Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Good job! Fat Cactus (former Naked Fish) Parking Situation (04/12/10)

We want to inform the riding community regarding the availability of parking at the newly opened Fat Cactus Restaurant located 215 Broadway (RT 1N) Lynnfield, MA.

A number of mountain bikers in the past month have been told not to using the Fat Cactus parking lot any longer, but to park up behind the Bostonville Grille. The Fat Cactus Restaurant is affiliated with the Bostonville Grille and is managed/owned by the same group.

Today (04/12/10) we have spoken to the operations manager for both the Fat Cactus and Bostonville Grille. The riding community will be allowed to utilize the parking lot at The Fat Cactus for riding in Lynn Woods providing a few rules of etiquette are followed.

1. Please pay a little patronage to the restaurant if you are a continuous user of the lot since this is private property and the parking lot is really for paying customers.

2. Please park in the spots that are located along the grass/tree line of the parking lot. Leave the spaces in along the building and middle of the lot open to paying customers.

3. Management asks there be no more beverage/food gatherings in the lot.

Dieselbikes will be hosting our Tuesday night rides from this location as previously stated on our website and Facebook. We have received preliminary approval from management to host mountain bike movie nights on Tuesday after our group ride between the hours of 8:00pm to 10:00pm. We will finalize these details with them in the next few weeks and post the movie night schedule.

Again, we ask the mountain bike community to inform your fellow riders, respect the rules for parking and support the restaurant when you can since they are letting the riding community park there free of charge.

If you have any questions or comments, please let us know!
    For Information Regarding The New England Mountain Bike Scene:
    Visit DIESELBIKES.com

Black Lion
    or you could just park inside the reservation
    Voltron

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for posting this. That parking lot fills up real quick on weekends and at night. Good to know that we're allowed to park there.

( )
    Nov 2004
    how are the burritos?

Clown
    Nov 2009
    nice work diesel

MC MasterShake
    I rode by there today after my ride. It smelled pretty good in there. They had the big windows open and a bunch of outdoor seating. Could make for a good post ride place to eat and grab beers.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    We had our first Tuesday Night ride this week. The beer was ice cold, the food was tasty.
    Visit DIESELBIKES.com

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Parking Update

This was short lived and situations always change, but the parking arrangement for mountain bikers at the Fat Cactus Restaurant (former Naked Fish) has been removed.

Management at this location had some problems in the past few weeks and the end result is mountain bikers are no longer allowed to use their parking lot. The Fat Cactus has posted signs and reserves the right to tow any vehicle that is utilizing there parking lot other then eating in the restaurant.

Management has indicated that parking in the gravel lot behind the Bostonville Restaurant is still ok for the mountain bike community. Bostonville is about 100yard past the Fat Cactus and is owned and operated by the same group.

If anything changes with this situation, we will let the community know. For now, please spread the word and respect the restaurantís decision.
    Visit DIESELBIKES.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well that stinks, but I don't blame them. That parking lot is FULL after 6:30 and I'm sure us riders have cost them plenty of business from taking up their parking spots.

The gravel lot behind Bostonville isn't that big, I will bet that will fill up pretty quick...

Thanks for letting us know about this!
    '08 Stumpy
    '10 Enduro
    '11 Transition TR250

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Any reasons stated in particular?

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonBull
    Any reasons stated in particular?
    Sorry to link to the other site...

http://bustedspoke.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=52950

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Guys,

A friend of mine just text'd me saying that they put up signs at the Bostonville gravel lot banning mountain bikers
    They must have put them up either today or Sunday since I didnt see any signs when I rode on Saturday.

So does this make the IHOP parking lot the final place to park along Rt1?
    If I recall, the trails behind ihop don't reach to the North Side/Powerlines with out having to ride on the highway, correct?
    '08 Stumpy
    '10 Enduro
    '11 Transition TR250

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    this is bull ****. From what I understand they dont own that lot. That is a municipal lot.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash 79
    Guys,

A friend of mine just text'd me saying that they put up signs at the Bostonville gravel lot banning mountain bikers
    They must have put them up either today or Sunday since I didnt see any signs when I rode on Saturday.

So does this make the IHOP parking lot the final place to park along Rt1?
    If I recall, the trails behind ihop don't reach to the North Side/Powerlines with out having to ride on the highway, correct?
    I saw that today myself. I didn't think they owned that lot since I see the car dealership cars parked there all the time and the water tower entrance is right there as well. Banning us from this lot doesn't make sense since you can't see this lot from the restaurant. It seems punitive at this point.
    Come stay and play at da Kingdom Trails! - http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3486813

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Obviously, from IHOP, the most direct way to the powerlines is riding up Rt1, about 2/3mile distance (3500ft). There's a wide breakdown lane, but vehicles move fast. There's an earlier access to Sharks tooth before the powerlines, that'll cut a few hundred feet off of highway riding so you'll have to look for the inlet. Actually, the IHOP parking lot is near the levy on the west side of Walden pond that's part of LW. It looks like an area of potential access to the levy through some neighborhood streets--if not through the woods directly east of the parking lot. The problem is that I've ridden that area and while the south side of LW is easily accessible, the north side is not. In fact, I tried to find a connecting trail between the levy and the beginning of Shark's tooth that runs parallel to Rt1 and couldn't.

The other parking lots between the powerlines and IHOP are small and not good. North of the powerlines there are car dealerships and then Lynnfield Commons, the new condos. After that, there are some more small businesses. I've known people to park on the far north closer to Salem street to access LW through the old quarry next the condos, but all the lots there aren't condusive to a lot of bikers parking there. I think if people started parking there for biking, they'd get noticed pretty quickly.

I really feel for you guys after this situation started with the parking. I live next to LW and know the area and every time I drive home on Rt1, I look and think of alternative ways for bikers to access, but it really looks like slim pickin's for parking. Driving up Rt1 and then taking 129 East to Lynn to the ballfield entrance will add about 8 to 10 mins (each way), more depending on traffic. As I've observed, the traffic on 129/Salem street going toward Goodwin Circle gets backedup anywhere between 4pm and 5pm and can get heavy, adding at least 8 more minutes to the commute. As far as I have seen, there's no good parking area between Rt1 and the ballfield entrance. There's some residential areas of access, but no parking lots.

Further north on Rt1, beyond the Lynnfield tunnel, there's the large Carrabba's Restaurant and Holiday Inn parking lot that is about 2/3rds of a mile from Bostonville grille.

Can someone clarify the ownership of the lot behind Bostonville?
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    From IHOP, go north to Hawkes St (yankee custom may still be on that corner), take a right, go by the house trailers, bear left after awhile, into the woods and you are at the N end of the dam with good trail all the way to the jersey barriers on Route 1 just south of the powerlines. May be a problem when the lake is high behind Lexington Furniture.

Had my truck window smashed behind IHOP a number of years ago. Fine line between visibility to deter miscreants and pissing off the landowners/businesses. This was a standard spot when NE bikes was in that plaza, also a brew pub where the tire place is now.

MBN
    mtbr member
    Fat Cactus will be out of business soon.

Hopefully the next owners will allow parking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MBN
    Fat Cactus will be out of business soon.

Hopefully the next owners will allow parking.
    Out of business soon?? Have you seen the parking lot? Its FULL every night. You must know something we don't.

Its too bad the Bostonville thing didnt work out. I'd be willing to pay a few bucks to park there...
    '08 Stumpy
    '10 Enduro
    '11 Transition TR250

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Good job!

UPDATE:

A friend was at the gravel lot behind Bostonville today and told me that the Parking Ban signs were no longer there. Also there were a few vehicles parked there that looked to be riders.

I hope this lot stays legit. I'm too lazy to park at the ball fields and ride up to the good trails on the North Side
    '08 Stumpy
    '10 Enduro
    '11 Transition TR250

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Two Sundays ago we had a couple beers after a ride at Bostonville and spoke to Mark, the owner of Bostonville and The Cactus. He has no problem with bikers parking in the side lot as long as you use some common sense when doing so. He told us that coming week there would be some youth baseball functions ending this past Saturday. Probably the reason for the temporary signage. After that, the lot should be available to bikers. Lets just not overdo it. Don't expect to park there during the playoffs for any sport. If it looks to busy to park there, go somewhere else. He's been very cool about letting people park on his property so lets all try to be the same. For those lacking the common sense to know better: Try parking close to one another. Back up enough to not crowd the lower spots. Don't hang your junk out so the kids playing skeeball can see it. Don't be a ****** to the doorman/bouncer if he asks you to move or leave. Don't play Dukes of Hazzard on your way out either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kubaner
    Two Sundays ago we had a couple beers after a ride at Bostonville and spoke to Mark, the owner of Bostonville and The Cactus. He has no problem with bikers parking in the side lot as long as you use some common sense when doing so. He told us that coming week there would be some youth baseball functions ending this past Saturday. Probably the reason for the temporary signage. After that, the lot should be available to bikers. Lets just not overdo it. Don't expect to park there during the playoffs for any sport. If it looks to busy to park there, go somewhere else. He's been very cool about letting people park on his property so lets all try to be the same. For those lacking the common sense to know better: Try parking close to one another. Back up enough to not crowd the lower spots. Don't hang your junk out so the kids playing skeeball can see it. Don't be a ****** to the doorman/bouncer if he asks you to move or leave. Don't play Dukes of Hazzard on your way out either.
    this would make sense if he actually had totally ownership of the lot which he does not.
    The city of lynn has verified that there should be spots available within this lot for trail users. he does not have the authority to put up those signs in that lot!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Doro
    this would make sense if he actually had totally ownership of the lot which he does not.
    The city of lynn has verified that there should be spots available within this lot for trail users. he does not have the authority to put up those signs in that lot!
    Where did you get your information? That lot is in Lynnfield, not Lynn.
    Remember, you are unique, just like everyone else.

Clown
    Nov 2009
    years ago we use to park in the lynnfield meat & deli lot. it is a small lot but usually no cars. back then the owner (property owner) was cool about riders parking there. might be time to revisit that. plus you can grab a sandwich and a six pack post ride and your good to go

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I spoke to the owner today. He gave the ok to park in the gravel lot behind bostonville again "for a long time". HE only needs that lot free for functions, or when he knows he's going to be busy, in which case he'll put the sign out back. So just respect the sign and he's cool. HE seemed like a real nice guy, and very reasonable. Let's just all keep buying beer at his places and he'll stay happy...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Aust95
    Where did you get your information? That lot is in Lynnfield, not Lynn.
    The info i have is legit. call lynnfield and ask yourself. His dumpster sits on a few of the spots desiginated for trail users. The car dealership and the sports club do lease part of the lot from the town but it not all theres.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast