mtbr member

Fells Orange Loop Questions

On the East side of the park there's a sign stating the trail is closed (unfortunately that sign is placed on single track after any trail turn offs so you have to ride back to the previous crossing to change your route. Does anyone know what this will be open for hiking/riding?

Do people ride the orange loop all the way around the park? Perhaps it was just my first time around and I wimped out on some technicalities, but on the west side of the park (where the green splits to the right and the orange goes straightish/leftish) there are some section of orange trails that aren't much fun to ride. Am I just being a wimp?

Dissolved member
    Where exactly? Is it this spot?

mtbr member
    Yes.

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    On the East side of the park there's a sign stating the trail is closed (unfortunately that sign is placed on single track after any trail turn offs so you have to ride back to the previous crossing to change your route. Does anyone know what this will be open for hiking/riding?

Do people ride the orange loop all the way around the park? Perhaps it was just my first time around and I wimped out on some technicalities, but on the west side of the park (where the green splits to the right and the orange goes straightish/leftish) there are some section of orange trails that aren't much fun to ride. Am I just being a wimp?
    Does anyone know what this will be open for hiking/riding?

- there are no completely closed portions of the orange trail. there were portions that were re-routed, with that sign closing off the old trail. but the new trail should be really clear and easy to find and follow

Do people ride the orange loop all the way around the park?

- "West Side" Fells usually refers to the portion of the park west of I-93. "East Side" is east of I-93. If by west side you mean west of the reservoir, yeah, there are a couple of spots that when the orange loop is ridden counter-clockwise are pretty near unrideable. Doesn't mean no one can do it - but very, very few can. This is due to shitty trail design. Clockwise the whole orange loop can be ridden without a foot down by someone with good skills.

Am I just being a wimp?

- Yes. :-)

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by simian23 View Post
    by west side you mean west of the reservoir, yeah, there are a couple of spots that when the orange loop is ridden counter-clockwise are pretty near unrideable. Doesn't mean no one can do it - but very, very few can. This is due to shitty trail design.
    Please please please please leave the trail shitty as is, those are some of the best fun spots!

mtbr member
    Clockwise the whole orange loop can be ridden without a foot down by someone with good skills.
    You're suppose to ride it clockwise?

I've always done it counter-clockwise and wondered how anyone got up the rock climb after the bridges.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know what this will be open for hiking/riding?

- there are no completely closed portions of the orange trail. there were portions that were re-routed, with that sign closing off the old trail. but the new trail should be really clear and easy to find and follow

Do people ride the orange loop all the way around the park?

- "West Side" Fells usually refers to the portion of the park west of I-93. "East Side" is east of I-93. If by west side you mean west of the reservoir, yeah, there are a couple of spots that when the orange loop is ridden counter-clockwise are pretty near unrideable. Doesn't mean no one can do it - but very, very few can. This is due to shitty trail design. Clockwise the whole orange loop can be ridden without a foot down by someone with good skills.

Am I just being a wimp?

- Yes. :-)
    Ah, rode it last night in the clockwise direction with the NEMBA group and it felt like a completely different trail... Very nice. I probably was being a little wimpy that day too...

Good to know about that sign and portion of trail. I don't notice any other trail so I was really thinking the sign applied to the trail I was riding. Might be time to take down the sign.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    Ah, rode it last night in the clockwise direction with the NEMBA group and it felt like a completely different trail... Very nice. I probably was being a little wimpy that day too...
    Hi Dan, it was good to ride with you last night!

^^^^^^^^
    This guy is no wimp, he has some serious skills!

crash test dummy
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Please please please please leave the trail shitty as is, those are some of the best fun spots!
    Harold Parker is a really clear example of trails that aren't shitty but still very technical. Not shitty doesn' t mean not challenging.

Those of us redesigning the trails all find the same stuff fun that you do. The difference is, we don't want to have to go back and rebuild these trails year after year. They need to be sustainable.

Dissolved member
    I am with you but it would be sad if a majority of the Orange trail were transformed to a single track similar to its newest re-routed section.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Hi Dan, it was good to ride with you last night!

^^^^^^^^
    This guy is no wimp, he has some serious skills!
    It was fun being shown around! I can't believe I didn't even notice any 650B tires in the group otherwise I might have known it was you.