Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
  1. #1
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432

    Fells Riders.............watch your backs.

    Was out today on a small group ride. Coming down one of the backside trails from the Sheeps Fold area, when I encountered a very hostile irrational older woman with a small brown dog.

    Upon spotting her I did all the right things. Alerting her to my presence as to not spook her or her dog. As PC as I was it was to no avail as she tried to block my passage. All the while the dog was showing me it's teeth and barking at my ankles. I got off my bike and walked past her, she was yelling at me and waiving her arms like a crazy person.I said very little to her. I got on my bike and tried to get away from her and the dog. As soon as I got five feet from her she yells, "get him" "get him" to the dog. The dog gives chase nipping at my feet for a good 100 yards. At that point I had two options. One was to boot the dog in the face. Or two was to just put on the afterburners and dust the dog. I chose the latter.

    So watch out for this woman. From what I hear she is in and around the Sheeps Fold. I thought initially when I heard the strory it was exagerated, but it is not. She is for real, and in my opinion very dangerous. It is just a matter of time before someone gets bit by her dog.

    Greg
    Voltron

  2. #2
    F Scandium
    Reputation: TrailGuru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16
    THIS is the instance when you needed to be snappin digipics, not the other thread.

  3. #3
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailGuru
    THIS is the instance when you needed to be snappin digipics, not the other thread.

    True that!
    Voltron

  4. #4
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,993
    She's going to pull that move on the wrong person sooner or later. I love dogs, but her actions dictate that its going to get hurt.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

  5. #5
    The endless excuses guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    270

    Crazy Mary

    Wow! Not to trying to make your encounter petty or anything, but that was funny. Any idea of what she was freakin' about?
    Press "1" for English. Press "2" to be deported

  6. #6
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    Wow! Not to trying to make your encounter petty or anything, but that was funny. Any idea of what she was freakin' about?

    It is funny on paper, but not in person.
    She was freaking because she does not want bikes on "her" trails. The same old story.
    Voltron

  7. #7
    The endless excuses guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    It is funny on paper, but not in person.
    She was freaking because she does not want bikes on "her" trails. The same old story.
    I agree with TrailGuru, next time/if you see her, take some pictures of her. You tried to appease(sp?) her with kindness, now its your turn to freak her out. What you do with the pix is up to you, but I'd like to see 'em
    Press "1" for English. Press "2" to be deported

  8. #8
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,993
    I hope yogreg's digicam has very little shutterlag. Those extra seconds are important when a dog is bolting for you on the owners command to "attack"....
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: aveski2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    364
    See if someone has a helmet cam you can use. She might not notice it and really incriminate herself.

  10. #10
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    I hope yogreg's digicam has very little shutterlag. Those extra seconds are important when a dog is bolting for you on the owners command to "attack"....

    Its not too bad.
    May be riding there tonight. Maybe I can try and bag her. (joke)
    Voltron

  11. #11
    customized
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    Its not too bad.
    May be riding there tonight. Maybe I can try and bag her. (joke)
    Maybe she just needs a little loving Greg? Try giving her a hug, maybe get a little feel while your at it?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: freerider167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    get a pit bull to go bike riding with you next time. then see who is boss and then block her way and everything she did. Bring a cam and then sure her for attacking you with the dog. Just joking but she does seam a little wacked.

  13. #13
    Kearsarge crawler
    Reputation: minkhiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,876
    That was my mother...sorry Greg she thought you were Louis.
    Your bike can take you anywhere, anytime, over any terrain but, you have to force it to GK 2004. BB1, who started it?

  14. #14
    customized
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,124
    Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    That was my mother...sorry Greg she thought you were Louis.
    ouch!

  15. #15
    one less car
    Reputation: whittij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by yogreg
    Was out today on a small group ride. Coming down one of the backside trails from the Sheeps Fold area, when I encountered a very hostile irrational older woman with a small brown dog.

    Upon spotting her I did all the right things. Alerting her to my presence as to not spook her or her dog. As PC as I was it was to no avail as she tried to block my passage. All the while the dog was showing me it's teeth and barking at my ankles. I got off my bike and walked past her, she was yelling at me and waiving her arms like a crazy person.I said very little to her. I got on my bike and tried to get away from her and the dog. As soon as I got five feet from her she yells, "get him" "get him" to the dog. The dog gives chase nipping at my feet for a good 100 yards. At that point I had two options. One was to boot the dog in the face. Or two was to just put on the afterburners and dust the dog. I chose the latter.

    So watch out for this woman. From what I hear she is in and around the Sheeps Fold. I thought initially when I heard the strory it was exagerated, but it is not. She is for real, and in my opinion very dangerous. It is just a matter of time before someone gets bit by her dog.

    Greg
    just chillin' today, reading some old posts and saw this one. Dude, you're not the only one to encounter this crazy beeyatch!! Damn, some folks are just plain nutso. There's also a woman with a yellow lab who walks on the mtbike loop up around the res in Winchester and she'll purposefully block the trail - and when you ask to pass, she ignores ya or shakes her head no, then ya' eventually go around her and she starts freaking-out. The second time i saw her she told her dog to "get him" as i went off-trail and passed her, but it was a lab so it tried to lick me. Dogs know better than some people who the good guys are...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MARider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by whittij
    just chillin' today, reading some old posts and saw this one. Dude, you're not the only one to encounter this crazy beeyatch!! Damn, some folks are just plain nutso. There's also a woman with a yellow lab who walks on the mtbike loop up around the res in Winchester and she'll purposefully block the trail - and when you ask to pass, she ignores ya or shakes her head no, then ya' eventually go around her and she starts freaking-out. The second time i saw her she told her dog to "get him" as i went off-trail and passed her, but it was a lab so it tried to lick me. Dogs know better than some people who the good guys are...
    Still beats bumping into the "naked-guy" out there in the middle of the night....

  17. #17
    one less car
    Reputation: whittij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by MARider
    Still beats bumping into the "naked-guy" out there in the middle of the night....
    no doubt. only seen that freak during the day.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MARider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    144

    Crazy!!!!!

    Riding onto the white trail tonight from the Sheepfold field, the lady with the dog blocked the path and started yelling at us to stay on our own trails. I said nothing and tried to go by her, she grabbed my handlebar and tried to physically stop me from getting by. I told her to let go of my bike immediately. I went into the brush to get by her as did the guys I ride with. As soon as I got past her she siced the little dog on me by saying "go get him." The dog went nuts and chased after us and started to nip.

    I thought the lady was unstable and therefore should be avoided, not confronted (she might have mace or even a gun--we are talking about a deranged and angry person IMO). Anyway we took off at full speed and after 5 minutes of cranking I could still here her chasing us. We met some other riders heading in the opposite direction and suggested they turn around, which they did. We took off and climbed to the top of the white where it opens up-well she must have cut us off at the pass. She was already ahead of us and was now piling logs and rocks on the trail to prevent people from riding by. We turned around again here just as she saw us. Now we had some serious downhill advantage over her and we took off fast. We did not see her again but mostly because we stayed on the orange.

    This is very bad. We are a very calm group of dog loving pacifists. She is going to run into the wrong group of people and either she, the rider or the dog is going to get hurt. Also, we had to turn around and could not do the ride we had intended on doing because of her. She said she is there every night. There is no way we are not going to ride those trails because of her.

    I am not sure what I will do when I see her again?which I am sure I will as we ride there twice a week.

    Any thoughts or suggestions? This woman is completely unreasonable and started swearing and screaming and callings us "dudes" after we got past her.
    cuz you're growns up and you're growns up and you're growns up...

  19. #19
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by MARider
    Riding onto the white trail tonight from the Sheepfold field, the lady with the dog blocked the path and started yelling at us to stay on our own trails. I said nothing and tried to go by her, she grabbed my handlebar and tried to physically stop me from getting by. I told her to let go of my bike immediately. I went into the brush to get by her as did the guys I ride with. As soon as I got past her she siced the little dog on me by saying "go get him." The dog went nuts and chased after us and started to nip.

    I thought the lady was unstable and therefore should be avoided, not confronted (she might have mace or even a gun--we are talking about a deranged and angry person IMO). Anyway we took off at full speed and after 5 minutes of cranking I could still here her chasing us. We met some other riders heading in the opposite direction and suggested they turn around, which they did. We took off and climbed to the top of the white where it opens up-well she must have cut us off at the pass. She was already ahead of us and was now piling logs and rocks on the trail to prevent people from riding by. We turned around again here just as she saw us. Now we had some serious downhill advantage over her and we took off fast. We did not see her again but mostly because we stayed on the orange.

    This is very bad. We are a very calm group of dog loving pacifists. She is going to run into the wrong group of people and either she, the rider or the dog is going to get hurt. Also, we had to turn around and could not do the ride we had intended on doing because of her. She said she is there every night. There is no way we are not going to ride those trails because of her.

    I am not sure what I will do when I see her again?which I am sure I will as we ride there twice a week.

    Any thoughts or suggestions? This woman is completely unreasonable and started swearing and screaming and callings us "dudes" after we got past her.
    This is a very serious problem.
    Since my incident I know of at least three other groups not including yours thathave had similar confrontations.
    All people are being encouraged to call the Police and file reports. We need to get documantation for future actions. What she is doing can be considered an assault. She is using her dog in an aggressive manner. Luckily nobody has been bit as of yet. It is just a matter of time.

    I will flat out not ride the Fells anymore due to this woman and others. Some dog owners in the Fells are getting very careless in my opinion. You almost cannot go through the Sheeps Fold field anytime in the afternoon due to the many dogs off leash that chase after you.
    I an a dog lover as well, I am just not a lover of bad dog owners.
    Voltron

  20. #20
    one less car
    Reputation: whittij's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    122

    come-on now!

    while that is totally inexcusable behavior on that insane lady's part, the white trail is closed to riding. if you want to ride them, you're gonna piss some people off - as there are some loony hikers/walkers who love to make a big stink. how would, "a mtbiker ran over my dog on a closed trail" sound in the news? while it may have been that crazy woman's fault and the dog had nipped your ass twelve times, it wouldn't play-out like that on the news.

    there's some singletrack sections that are legal in the Fells (like along south border road) then there's stuff that a lot of folks don't walk on that much - or at least i haven't had any issues on (like the cross-fells trail)... and if that doesn't satisfy, there are a ton of places to ride within 25miles of boston. ... i ride a lot of hours per week, live close to the fells and while the orange trail is a favorite, i now avoid it as it helps preserve mtbiking in the Fells. when i was younger, i didn't give a **** about the hikers and all that, then i saw the reality of the situation and the ability of one group to put its policies in place. would mtbiking get kicked-out of the fells? who the hell knows, all i know is that it's not worth losing everything 'cause some folks don't want to drive an extra 30mins to ride decent singletrack. when i need a good dose of singletrack, i head somewhere else - no big deal.

  21. #21
    Black Lion
    Reputation: yogreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by whittij
    while that is totally inexcusable behavior on that insane lady's part, the white trail is closed to riding. if you want to ride them, you're gonna piss some people off - as there are some loony hikers/walkers who love to make a big stink. how would, "a mtbiker ran over my dog on a closed trail" sound in the news? while it may have been that crazy woman's fault and the dog had nipped your ass twelve times, it wouldn't play-out like that on the news.

    there's some singletrack sections that are legal in the Fells (like along south border road) then there's stuff that a lot of folks don't walk on that much - or at least i haven't had any issues on (like the cross-fells trail)... and if that doesn't satisfy, there are a ton of places to ride within 25miles of boston. ... i ride a lot of hours per week, live close to the fells and while the orange trail is a favorite, i now avoid it as it helps preserve mtbiking in the Fells. when i was younger, i didn't give a **** about the hikers and all that, then i saw the reality of the situation and the ability of one group to put its policies in place. would mtbiking get kicked-out of the fells? who the hell knows, all i know is that it's not worth losing everything 'cause some folks don't want to drive an extra 30mins to ride decent singletrack. when i need a good dose of singletrack, i head somewhere else - no big deal.

    What you are saying is totally true, However the "lady" goes out of her way to confront riders in a very dangerous and negative way. I also have been avoiding the Fells as of late, too much chance for trouble. Plus I live ten minutes from Lynn Woods, but did really start my riding in the Fells back in the day. Avoiding the confrontation by staying off certain trails is great advice, but not driving a car to avoid an accident is good advice as well.

    I have been bitten by a careless dog owner in the past and it is not pretty.
    Voltron

  22. #22
    Who are the brain police?
    Reputation: Locoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,993
    I say Fells riders start carrying burlap sacks. During the next confrontation, the dog goes in the sack. Then someone can hand the woman a printed list of demands (--the letters need to be cut from different newspapers)....

    Personally, I stay away from that area when I ride the fells. Not to avoid nutbags and dogs, but to avoid dog crap. Had to many experiences with crap mud all over my bike and splashed up my back. Yuck.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MARider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by Locoman
    I say Fells riders start carrying burlap sacks. During the next confrontation, the dog goes in the sack. Then someone can hand the woman a printed list of demands (--the letters need to be cut from different newspapers)....

    Personally, I stay away from that area when I ride the fells. Not to avoid nutbags and dogs, but to avoid dog crap. Had to many experiences with crap mud all over my bike and splashed up my back. Yuck.
    I hear you about the dog crap. I love that ridge on the white and would hate to have to avoid it every time we rode there. We will probably stay away from the Fells in general for a while. I ride there a lot before work in the am by myself and hope not to see her then as well.
    cuz you're growns up and you're growns up and you're growns up...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JRUSHE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    189
    MARider,

    Greg's original post was about a woman with a small brown dog.

    Was your latest encounter the same woman/dog?

    Either way that is crazy that there are people like her that are so mentally unstable out there...and she probably thinks she's doing the right thing too!

    Like Greg said, I absolutely love dogs but I have zero tolerance for bad dog owners. I hope to god I don't run into this lady...out of fear that I'd get my ass bit and out of fear that i'd absolutely flip out on this woman.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MARider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    144
    Quote Originally Posted by JRUSHE
    MARider,

    Greg's original post was about a woman with a small brown dog.

    Was your latest encounter the same woman/dog?

    Either way that is crazy that there are people like her that are so mentally unstable out there...and she probably thinks she's doing the right thing too!

    Like Greg said, I absolutely love dogs but I have zero tolerance for bad dog owners. I hope to god I don't run into this lady...out of fear that I'd get my ass bit and out of fear that i'd absolutely flip out on this woman.

    Has to be the same woman. Thin woman, probably late around 50. Little dog is light brown and chased us for probably 1 mile, barking and nipping at us the whole way. She was never to far behind and kept yelling "go get him" to her poor dog. The dog probably is very worked up because of her. I would not recomend confronting her. I would hate for something bad to happen. She appears to be mentally unstable and is dangerous. If she is will to sic her dog on you, what else could she be capable of? Scary.
    cuz you're growns up and you're growns up and you're growns up...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 5'7"/135lb...29er bad idea?
    By blevyibr in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 01:17 AM
  2. The Rider's Eye Part III
    By dirtragart in forum Passion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 11:32 AM
  3. Passion Hit - Roadie Style! (LONG)
    By parkmeister in forum Passion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 03:11 PM
  4. need advice on improving the endurance of the backs of my legs
    By laotsu42 in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 12:26 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •