Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: fat bikes

  1. #1
    blet drive
    Reputation: JUNGLEKID5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,059

    fat bikes

    Any one ridding a fat bike or getting one for the winter?
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

  2. #2
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    Any one ridding a fat bike or getting one for the winter?
    Real fat bike - no. Real big tires - yes.


  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    519
    How you liking the wallgoose? I'm close to getting one.

  4. #4
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,629
    There are few stock parts left on my Fatwally, I found most of the replacements in my drawers with old parts though. The stock gearing is too tall for any offroad action, I run (IIRC) 21x34 with cheap Vuelta cranks. Stock tubes and tires are gawd awful, too. I am having tons of fun on this bike though, the coaster brake makes it special. If you run into a crazy guy on a Beast in the Fells, it is most likely me. It is fun riding with next door pals and kicking their ass on this thing.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pucelano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    77
    A few weeks ago I bought a Motobecane FB4-Elite. So far it has been a blast. Yesterday and today I rode part of the Chaos trail in Worcester--I wasn't the only one on a fat bike, as I saw the tracks of at least two others.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hobine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    126

    fat bikes

    Picked mine up off Craigslist a month ago. It's the most fun I've had on a bike in years and one hell of a workout. I'm just north of Worcester.


  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thecanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    675
    Love my Moonlander.
    It's a blast on snow, dirt and sand.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    There are few stock parts left on my Fatwally, I found most of the replacements in my drawers with old parts though. The stock gearing is too tall for any offroad action, I run (IIRC) 21x34 with cheap Vuelta cranks. Stock tubes and tires are gawd awful, too. I am having tons of fun on this bike though, the coaster brake makes it special. If you run into a crazy guy on a Beast in the Fells, it is most likely me. It is fun riding with next door pals and kicking their ass on this thing.
    ...you know its STI for sure if you see some one with a bottle of vodka in his bottle cage :P









    side note, how are things? been on two fat rides this week, its been dam cold up here!
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

  9. #9
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    ...you know its STI for sure if you see some one with a bottle of vodka in his bottle cage :P

    side note, how are things? been on two fat rides this week, its been dam cold up here!
    LOL you could not be more wrong about the vodka, I carry a hip flask full of Slivovitz.

    Things have been fine, cold but I did a Fatwally ride on Thu, a fixie ride yesterday, and a bit of Fatwally riding today again.

    Btw. a brand spanking new Turner DHR frame is incoming, I am going to set it up single speed.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vice grips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    784
    Btw. a brand spanking new Turner DHR frame is incoming, I am going to set it up single speed. [/QUOTE]

    YOU DA MAN!
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    96
    Don't ride a fat bike and I'm not planning on getting one but I'll be riding all winter. I mainly ride at LLF in burlington in the winter as it sees a decent amount of foot/bike traffic and the trails become rideable quickly. I went yesterday before the storm and friday and had an amazing ride both days. Noticed that there were some tracks from fat bikes. Actually managed to average a little over 9mph for both rides despite the snow/ice covered trail (ill chalk it up to the extremely cold temperatures haha)

  12. #12
    blet drive
    Reputation: JUNGLEKID5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,059
    very nice
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AMjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    186
    Yeah I am definitely interested in getting a fattie this winter. I rode my Bronson up until the big dump, the Hans Dampfs turned out to be great winter tires for packed trails. The square blocks hook up with no problems at all.

    Every year I look upon with envy at people riding fatties on the trails. Hoping to actually get one this year. For me those ski toe warmers are critical to riding this time of year. They make it possible to ride for about 2 hours in my regular cycling shoes before my toes start to freeze.

    Hobine nice score on that Mukluk! How did I miss that one?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thecanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Rager View Post
    Don't ride a fat bike and I'm not planning on getting one but I'll be riding all winter. I mainly ride at LLF in burlington in the winter as it sees a decent amount of foot/bike traffic and the trails become rideable quickly. I went yesterday before the storm and friday and had an amazing ride both days. Noticed that there were some tracks from fat bikes. Actually managed to average a little over 9mph for both rides despite the snow/ice covered trail (ill chalk it up to the extremely cold temperatures haha)
    I'd be interested in hearing LLF conditions during the winter. I live in Burlington and ride there or the Res. Always looking for decent winter trails or it's a road trip to the Cape.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    There are few stock parts left on my Fatwally, I found most of the replacements in my drawers with old parts though. The stock gearing is too tall for any offroad action, I run (IIRC) 21x34 with cheap Vuelta cranks. Stock tubes and tires are gawd awful, too. I am having tons of fun on this bike though, the coaster brake makes it special. If you run into a crazy guy on a Beast in the Fells, it is most likely me. It is fun riding with next door pals and kicking their ass on this thing.
    The stock tires and tubes are supposed to be REALLY heavy. Looks like fun.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,172
    I'm running what I call and 1x1 1/2 fat on the Surly 1x1. With gears. 35 mm rims and 3" downhill tires fit with stock rigid fork and rear wheel slid out 1/2 way in the dropout. Nice. Wicked in lemon lime green.

  17. #17
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    The stock tires and tubes are supposed to be REALLY heavy. Looks like fun.
    Thank you. Fun it definitely is! When you have a dirt cheap bike, you are not afraid of riding it crazy conditions like in a middle of a snow storm.


  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    75
    I picked up a Moonlander over the summer. Got it from Fritz's because the owner is my neighbor. There are at least 4 other fat bike owners that ride in the Rutland SP area. Only a couple snow rides so far. It competes with skiing and hiking...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing LLF conditions during the winter. I live in Burlington and ride there or the Res. Always looking for decent winter trails or it's a road trip to the Cape.
    LLF is great in the winter. I have ridden there a good amount over the past two winters with great success. It sees a lot of foot, bike, and xc ski use so the trails tend to get packed down pretty quickly for the most part. Honestly though, if you live in Burlington you might as well just get over there and check it out for yourself. Maybe just go for a walk and see what you think.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pauldotcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    757
    Are you guys riding the fat bikes now even with the 10" or so of snow? Just wondering how they do in these types of conditions.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hobine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    126

    fat bikes

    They don't go through deep soft snow very well, or deep slushy snow for that matter. Packed snow is the best with snow up to 4" or so a close second.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: icecreamjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauldotcom View Post
    Are you guys riding the fat bikes now even with the 10" or so of snow? Just wondering how they do in these types of conditions.
    10" is too much. You'll need to pack that down before riding. Fatbikes are a blast but they don't work miracles. They aren't going to float on top of powder, but they do float well over packed surfaces. With 10" you'll need to go out with snowshoes or XC skis to pack a path before riding.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

  23. #23
    blet drive
    Reputation: JUNGLEKID5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,059
    Good to know
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pucelano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    77
    Went out for a quick ride today. Unfortunately the high temperatures have softened up the snow, so the going was tough. Other than lost of walking in those areas, it was fun in the hard packed snow.

    Name:  856347d1387590142t-show-us-your-moto-fatbikes-cam00029~2.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  50.5 KB

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Hobine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    126

    fat bikes

    Snow was soft today for sure but with rain and mid 40's forecasted for the next 3 days I figured I'd better get out.

    Going was tough on virgin trails.

    I did get onto some trails that were packed by snowmobiles, much better but still tough. 4 miles felt like 15 but still better than not riding.
    Should be good when temps get below freezing again.
    Last edited by Hobine; 12-21-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 85
    Last Post: 07-31-2014, 06:10 AM
  2. People Who Ride Bikes Other Than Mountain Bikes are Strange
    By dirtdan in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 08:37 AM
  3. Bikes shops with female specific bikes in stock?
    By Hud in forum Australia, New Zealand
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM
  4. Replies: 90
    Last Post: 04-03-2011, 11:49 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 08:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •