or 508 759-6559

Jim Ballantyne is the owner

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I know nothing of the Cape, so I can't help you there. If you do decide to drive up though, I can't recommend JRA in Medford enough.

mtbr member
    I gotta second JRA. I would rather drive an hour there than order off the internet.
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks, I hate driving to a shop (mainly because they are not right there when I want to stop by) but I also would rather support a shop than buy off the internet.

JRA has come up in multiple settings so maybe a weekend trip is needed.

mtbr member
    Check out Bike Zone in Falmouth or Hyannis. The owners (the Alty brothers) have been involved with the bike community for years and years on the Cape. I used to race BMX with them back in the day when their dad ran the shop and it was called "Bikes-N-More". I live in NH now but I know that is where my dad takes his bike (casual hybrid rider) whenever he needs anything. He's never had a bad word to say about them either. Probably worth a shot if you don't want to drive too far.

Bike Zone - The Best Bike Store on Cape Cod
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    One more for JRA Cycles in Medford - good selection, great staff, great mountain bike supporters.

Belmont Wheelworks has a great selection, but their sales, service, and support absolutely suck.

Class Clown
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    One more for JRA Cycles in Medford - good selection, great staff, great mountain bike supporters.

Belmont Wheelworks has a great selection, but their sales, service, and support absolutely suck.
    There are some helpful people at Belmont and Ace but they definitely have their bad apples. JRA seems like a tight knit crew and have went out of their way to help me even with small issues.

mtbr member
    I split my time between Cape Cod and a Boston suburb. I don't care where I am, I'll only go to JRA. I've bought several mountain bikes including my latest Surly Moon lander. You can not get any better service or selection anywhere.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's difficult for a small shop to have thousands of dollars worth of bikes sitting around like Boston bike shops
    Bike Zone no longer sells Cannondale or Specialized. I would not recommend them but will not comment.

Sea Sports of Hyannis has Cdale and Specialized.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I would also second sailworld in B bay. they are a small specialized dealer but they are good people.Jim and his family enjoy riding mountain bikes and do weekly ride at otis or tot. Jim knows otis very well and leads some decent rides.
    You may also want to try serious cycles in Plymouth they have mountain bike trails right across from their shop.Good luck

mtbr member

Finding a Decent Shop

Spark bike run sport in east taunton Serious cycles in Plymouth. These guys ride what they sell nice selection in both shops.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out Bike Barn. Yes you'll have to drive, but free demos of new, high end gear? Hard to beat that.

mtbr member

Finding a Decent Shop

Yes bike barn also a great shop...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    It's difficult for a small shop to have thousands of dollars worth of bikes sitting around like Boston bike shops
    Bike Zone no longer sells Cannondale or Specialized. I would not recommend them but will not comment.

Sea Sports of Hyannis has Cdale and Specialized.
    Did you have a bad experience at Bike Zone? I've never been there so I was going off what I knew of the owners and my dad's experience there. If its a bad shop that is worth letting people know!
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Milford Bike. Great shop and close to 'Nam.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've had good luck with Bicycles Plus in Franklin. They've come thru especially when I've needed smaller, obscure parts.