Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Fall Leaf Blowing

Are there any trail systems around central MA that get leaf blown for the fall? I've been riding Leominster a lot recently and its awesome but the wet slippery leaves definitely ruin my stoke a little bit.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I can only help with eastern Mass. HP was leaf blown last weekend for the wicked ride event.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    In the Groton area MIT,the Wharton plantation (sledgehammer and boom box) and TPL are all either completely blown or in the process of. Ananconda is mostly done.

mtbr member
    5 of us got out and rode parts of the Groton trail complex yesterday(Saturday)....sledgehammer and BoomBox....thanks very much for clearing the leaves....really nice shape. This was my second visit to the area....some really nice flow and tech trails.....we have been exploring and have gotten lost a few times but it is coming together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fall Leaf Blowing-image.jpg  

There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J View Post
    In the Groton area MIT,the Wharton plantation (sledgehammer and boom box) and TPL are all either completely blown or in the process of. Ananconda is mostly done.
    Awesome! Do you know if that big tree that fell recently on Anaconda was taken care of yet?

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Yep thats all set. Anaconda still needs more blowing but it's totally rideable as is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Sweet, I imagine its awesome even if it could use a little more blowing. Leominster hasn't been touched and I went again today and it was fantastic now that the leaves are a little drier.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    As much as I love the leaf blown trails it is a lot of fun getting a good slide going thru the leaves.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I rode vietnam today. Full of leaves but I liked it. Provided a little cushioning to the trails.
    Had one of my best times there today, great fall riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana View Post
    5 of us got out and rode parts of the Groton trail complex yesterday(Saturday)....sledgehammer and BoomBox....thanks very much for clearing the leaves....really nice shape. This was my second visit to the area....some really nice flow and tech trails.....we have been exploring and have gotten lost a few times but it is coming together.
    You wouldn't happen to have an up to date map of the area, would you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcbert-4 View Post
    I'm not sure there is an updated map available. I was looking for one a few weeks ago and didnt have luck.

I ended up using Strava to find out which routes people have been riding recently and locate where the trails start and it worked very well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone ride HP this weekend? I have some time tomorrow and thought about checking it out for the first time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by millargeo View Post
    Anyone ride HP this weekend? I have some time tomorrow and thought about checking it out for the first time.

I just got back from riding HP. I've only been there twice now. My first time was at the wicked ride.

Today was awesome, trails were in amazing shape and I decided to explore mainly near Brackett Pond. I hadn't ridden that area yet and the trails over there are sick. Incredibly flowy and a few extremely technical spots that will absolutely have you walking if you aren't a really skilled biker.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rager View Post
    Are there any trail systems around central MA that get leaf blown for the fall? I've been riding Leominster a lot recently and its awesome but the wet slippery leaves definitely ruin my stoke a little bit.
    You could improve your stoke by blowing the leaves off the trail yourself.
    Always works for me

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kubaner View Post
    You could improve your stoke by blowing the leaves off the trail yourself.
    Always works for me
    That is a valid statement but being a full-time student I'm not willing/able to drop a couple hundred dollars on a leaf blower that is capable of clearing trails reasonably well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rager View Post
    That is a valid statement but being a full-time student I'm not willing/able to drop a couple hundred dollars on a leaf blower that is capable of clearing trails reasonably well.
    Home depot and other places rent backpack blowers for not all that much. If you ride a trail(s) enough through fall and winter that the leaves impead your stoke then its worth the investment of funds and time. I have a set of trails that I ride a few times a week and I'll get out there to blow next weekend or the one after. That being said I can't do the work on every trail I ride so you have to be selective about the ones you ride the most if you limited on time and/or money.

memento mori
    Feb 2004
    Thats the nice thing about the MIT/Wharton/TPL area,there's about ten different people with blowers that all get out and do their share of the work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bcbert-4 View Post
    2 of the guys were using Strava to look for the route....it was tough...we got lost a few times this past weekend and the weekend prior(although we concentrated on Anaconda and TPL that weekend).....
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    A six pack and a rake can be pretty fun too. You can cover some pretty good ground just walking and raking. Last fall we ran into Tom at Bruce and Tom's while riding. He was raking. Every week he hit another section of trail and had the place in sweet shape in no time, all by himself. More fun than studying

mtbr member
    I used to buy a cheap metal tined rake (I like the metal ones for trail raking) and leave it in the woods. I would ride out, rake for a bit, then when I got bored I would leave the rake hidden somewhere and continue riding. Just remember where you leave your rake. I lost 3 or 4 out there over the years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kubaner View Post
    A six pack and a rake can be pretty fun too.
    Bingo. A rake also does a more precise job. Some people really get carried away with the leaf blowers and end up going far too wide.

It might not be a bad idea to try to find out who usually maintains the trails before going out and blowing them, and seeing what they think about clearing the leaves off. I know we've got some trails that we don't want blown at all. Also, in general, when/if we clear our trails, we try to use it as an opportunity to make sure they're defined as narrow ribbons. I would be bent if somebody went out and blew them all 3 or 4' wide, as I've seen done in a lot of places.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID J View Post
    Yep thats all set. Anaconda still needs more blowing but it's totally rideable as is.
    Does anyone ever see any hunters at the Groton trails (Anaconda, Boombox, Sledgehammer etc.)? I have ridden GTF in the fall for years not giving any thought to hunters and never really saw any. Turns out they hunt there too. Recently I was told that if my dog is chasing a deer it is legal in the state of Mass to shoot it. So the thought of some trigger/bow happy moron “accidentally” shooting me or my dog irks me some.

Leaf blowing trails is a great idea. I did a few local trails in Bolton and it went pretty quick. I used a backpack leaf blower, two tanks of gas and covered about 2-3 miles in 1.5 hours. Just point straight and walk (the quickest way, you feel a bit like Moses parting the sea), sweep a bit on the rocky parts and heavy leafed areas but this slows things down. Riding with the leaves can be a little fun but slow things down way too much and are more a hazard than anything else.

I rode Russel Mills the other day, first time there and it was a leafy mess. I guess it could be fun when clear, but its one of those places you need to know by heart to get the most out of.

mtbr member
    Pittsfield State Forest

I Blew It - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by screamingbunny View Post
    Pittsfield State Forest

I Blew It - YouTube
    You sir are a pimp!

Your dog is loving the red carpet treatment. Thats right human clear that trail for me.

mtbr member
    Not me, someone I ride with...but yes he is a pimp

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast